U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,664,139 times

Advertisements

Nor Cal starts at Santa Rosa The Bay area is not geographically or culturally like North CA. Santa Cruz can be called the north end of the Central Coast, or the Bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:17 PM

16,438 posts, read 22,372,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Nor Cal starts at Santa Rosa The Bay area is not geographically or culturally like North CA. Santa Cruz can be called the north end of the Central Coast, or the Bay area.
Nope. NorCal, like most of the rest of the state, doesn't have just one culture of lifestyle. It has several. SoCal too is more than what most people think of when they think of SoCal. The Bay Area IS NOT central.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 PM

The Bay Area is the Bay Area, Not North Cal in my opinion, not much in common with Weaverville, Biggs, East Biggs and Alturas.
Draw a line from Jenner to Santa Rosa To Woodland to Lincoln to Grass Valley to Truckee, north of that is North Cal, south of that is something else.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,144,223 times
There really isn't one definition and it all depends on how you are referencing the area. People who like to divide the state up in two regions obviously consider Santa Cruz and the Bay Area to be Nor Cal, hence, why you have the Nor Cal Surf Shop in Pacifica and San Mateo, and Norteno (Spanish for Northerners) gang members found in cities as far south as Salinas. However if you look in surfing books and surfing magazines Santa Cruz is considered the central coast (although most locals still refer to the area as Nor Cal). The areas above Santa Rosa are often referred to as North State to differentiate itself from the Bay Area which is often referred to as Nor Cal.

Personally, I think its somewhere in between, I think its most accurate to call Santa Cruz and the Bay Area Northern-Central California.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
The Bay Area is the Bay Area, Not North Cal in my opinion, not much in common with Weaverville, Biggs, East Biggs and Alturas.
Draw a line from Jenner to Santa Rosa To Woodland to Lincoln to Grass Valley to Truckee, north of that is North Cal, south of that is something else.
As I said before, I don't believe in drawing artificial lines on a map just for neatness. Those north bay area counties you speak of are still the bay area. So if the bay area is the bay area then northern cal would have to start above the area that is still in the bay area LOL

Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
There really isn't one definition and it all depends on how you are referencing the area. People who like to divide the state up in two regions obviously consider Santa Cruz and the Bay Area to be Nor Cal, hence, why you have the Nor Cal Surf Shop in Pacifica and San Mateo, and Norteno (Spanish for Northerners) gang members found in cities as far south as Salinas. However if you look in surfing books and surfing magazines Santa Cruz is considered the central coast (although most locals still refer to the area as Nor Cal). The areas above Santa Rosa are often referred to as North State to differentiate itself from the Bay Area which is often referred to as Nor Cal.

Personally, I think its somewhere in between, I think its most accurate to call Santa Cruz and the Bay Area Northern-Central California.
That I agree with.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 PM

32 posts, read 96,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
It's an interesting question. I'd like to see a thread on whether people think Santa Cruz is Nor Cal or Central Coast.
Yeah we should PM humboldtrat so he can share his thoughts

Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
As I said before, I don't believe in drawing artificial lines on a map just for neatness. Those north bay area counties you speak of are still the bay area. So if the bay area is the bay area then northern cal would have to start above the area that is still in the bay area LOL
the line may be fuzzy, but that is ok, it is my line.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
the line may be fuzzy, but that is ok, it is my line.
LOL can't argue with that

Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 PM

16 posts, read 37,773 times
The bay area pretty much defines what people from other areas think of when they think of norcal. The bay area is very liberal and therefore most people view norcal as very liberal, even though many parts of it are extremely conservative (Redding and Red Bluff etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California