U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 10,314 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I just graduated with a generalist college degree. I have plenty of money saved to get started, and I have a car. I can therefore go anywhere in the state. I am moving to California because I dislike the long Midwestern winters, and because of various laws in CA that are important to me.

I have researched the entire state extensively and literally have no preference yet determined. I just want to go where I have the best shot at finding entry level work. My definition of entry work is roughly" Teller jobs at banks where I can advance, customer service jobs with management potential, etc. As you can see, I don't have 50k+ a year starting salary delusions; I'm willing to work my way up. I have a healthy savings account and parents who can float me here and there to get through the first few difficult years.

I understand the unemployment rate is well above the national average almost across-the-state. Given this, can you recommend some places that are better than others in terms of finding the aforementioned work?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,339,614 times
Would seek any entry-level position at Apple, Google or facebook (or some BigTech or promising start-up) and work way up through sales/mkg ranks...

Expect lots of competition from world's top college grads (and dropouts) for any jobs at desirable employers in PaloAlto area

Anecdotally, seems that ~40% of recent Stanford lib arts grads are un/underemployed whereas CS grads have multiple $150++K/yr job offers and tech cos. are in bidding wars over smartest, most productive software engineers

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,889,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereisit22 View Post
I am moving to California because I dislike the long Midwestern winters, and because of various laws in CA that are important to me.
Let be honest here. People who come here and make statements like that usually have just one particular law in mind. Quasi-legal or not, most big employers still require a drug test.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM

28,402 posts, read 61,828,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Let be honest here. People who come here and make statements like that usually have just one particular law in mind.
you say that like it's a bad thing.

Quote:
Quasi-legal or not, most big employers still require a drug test.
you shouldn't need to test it.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,889,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
you say that like it's a bad thing.
We already have enough stoners without importing everyone else's too.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM

15,428 posts, read 25,328,924 times
Quote:
an educated stoner is better than a non-educated one or just a non-educated person in general.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM

30,528 posts, read 33,353,977 times
Nobody can tell you where to go for that because everyone living here is already looking for it. Pick somplace that sounds good, maybe where you know someone, and spend you money however you like. Do some research into the cost of living, rents, etc. Maybe you will get a job and maybe you won't. Have a backup plan.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:56 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,831,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereisit22 View Post
Given this, can you recommend some places that are better than others in terms of finding the aforementioned work?
I would think the bigger the city the more potential jobs so somewhere in the heart of a big metro like the bay area or the LA/OC area or SD or Sacramento. Usually places with jobs cost the most for housing but that seems to be one thing you don't have to worry about.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM

7 posts, read 10,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Would seek any entry-level position at Apple, Google or facebook (or some BigTech or promising start-up) and work way up through sales/mkg ranks...

Expect lots of competition from world's top college grads (and dropouts) for any jobs at desirable employers in PaloAlto area

Anecdotally, seems that ~40% of recent Stanford lib arts grads are un/underemployed whereas CS grads have multiple $150++K/yr job offers and tech cos. are in bidding wars over smartest, most productive software engineers
I understand that Computer Science majors are more employable than liberal arts majors. Thanks though. I'm more just looking for a geographic area that perhaps has deceptively high unemployment numbers on paper. For example, in Cleveland, the numbers are somewhat deception for entry level work in my opinion. There is plenty available. Whereas, subjectively of course, Columbus, Ohio is struggling in the college grad/generalist department comparatively speaking.
Quote:
Let be honest here. People who come here and make statements like that usually have just one particular law in mind. Quasi-legal or not, most big employers still require a drug test.
Quote:
You seem like a very angry person. You should work on that.

Grow up, and leave this thread immediately. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody can tell you where to go for that because everyone living here is already looking for it. Pick somplace that sounds good, maybe where you know someone, and spend you money however you like. Do some research into the cost of living, rents, etc. Maybe you will get a job and maybe you won't. Have a backup plan.
Appreciate your perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I would think the bigger the city the more potential jobs so somewhere in the heart of a big metro like the bay area or the LA/OC area or SD or Sacramento. Usually places with jobs cost the most for housing but that seems to be one thing you don't have to worry about.
Thanks, Charles!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,428,707 times
Sounds like you're right, EC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or