U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:32 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,626,528 times

Advertisements

I bet I could get Wikipedia to say that San Luis Obispo is a suburb of Tokyo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 04:40 PM

297 posts, read 339,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
It doesn't make sense because I've never heard of Cen Cal ever. Yes there's such a thing as the central valley and the central coast. There's just no such thing as Cen Cal that's like saying Cen Carolina.
I guest Central Coast is better because that way we leave Fresno/Bakersfield out of the equation. And yes, many, many people say Central Coast.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,139,389 times
Quote:
It doesn't make sense because I've never heard of Cen Cal ever. Yes there's such a thing as the central valley and the central coast. There's just no such thing as Cen Cal that's like saying Cen Carolina.
Have you been living under a rock? Below is just a small list of businesses and organizations that have Cen-Cal in their name.

As for the original post, when speaking in larger geographical terms, anything above Ventura/SB counties and below the Bay Area is usually referred to as Central California. When speaking more specifically, the SLO area is usually called the Central Coast by most politicians, news media, businesses etc., and is only rarely referred to as Central California (There is a tech school in SLO called Central California School of Continuing Education). The Sac/Stockton/Fresno region is called either the Central Valley or sometimes just Central California. When people want to divide the state up into only two regions of north and south, SLO is considered south.

Cen-Cal Fire Systems, Inc. Contacts_NEW

Cen-Cal Refrigeration, Inc. - Our goal is to provide the highest quality product, maintenance, service, and repair of Commercial Refrigeration and HVAC in the most timely,*professional manner, and at the most competitive rates possible.*

Cen-Cal Business Finance Group

Cen Cal Small Engine, Modesto, CA

Cen-Cal Machinery - Backhoes, Compressors, Box Scrapers, Rollers, Compactors and Excavators for all of your construction needs.

Cen-Cal Coatings

Cen-Cal Jr. Football League - (Atwater, CA) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

Cen Cal Flag Football

Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
When people want to divide the state up into only two regions of north and south, SLO is considered south.
A quibble, the dividing line between So Cal and North Cal is generally the Santa Ynez Range behind Santa Barbara, or the Santa Maria/Cuyama River.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:16 PM

797 posts, read 1,530,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I would love to know how you reason this.

California is one state with many more subregions beyond North, Central and Southern California. North and South Carolina are two separate states which, I'm sure, have their own sub-regions.

If you live in California and haven't heard references to Central California you need to get out more.
I've lived in California my entire life and like I stated earlier, plenty of people say things like " I live in the central VALLEY" or we are going to visit my friend on the central COAST", but I have never once heard anyone say something like we live in Cental California, and if anyone has heard such utterings it just may be from the mouths of some transplant.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:32 PM

797 posts, read 1,530,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
Have you been living under a rock? Below is just a small list of businesses and organizations that have Cen-Cal in their name.

As for the original post, when speaking in larger geographical terms, anything above Ventura/SB counties and below the Bay Area is usually referred to as Central California. When speaking more specifically, the SLO area is usually called the Central Coast by most politicians, news media, businesses etc., and is only rarely referred to as Central California (There is a tech school in SLO called Central California School of Continuing Education). The Sac/Stockton/Fresno region is called either the Central Valley or sometimes just Central California. When people want to divide the state up into only two regions of north and south, SLO is considered south.

Cen-Cal Fire Systems, Inc. Contacts_NEW

Cen-Cal Refrigeration, Inc. - Our goal is to provide the highest quality product, maintenance, service, and repair of Commercial Refrigeration and HVAC in the most timely,*professional manner, and at the most competitive rates possible.*

Cen-Cal Business Finance Group

Cen Cal Small Engine, Modesto, CA

Cen-Cal Machinery - Backhoes, Compressors, Box Scrapers, Rollers, Compactors and Excavators for all of your construction needs.

Cen-Cal Coatings

Cen-Cal Jr. Football League - (Atwater, CA) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

Cen Cal Flag Football
So you found a list of business with the abbreviation Cen in them, so what? I still haven't ever heard anyone say there business is located in Central CA. When asked buy a customer over the phone were is there business located I bet the would say either in the Central Valley or the Central Coast, not Central California.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
So you found a list of business with the abbreviation Cen in them, so what? I still haven't ever heard anyone say there business is located in Central CA. When asked buy a customer over the phone were is there business located I bet the would say either in the Central Valley or the Central Coast, not Central California.
Puhlease, work on that grammar.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:05 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,095,175 times
Quote:
I've lived in California my entire life and like I stated earlier, plenty of people say things like " I live in the central VALLEY" or we are going to visit my friend on the central COAST", but I have never once heard anyone say something like we live in Cental California, and if anyone has heard such utterings it just may be from the mouths of some transplant.

I don't know what to tell ya' other than you've been asleep at the wheel.

Central California Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Busine - Central California BBB

Welcome To The Central California Small Business Development Center

Central California School

Central California .Net User Group

Quaglino Properties LLC and Quaglino Roofing Note the second column wherein they identify with Central California.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:18 AM

6,958 posts, read 19,103,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I bet I could get Wikipedia to say that San Luis Obispo is a suburb of Tokyo
LOL Let's do it!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 AM

16,422 posts, read 22,258,101 times
Quote:
SLO is in southern CA, and there is no such thing as central CA.

File:Southern California.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've always said that too. Or at least used to but a Central Ca. has sort of been created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California