U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2011, 11:25 AM
 
2,093 posts, read 3,924,108 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No they don't.... The world is competitive, if your kids can't compete against a bunch of kids from 3rd world countries then perhaps they shouldn't be going to college? If you can't compete against a guy from India....again...perhaps you don't deserve your job?

Old stock Americans have always complained about new immigrants, its the whole "burn the bridge after you've walked across" notion. Today is no different, but today there is an added racial element because the new immigrants are largely non-white.

Regardless, I would agree that many people ignore things until it personally effects them, but not everyone is like this.

He was talking about illegal immigrants. As usual, you always put your own spin on things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,407,659 times
Reputation: 4314
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
He was talking about illegal immigrants. As usual, you always put your own spin on things.
Huh? I know he was.....illegal immigration was actually more common in the past...not less. The only reason why old stock Americans aren't a bunch of illegals is because anybody that is born here is a citizen and their ancestors immigrated years ago hence all their illegal grandparents, great grandparents, etc have already died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM
 
15,712 posts, read 9,207,244 times
Reputation: 14155
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I'm assuming you know how to use a search engine. For example, "education cuts in California" will surely lead you to the amount that has been cut from the education budget.


Yes, because you can always take what politicians say at face value right?

This is pretty obvious, he wants to run for governor but also knows he is too far left and is seen as a partisan. Going to Texas is just an opportunity to change his political imagine, speaking out against other democrats is just to give the appearance of bipartisan.

But you are free to think he is legitimately going to Texas to learn about their success...


This of course is ridiculous, we just had a Republican governor for 2 terms. As a whole California is center-left, its just a handful of areas that swing more left (bay area, west LA, etc), most areas are in the center or right leaning.

I'm glad you have already moved!
Actually, I did look. And the only thing I could find anywhere was proposed cuts, and protests against cuts. As you've made the claim, ball's in your court. Until you prove there actually WERE cuts, I'm going with it being a LIE.

So now Newsom's the one lying? More proof of just how desperate the left is getting.

For the record, Arnold was Republican in name only. He did nothing rightwing the whole time he held office.

I lived in CA - I know that the whole state swings so far left it's hanging off the edge. But you can delude yourself that liberal nutjobs are mainstream. I get it.

I'm glad I moved also. I no longer have to listen to left wing crackpots shriek about the "children", all the while they run the once-great-state of CA into the ground. I got out while I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,880,377 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Everyone has a breaking point ... That's the lesson you can glean from any progressive group of scenarios .. that breaking point is hit sooner if the scenarios impact them vs. another and the person has the mental facilities to understand how it impacts them .. Some are ignorant of how it impacts them.. this impacts how much they care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No they don't.... The world is competitive, if your kids can't compete against a bunch of kids from 3rd world countries then perhaps they shouldn't be going to college? If you can't compete against a guy from India....again...perhaps you don't deserve your job?

Old stock Americans have always complained about new immigrants, its the whole "burn the bridge after you've walked across" notion. Today is no different, but today there is an added racial element because the new immigrants are largely non-white.

Regardless, I would agree that many people ignore things until it personally effects them, but not everyone is like this.
Everyone has a breaking point. If you don't believe that, you have a mental problem.

The world is competitive .. yes and colleges have a limited # of slots.
Kid A (US citizen) w/ 4.75 gpa
Kid B (illegal alien) w/ 4.75 gpa

Kid A gets rejected as there is only one slot and Kid B is a "minority" ...
That's all it takes .. so much for being competitive right?

Give your false classifications a rest .. I'm mixed 50 ways to sunday ..
I have Garcia's in my family .. I have whites in my family .. I have african American .. and even Asian.

Someone points out a flaw and they're racist .. Where have we heard this logic before? trying to burn bridges after they crossed.. hey, go to tell that the the tens of millions of unemployed Americans... Tell em they're racist ... Tell the legal immigrant from Mexico whose family is struggling because you keep letting over illegals that he's racist. Go tell the family whose kid just got rejected (even though they were equally or more qualified) from their select college because some illegal immigrant got preference that they're racist...

