Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 01:09 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times

Advertisements

Thanks Steve for your info..I had heard Oregon (Portland,northern coast etc) had terriable schools now,My family that lived there referred to Portlands schools as the "Mississippi of the west" which I thought MUST be exaggerated. This really is a great site,thanks for taking the time to post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 12:08 PM

144 posts, read 638,270 times
Default Apartment Rentals

If anyone knows of or has decently priced furnished apartments for rent in Crescent City, please PM me. Work is sending me back up there for 5 months and there is no way I'm making the Sacramento - Crescent City drive up and back every weekend. Thank you.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 PM

159 posts, read 810,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I agree with what LLAGS said about the anti-authoritarian sentiment along the Klamath Coast. Because it has historically had inexpensive real estate and a certain amount of economic depression, CC has had some problems with meth-related crimes in past years which seem to now be on the down-swing. As the cost of coastal property continues to rise, the lowlife contigent is usually the first layer of citizenry to get priced out and move away. Also, remember that in a small town, it doesn't take too many crimes to grossly inflate the per capita rate of crime.

It should also be noted that the citi-data site uses the sky cover data of Medford, OR -- a much sunnier and drier inland city -- for the Clear and Cloudy Days chart for Crescent City. The chart for Newport, OR gives a much more accurate approximation for CC.

One of the reasons that CC isn't that popular is because Brookings, OR is just 28 miles to the north. It is a little bit sunnier and warmer than CC, there is no sales tax, property taxes are lower, crime rates are way lower, there is more community spirit and the quality of life is just all-around more preferable. Quite a few people who work in CC choose to live in Brookings and commute to work rather than live in CC.
Hey Steve, we thought about moving to Brookings and my husband commuting to CC. How do you like Brookings and have you lived there
long. I looked at one of your other posts about real estate and think
you are right on the money about it depreciationg for the next decade
and your reasons why.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:19 PM

45 posts, read 295,376 times
does it snow much there?

Old 02-10-2008, 03:40 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I would advise anyone thinking about moving to Crescent City to go there and stay awhile. You're talking about a place with few amenities other than nature, a MAJOR meth problem, and a host of problems caused by the prison. The town is split between the haves (prison employees who make a lot of money on overtime before they invevitably burn out or go on disability, well-to-do retirees who are building $500K McMansions in places like Gasquet) and the have-nots, whose trailer parks are gradually being shut down in favor of more lucrative uses. The local paper, the Triplicate, is online and can give you a flavor of the place. I live in Eureka, 90 miles south, and until recently had to work in CC several days a month. I don't miss it. Brookings, in comparison, is paradise but the housing costs reflect it and Curry Co has the meth problem too. Good luck to you.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 18,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
"...prison employees who make a lot of money on overtime before they invevitably burn out or go on disability, ...".
Could you fill me in a little more on this? I am currently thinking of changing carrers and becomming a guard. One of the main reasons is because I have a great shot at getting Pelican bay, if I choose it, and everything I can find (CC stats, Google Earth sat pictures, real estate prices ect.) leads me to believe that CC would be a great place to live.

I am recently divorced with a 14 year old son. I currently live in Corvallis Oregon (so the weather shouldn't phase me) and am an outdoors enthusiast (love hiking with my dogs in the woods).

I am considering the job mainly for the location and pay, however, any info you have about the pitfalls of the job will certainly factor into the decision.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Dgrigg; 02-22-2008 at 12:45 PM..

Old 02-24-2008, 07:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
You should check out the local paper, the Triplicate, online. It will give you a flavor of the place. I think for a CO it can be an okay place to live because you folks have a support system and help each other. Pretty, but desolate, otherwise. Del Norte County Chamber has a website too. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks eureka1,

I have been reading the Triplicate and I am planning a trip to the area to check it out. What concerns me though is your reference to CO "burnout" I have run into the term a couple of times but have not been able to get any real info on what it is, why it happens, how prevalent it is ect, ect. I don't know any current or former COs that I can talk to and I am a little nervous about making a big career jump if it means jumping into a fire.

I have read several of your posts and you seem to have a good handle on many things. I would really appreciate any info you have on the quality of life for a CO.

Thanks again

Old 03-01-2008, 08:57 PM

6 posts, read 28,690 times
Dgrigg,

I have a grandfather who worked at Pelican Bay for 15 years until he retired last year and an uncle who has been there for 10. My mom actually worked there as nurse for a few months as well. We all came from Southern California in the early 90's. I absolutely hated Crescent City. I went from tan, skinny and happy 8th grader to a chubby, pimply and miserable freshman in constant rain. I think was also too young and material to appreciate the beauty.
The complaint I heard the most is being inside the prison all day. You can leave if you want to, but you are still in a prison. Also, it's a maximum security prison so I'm sure you can imagine what kind of people you will be dealing with.

I think there are better posts than others at the prison which I believe is based on seniority. Burning out depends on how long you can handle being in a prison for long hours, working holidays, monotony and constantly being on guard. The high pay is for good reason!

Good Luck!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:41 PM

tofucrunch, thanks for that input.

I live in Corvallis, OR. so the weather should be very similar. I know it doesn't compare to So Cal, but it doesn't bother us treehuggers much (more rain means more green forests).

I currently have an 8th grader, so your comments hit home concerning him.

I am concerned with exactly what you brought up - being in a prison all day long. I mean, isn't being in a prison the punishment for, like, killing someone? Who in their right mind would go there voluntarily??? However, I did spent 6 years on submarines and it didn't bother me too much. I actually kind of enjoyed it. I really don't have any idea how I would handle being a CO, that is my big concern right now. I think I would like the area. I grew up in a small town and have been wanting to return to one for over 20 years. I might end up in Brookings instead of CC as I have heard it is much better, and the commute wouldn't be too bad.

The bottom line is that if I can handle the job, I think I would like living in the area. If I can't handle the job, I will be making a huge mistake by moving there. Good pay doesn't mean much if you are miserable. This is a tough decision for me and I really appreciate the input I am receiving.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California