U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM

913 posts, read 1,516,625 times
Default How does raising kids in California compare with other states?

How does raising kids in California compare with other states? Or even Southern California versus Northern California since they might as well be two different states?

I'll bet there are enough people who have done both and can give us their opinions on the topic. What do you feel are the pros/cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,069,043 times
Depends where in California. California has so much diversity that just about any state is "in California".

I like the western time zone and can watch the NBA finals starting at a decent 6PM. How do kids back east get to watch the games if they start at 9PM?

The nice weather in several parts of California allows kids to play outside all year round. But, often those nice weather places cost a lot more so that is a negative.

Traffic stresses parents out.

It's easier to eat fresh fruits and vegetables in California.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 PM

24,966 posts, read 15,584,067 times
I only raised my kids in CA so I can't compare it to other states. LOL

Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 AM

3,651 posts, read 6,664,064 times
Hi Jaynetarzana,

We went from SoCal to CO to the Central Cal Coast. Of the three we like it here best, as I've mentioned to you before. I don't know too many who have lived in both SoCal and the Central Coast who prefer SoCal. However my boss and his wife from SD liked the warmer overall weather in SD more. And so when they retire they will probably return to SD.

The Central Coast is so much different from SoCal it may as well be another state. There are wide open spaces up here, far fewer cars, ppl, big buildings, less pollution, more green, etc... So from a quality of life perspective its better for us and our kids. However its like different strokes for different folks you know.

As far as CO it was totally different, more like the Midwest with the full seasons and long, cold Winters.

As to raising kids I think kids are very flexible. They go where their parents go. And if the parents like a place, they grow to appreciate similar things. Like ours love the outdoors, hiking, the coast, mtns, etc... They have a real appreciation for nature among other specific things which are unique to the Central Coast like the abundant marine life in the area, the coastal redwoods, seeing deer walk through local neighborhoods, relatively close proximity to the High Sierra, etc...

But as far as their peers/friends they could make friends anywhere they lived really. So if we preferred SoCal they would probably learn to like living there as well. Most really depends on you, the parents. If the parents are unhappy the kids pick up on that pretty quickly. For example we were so happy to be moving back to the West Coast from CO that our kids were equally if not more excited. And they have been ever since. The only thing they miss a little is playing in the snow. So we take them to the mountains in the Winter and they are fine with that.

Then we drive home to the coast and nights like this:

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-10-2011 at 12:43 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 AM

5,580 posts, read 6,735,736 times
Don't even think about it!
Look how I turned out.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,356,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Depends where in California. California has so much diversity that just about any state is "in California".
Pretty much , I don't understand questions that generalize California. Northern California is a lot different than Southern California. Even In Northern California, there are so many sub-categories and different cultures depending where you are. Raising a kid in San Fransisco is different than raising a kid in Sonora.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Pretty much , I don't understand questions that generalize California. Northern California is a lot different than Southern California. Even In Northern California, there are so many sub-categories and different cultures depending where you are. Raising a kid in San Fransisco is different than raising a kid in Sonora.
Which is why I asked "How does raising kids in California compare with other states? Or even Southern California versus Northern California since they might as well be two different states?"

Old 06-10-2011, 02:00 PM

4,600 posts, read 2,997,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Which is why I asked "How does raising kids in California compare with other states? Or even Southern California versus Northern California since they might as well be two different states?"
And also bear in mind that Eastern CA is basically a different world than the Coastal Counties. What are your values? Liberal? Conservative? Religious? Like the outdoors? Like Malls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Yep. IMO raising kids in the Sierras is way healther than in the Bay Area or LA. Low Crime, great schools.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 PM

I am interested in hearing all perspectives on this topic.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 PM

2,880 posts, read 3,211,085 times
But until you narrow it down, no specifics can be forthcoming. California is a vast state and the differences between areas is substantial. The difference between a place like Mammoth and San Ysidro is night and day. There's huge differences just in Southern California. Orange County is nothing like LA, nor is the Inland Empire of Riverside County. And those are all within a 40 mile radius of one another!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California