Everyone take note of the re-occurring theme :
I got mine. I have my beliefs .. If you don't agree w/ them you're racist ... I want to give more of my money for x so should you .... I like to feel good about myself at night .. Feeling like I changed the world ... If that results in an illegal immigrant being treated better than an American citizen so be it .. If you don't like it, something is wrong w/ you and your kids.. They're lazy.. or probably dumb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,880,377 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Huh? I know he was.....illegal immigration was actually more common in the past...not less. The only reason why old stock Americans aren't a bunch of illegals is because anybody that is born here is a citizen and their ancestors immigrated years ago hence all their illegal grandparents, great grandparents, etc have already died.
Once a wrong .. Always let it be a wrong .. No reason to fix things ...
Johny robbed a liquor store and never got prosecuted so why you over here prosecuting me? Yeah, there are no more liquor stores because we keep robbing them? O'well... Let us rob until the last one is gone...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,407,659 times
Reputation: 4314
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
The world is competitive .. yes and colleges have a limited # of slots.
Kid A (US citizen) w/ 4.75 gpa
Kid B (illegal alien) w/ 4.75 gpa

Kid A gets rejected as there is only one slot and Kid B is a "minority" ...
That's all it takes .. so much for being competitive right?
Why is Kid 1 getting rejected? GPA is just one part of a college application, no two applicants have the same application. The process is entirely competitive, with the exception that public university typically only accept a certain number of out-of-state and/or foreign students.

But more importantly, isn't it utterly bizarre not to give someone who is a top student documents to stay in the country legally?

I have no idea why you are going on and on about racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,880,377 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Why is Kid 1 getting rejected? GPA is just one part of a college application, no two applicants have the same application. The process is entirely competitive, with the exception that public university typically only accept a certain number of out-of-state and/or foreign students.

But more importantly, isn't it utterly bizarre not to give someone who is a top student documents to stay in the country legally?

I have no idea why you are going on and on about racism.
Maybe because you claimed that people who don't agree w/ illegal immigration are racist ... As for why that 1 kid gets rejected .. Maybe you are too old to remember how college admissions works or maybe you never worked in college admissions but equally qualified candidates are turned away all the time.. Sometimes a dice is rolled or #'s are picked out of a hat. If it happens that 1 US student .. just one gets rejected over an illegal .. there's a big problem.

No worries though... This economic depression is going to continue long into 2012 .. there will be more jobless .. there will be more pain for Americans.. When more pain comes .. breaking points will be hit and you will see more of this : Alabama illegal immigration: Alabama enacts strict anti-illegal immigration law - latimes.com

Kid can't find a summer job in fast food ? http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011...gration-policy
Sorry, an illegal w/ 4 kids needs it ..

W/ perceived prosperity this nation has become soft and over charitable .. When we are reminded that we are broke.. our economy/standard of living is decreasing and we have 14 trillion in debt.. and states have tens of billions.. people will be reminded of how little they have to give.... Scenario :

You thought you made $10,000 a month and so you gave $4,000 to charity ...
You find out you only make $3,000 a month .. you definitely can't give $4,000 (you simply don't have it) ...
and you most definitely are not going to starve your family.. deprive them of shelter.. so yeah, your views change and your ability to fund them do to ...
This is called an 'adjustment'.... If you are never told you dont have the money.. or are ignorant of it .. you might be more giving ...

Soon, we will be all reminded of just how prosperous our country is.. just how little we have ...
When that starts impacting people's lives ..(and I'm sorry if you make $20,000 a month and don't care but can't understand why others who make $3,000 a month care) .... you will see a change in attitudes. The majority of Americans aren't rich and live pay check to pay check.. their kids (instead of going to super amazing rich kid camp) need lower skill jobs... summer jobs .. these are the people whose lives are impacted by illegal immigration... The rich have more than they need so they don't... Their kids don't need jobs .. so they don't care if its an illegal at chipotle serving food vs. an american kid... But others do.

Some more layoffs.. some harder economic times.. and hey, IMo raise federal taxes to pay off the deficit .. let every clown in america who wants more govt. start paying for it and stop pushing it on future generations.. when people start having to put their money where their mouth is.. lets see what lofty things people want then...

The illegal immigrant hawks are not going to win this .. As much as it will pain their hearts, they aren't going to win this battle... Feel free to look at the comments and see which comments are upvoted the most ... People have frankly had enough ... The politicians are just ignoring them as they see potential votes they can get by being pro illegal.. When enough Americans (the majority) feel even more pain, they will make sure their voices are heard.

The continuing usage of the race card/racial profiling its getting quite old .. and is about the only crutch the position of not enforcing u.s laws resides on...

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 06-09-2011 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,134 posts, read 20,760,860 times
Reputation: 8292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Six small businesses are leaving California each week. The nationís top 500 CEOís just ranked California the worst state to conduct business in.

