U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:23 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,310,051 times

Advertisements

If I were to raise a family, it would be in Gold Country. In general, I find the people friendlier there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 PM

30,542 posts, read 33,365,250 times
I like the Bay Area. Why? Because I was born and raised here, so my kids were, and also my own parents. It's a family thing.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,320,102 times
Ok, this is very subjective. However with that in mind my pick is the Central Coast of course. We're raising our kids along the Monterey Peninsula and everyone really enjoys it here. This is after living with them in CO and also SoCal (Torrance). What do we like about Monterey over the other areas? Well, there are wide open spaces here, incredible beauty with Big Sur in our backyard. There are many opportunities for outdoor activities year round from hiking, biking, backpacking, bird/whale watching, scuba diving, kayaking, surfing, golf, beach combing, etc... We are just far enough away from the Bay area to visit it when we want to yet removed from the massive throngs of ppl and traffic we grew so tired of in SoCal. It's like small town living with the majority of the benefits of larger towns/cities minus the traffic, smog, overcrowding, etc...

That said CA is such a huge state with many places you could enjoy raising a family. Much will depend on you and the things your family really enjoys/values. I grew up in the South Bay (Hermosa, Manahattan, Redondo, Torrance) and had a fun time there. Its gotten a lot more crowded over the years. But the South Bay is still a nice place to live for many. My dad taught my cousin and I how to surf at Seal Beach BTW. Its a nice little beach community as well.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-04-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 03:32 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,637,612 times
Where to raise a family?
first choice, a town under a thousand in population.
second choice, a town under 10,000 in population.
third choice, a town under 50,000 in population.

That is it, whether Central Coast, North Coast, Mountains, desert, even Trona is better than one of California's megalopolises.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 8,372 times
I used to be under a different name but due to my stalking nieghbors I had to change names, they took over admin. Privliges on my router while dog sitting for us and were getting my visited website logs e-mailed to them. Sick people. Anyhow, mtnsurfer you may remember me from last year because I posted about not liking nc and I was hoping to get my wife to consider moving to ca. Well she isn't sold on it but has been willing to talk about it which is a start. I grew up in long beach ca and I also used to surf in seal beach and boogey board on the south side of the pier. After researching some cheaper good areas in ca that you recomended to someone else on a different thread I have really zoomed in on Felton, Ca. You had recomended Ben Lomond as a nice town to live in but I couldn't afford anything there yet, but Felton has some fixer-uppers in my price range. I have been there once as a high schooler, we lived in Hayward for a year and did a day trip to the redwood forests around there and then Santa Cruz for a few hours. I still remember how beautiful it was, how much I loved it there and in Santa Cruz and that was 29yrs ago. I am hoping to get out for a visit sometime this year. The other place I'm researching is temecula, but it's all subdivisions like where I live now and I think I am too burnt-out on the subdivision thing. I have been trying to figure out where in the USA I could live in the mountains but within reasonable distance to the ocean, and that area fits the bill perfectly. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:19 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,320,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca2ny2nc2? View Post
I used to be under a different name but due to my stalking nieghbors I had to change names, they took over admin. Privliges on my router while dog sitting for us and were getting my visited website logs e-mailed to them. Sick people. Anyhow, mtnsurfer you may remember me from last year because I posted about not liking nc and I was hoping to get my wife to consider moving to ca. Well she isn't sold on it but has been willing to talk about it which is a start. I grew up in long beach ca and I also used to surf in seal beach and boogey board on the south side of the pier. After researching some cheaper good areas in ca that you recomended to someone else on a different thread I have really zoomed in on Felton, Ca. You had recomended Ben Lomond as a nice town to live in but I couldn't afford anything there yet, but Felton has some fixer-uppers in my price range. I have been there once as a high schooler, we lived in Hayward for a year and did a day trip to the redwood forests around there and then Santa Cruz for a few hours. I still remember how beautiful it was, how much I loved it there and in Santa Cruz and that was 29yrs ago. I am hoping to get out for a visit sometime this year. The other place I'm researching is temecula, but it's all subdivisions like where I live now and I think I am too burnt-out on the subdivision thing. I have been trying to figure out where in the USA I could live in the mountains but within reasonable distance to the ocean, and that area fits the bill perfectly. Thanks.
Cool Ca2ny2nc2?, glad to help. Hopefully you guys can get back to the West Coast.

Yeah Felton is very centrally located in the Santa Cruz mountains. Its actually closer to Hwy 17. So you could get to SC or San Jose quicker than Ben Lomond. We were just up there with our kids hiking among the redwoods in Henry Cowell Redwoods SP.

Derek

Old 06-04-2011, 08:20 PM

315 posts, read 310,773 times
Not Fresno.

I think I'd like to raise my family along the central or northern coast, personally.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 AM

17,447 posts, read 23,894,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Orange County's probably the only county that's family oriented and friendly than the rest of California.
You could not be more wrong.
Personally I wouldn't raise kids anywhere south of Monterey County and I wouldn't raise kids in SoCal if I had any. If you have to be in OC there are some places better than others. Just like if you have to be in LA County there are some places better than others. And the same goes for the other SoCal counties - some places are better than others. But no SoCal county is as good of a place to raise kids as Northern or Central CA.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 AM

15,300 posts, read 17,714,809 times
I would say Carmel Valley, if you can afford it. I have many happy memories from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or