U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM

3,864 posts, read 6,309,370 times

Advertisements

So I have two options. Commute from Santa Maria to UCSB in Fall or Spring. And return home to northern San Luis Obispo county on the weekends.

The other option is wait and see if Cal Poly SLO will have spring admissions, otherwise I'd wait for Fall admissions.

I have my AA and am trying to decide what my next step should be. And through all of this I would be interning for the County of SLO for my internship class.

Any prayer and advice is welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,454,245 times
Commuting from Santa Maria to UCSB 180 miles per day, 3600 miles per month, lets say your car gets 20 mpg, 8 gallons per day at $4.00 per gallong, $24.00 per day, $96.00 week, close to $400 per month.

moving from Templeton to Santa Maria is a move that very few contemplate and no one in their right mind does.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Commuting from Santa Maria to UCSB 180 miles per day, 3600 miles per month, lets say your car gets 20 mpg, 8 gallons per day at $4.00 per gallong, $24.00 per day, $96.00 week, close to $400 per month.

moving from Templeton to Santa Maria is a move that very few contemplate and no one in their right mind does.
It's on the Orcutt side of Santa Maria. And my sister lives there, and I'd be in Templeton on the weekends. But my counsellor said it would be hard to acclimate to the Santa Barbara and Santa Maria area from Templeton.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
But my counsellor said it would be hard to acclimate to the Santa Barbara and Santa Maria area from Templeton.
Lord knows what your counselor meant by that..

It is 62 miles from Orcutt to Goleta, That makes it a 120 mile trip, reduce the above mentioned costs by 1/3. Now, you will also lose over two hours a day on your commute. When we stopped commuting 100 miles a day, we were amazed at how much more time we had to do stuff.

I changed my oil every month, how often do you cough up the money for an oil change?

I did a similar commute for 20 years. You burn up tires, you burn up gas, you burn up cars. IRS tells you that it will cost you 50 cents a mile to operate a car, that covers gas, tires, insurance etc. Using the figure of 50 cents a mile, your daily drive will cost you $60 a day, $300 a week, $1200 a month. $14,400 a year.

Are you ready for that?

For that money you can rent a nice place in Goleta.

City, I got my worries over you. You seem to be completely lost in this world. I don't recommend this to many people, but I really and seriously think you need a few years in the Service, take the Air Force, it is the most relaxed of the services, or the Navy, at least you will get to see the world.

You need the exposure to the world, you need the direction that you will get, you need the discipline, you need to get away from home and see what the real world is all about.

Remember, if you don't like getting shot at while wandering around Afghanistan or Iraq join the Air Force or Navy, the chance of getting shot at is highly remote.

But do it. You need it.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 PM

5,744 posts, read 7,204,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
It's on the Orcutt side of Santa Maria. And my sister lives there, and I'd be in Templeton on the weekends. But my counsellor said it would be hard to acclimate to the Santa Barbara and Santa Maria area from Templeton.
Real pioneer spirit there!
How about the Merchant Marine? That's got to be less rigorous than most branches, and no one ever thinks about joining it because 98% of people in their teens and twenties have probably never even heard of it.
There's a world of department stores out there!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Real pioneer spirit there!
How about the Merchant Marine? That's got to be less rigorous than most branches, and no one ever thinks about joining it because 98% of people in their teens and twenties have probably never even heard of it.
There's a world of department stores out there!
For the state of today's American Merchant Marine, I suggest reading "Looking For a Ship by John McPhee

Old 06-12-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
For the state of today's American Merchant Marine, I suggest reading "Looking For a Ship by John McPhee
Interesting. I hadn't realized we entirely outsourced that one as well.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
The only books I read are Christian based.

And no interest in the military. I've been out in the world before.

Also, I heard Sear's in SLO could be closing and Macy's could go in. I'm also hopeful for a second Macy's in Atascadero or the only Macy's in Atascadero.

It's not the fact I like department stores, it's the fact I like nice things in general. Food from Trader Joes and other organic places, cars from Toyota and Honda, clothes from the nicest place, nice two story large homes in subdivisions, and then other nice products from the cheapest place I can get them.

I'm hoping and praying that Macy's will build a small department store next to Wal-Mart Supercenter or in Colony Square. Macy's these days will adapt to any demographic environment. It's just giving them a sweat deal to get here.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

And no interest in the military. I've been out in the world before.

Also, I heard Sear's in SLO could be closing and Macy's could go in. I'm also hopeful for a second Macy's in Atascadero or the only Macy's in Atascadero.

It's not the fact I like department stores, it's the fact I like nice things in general. Food from Trader Joes and other organic places, cars from Toyota and Honda, clothes from the nicest place, nice two story large homes in subdivisions, and then other nice products from the cheapest place I can get them.

I'm hoping and praying that Macy's will build a small department store next to Wal-Mart Supercenter or in Colony Square. Macy's these days will adapt to any demographic environment. It's just giving them a sweat deal to get here.
How about this one?

I have it on good authority that the dog is Episcopalian.

Your college texts aren't likely to have a Christian theme in them, do they?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 PM

Then you will grow old ignorant, there is nothing else for you. Any person who only reads books of a particular genre misses the millions of books, knowledge of only a part of which, makes an educated man. I recommend for
Quote:
you The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
By Marcus Aurelius, it is like throwing clear cold water on the over wrought religious writing of most men

And no interest in the military.

You should not join the military because you have an interest in it, you should join it to become a man.

I've been out in the world before.

I don't think so, your naivete borders on mild autism. You need to leave home and hearth and familar surroundings an join the world of adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California