Best/Worst States for Business
Chamber of Commerce nonsense
Boo Hoo California will make us pay our share Boo Hoo
The source is laughable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,407,659 times
Reputation: 4314
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Maybe because you claimed that people who don't agree w/ illegal immigration are racist ...
No I didn't, I claimed that the racial differences make the issue more pronounced than it was in the past. For example, today's immigrants have greater difficulty aculturating into mainstream society because they look different, people tend to think they are "foreign".

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Maybe you are too old to remember how college admissions works or maybe you never worked in college admissions but equally qualified candidates are turned away all the time..
Whether or not "qualified candidates" are turned away isn't the issue, the issue is whether the application process is competitive. You are trying to paint a picture where legal residents are turned away in favor of illegal residents, but this isn't happening, instead applications are being reviewed regardless of their federal immigration status when the illegal graduated from a California high school. When an illegal is picked over a legal residents its because his/her application was better. Honestly, the amazing thing here is that the federal government is not out handing these kids green cards, these kids are great national assets.

In terms of your rant about not caring, its the opposite, I care and that is why I don't support today's conservative policies. These policies are designed to benefit the top 5~10% of society at the expense of everyone else. If I didn't care, I'd be supporting these policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:59 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,880,377 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No I didn't, I claimed that the racial differences make the issue more pronounced than it was in the past. For example, today's immigrants have greater difficulty aculturating into mainstream society because they look different, people tend to think they are "foreign".
So eloquently people are being racist .. K, i got it .. So the legal immigrant from mexico, india, china, and wherever they might be from who hold that illegal is illegal and hold this opinion even though the illegal is of their same race... They are being 'racist' right? Them thur' Amerikuns is racist.


Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Whether or not "qualified candidates" are turned away isn't the issue, the issue is whether the application process is competitive. You are trying to paint a picture where legal residents are turned away in favor of illegal residents, but this isn't happening, instead applications are being reviewed regardless of their federal immigration status when the illegal graduated from a California high school. When an illegal is picked over a legal residents its because his/her application was better.
And you can verify 100% this is the case? If you say that, you're a fool. If you suggest completely equal candidates are not turned away because there just is no room .. you are a bigger fool. It is happening.. you just said so yourself " applications are being reviewed regardless of their federal immigration status"... and within those applications are completely equally qualified students .. more so than the # of slots avail.
You got issues man... serious issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Honestly, the amazing thing here is that the federal government is not out handing these kids green cards, these kids are great national assets.
Honestly, it's amazing that w/ a 14 trillion dollar national debt.. A state tens of billions of dollars in the hole.. tens of millions of Americans unemployed ....
427,000 initial claims for unemployment last week ... No jobs for a lot of College grads :
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-m..._b_804877.html
"Many With New College Degree Find the Job Market Humbling"
"Young college graduates discover job market no bed of roses "

You want to talk about handing some illegals green cards.. Talk about competition ..
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/20/356...erwhelmed.html

McDonald’s and its franchisees hired 62,000 people in the U.S. after receiving more than one million applications, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said today in an e-mailed statement. Previously, it said it planned to hire 50,000.

Yet, you want to talk about lazy Americans.. and competition .. .. sorry.. You are so far removed from what's going in this country and so ignorant of what Americans are going through and it reflects in your senseless, illogical, and ignorant comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
In terms of your rant about not caring, its the opposite, I care and that is why I don't support today's conservative policies. These policies are designed to benefit the top 5~10% of society at the expense of everyone else. If I didn't care, I'd be supporting these policies.
You seem to not understand how illegal immigration benefits mainly the rich... the rich owns the means of production and corporations... they are the only ones who benefit from illegal immigration in net... The middle class/lower income people are the ones who are hurt by it .. but its perfect spin by the rich class to suggest it is the other way around.... Calling such policies against illegal immigration racist/conservative.. It is neither.. It has to do w/ economics/law and only that...LOL, probably because you don't live in the hoods where these jokers are doing the following : Mexican gang targets blacks in Los Angeles - National Law Enforcement | Examiner.com

So save your silly rant about caring. You care but IMO are ignorant and uninformed.. that has to be the worst kind of person IMO .. because they force their agendas w/ passion honestly believing they are helping people when they are actually hurting everyone..

Illegal immigration does not help America in net. It is an uncontrolled/unfiltered flow of people into this country.. Some come to work.. some come to rob/rape/pillage .. tens of millions of Americans want to work.. thousands of americans want that college slot and are qualified to work the jobs those illegals are taking.. are qualified to take the college slots those illegals are taking.

If you cared and had some understanding you wouldn't view it any different. You care but you lack understanding ... that's the issues amongst alot of people in America ... and it the most dangerous combination IMO.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 06-09-2011 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top