Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,439 times

Advertisements

If you are going to commute from UCSB everyday, you might miss all the party life and great education they are also offering. I heard your university offers both. But did you know that your school has been researched as either the BEST party school that also scores highest in academics, or the best party school that scores worst in academics? If you agree or completely disagree, post a comment in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 AM

169 posts, read 764,423 times
City, I so agree with Highlight - you need to branch out. For years I have seen you on this board. You have lots of ideas, passion about city planning, and have really, really tried communicating with the big boys. But, you aren't there yet. You have to get out into the real world. The central coast is amazing, but there is SO much else out there for you to learn about.
I totally agree with joining the Air Force. I was a contractor for the Air Force and worked at the Pentagon. There is nothing in this world that compares to what training they will give you, the places you will go, and the man you will grow to become.
Life is unbelievably fantastic City. What makes it worth living is exploring the world, learning how other cultures live, seeing the history of this great planet and THEN deciding where you want to live. Based soley on the experiences of what you have personally witnessed. You were born here - congratulations. But, you have got to get out and about and SEE, FEEL, TOUCH the rest of the world. You will be more well rounded, educated, appreciative young man then.
You won't ever again have to even mention Macy's.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
I spent six months in a college dorm and apartment in Los Angeles working, cooking, cleaning, using public transportation, partying, smoking pot, having crappy friends, etc.... I am done with what the world has to offer.

Besides I don't care either way right now about Macy's or any other retailer. They will come when they want to come. Nothing I say on this board or anywhere else will change that.

I'm going to Cal Poly SLO to major in Sociology and then into drug and alcohol counselling. That's about it.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
I dunno, maybe you should get the drug and alcohol counseling before going to Cal Poly Watch that sentence structure.

A college dorm experience in LA is about the opposite of the character and experience and resume building experience that can be yours in the military.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Well I am done arguing. I got my opinions about commuting. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Well, people who don't pull high salaries often commute from Santa Maria to jobs in Goleta and sometimes even SB proper. Let's say you would not be alone on the 101.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Well, people who don't pull high salaries often commute from Santa Maria to jobs in Goleta and sometimes even SB proper. Let's say you would not be alone on the 101.
Any stats on that? a 200 mile round trip every day I think would be tough on people without high salaries.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The only books I read are Christian based.

Then you will grow old ignorant, there is nothing else for you. Any person who only reads books of a particular genre misses the millions of books, knowledge of only a part of which, makes an educated man. I recommend for By Marcus Aurelius, it is like throwing clear cold water on the over wrought religious writing of most men.

And no interest in the military.

You should not join the military because you have an interest in it, you should join it to become a man.

I've been out in the world before.

I don't think so, your naivete borders on mild autism. You need to leave home and hearth and familar surroundings an join the world of adults.

City....I have to say I agree with .highnlite....and that is a very rare thing .

I'm not 100% sure on the military thing......but your horizons definitely need to be widened on a lot of different levels. The military would be one way of doing that, although not necessarily the only way.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:22 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 587,654 times
Lots of people commute from SM/Orcutt every day to SB. It is very doable. Hubby commutes from SM to 15 miles north of Paso (75 miles each way) and does it because he has to. You do what you have to do.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Lots of people commute from SM/Orcutt every day to SB. It is very doable. Hubby commutes from SM to 15 miles north of Paso (75 miles each way) and does it because he has to. You do what you have to do.
Lets look at that. Your husband commutes 150 miles per day. IRS says it costs .50 per mile to own and run a car. Based on that the true cost of your husband's drive is $75.00 per day.

$375 per week.

$1500 per month.

$17,500 Per year.

That is a reasonable house payment in Creston, on acreage, you could have horses, and a husband that did not spend 8 hours at work then 3-4 hours a day driving.

With a commute like that, the commuter is gone 12-13 hours per day, figure sleeping 8 hours per night, he has 4 hours a day to eat, shower, take out the garbage, play with his kids, and spend time with you.

The entity knowns as "The City" doesn't make that in a year.

I did a 100 mile round trip commute for 25 years, half the year I was more likely to be in four wheel drive than not. Once we stopped that commute we have been amazed at the amount of time we have to do stuff.

Now, we could justify that commute because we had great jobs that paid very well, and we had a beautiful home on our ranch in the mtns. If we came home every night to a home on a lot in a subdivision, it would not have been worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California