Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 05:28 AM

105 posts, read 469,369 times

Advertisements

I know it's only June but I'm getting hyped about the upcoming season, especially with the NFL season looking meek. I'm looking forward to see how the new-look PAC 12 shake out. I ran through it and here are my top 10 PAC games to look forward to along with some predictions:

1.) Oregon VS LSU (Wk 1)....Neutral site game at the Dallas Cowboy stadium. There’s nothing like a headliner to kick off the College Football season. LSU brings the "D", Oregon brings the "O"....We all know DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS But I believe Oregon brings just enough "D" and LSU brings not enough "O", I just don't trust LSU QB Jordan Jefferson....Oregon 27 LSU 24

2.) Oregon at Stanford (Wk 11)......These 2 teams are the best in the PAC 12 right now. Since they play in the same division only 1 can represent the north side of the conference in the PAC-12 Championship game against the south. I'm leaning towards Stanford because of the home field advantage in a possible shootout...Stanford 45 Oregon 35

3.) USC at Oregon (Wk 12).... Could this be a preview of the first PAC 12 Championship Game? USC hasn’t won in Oregon in like forever, and I don’t expect that to change here....Oregon 42 USC 31

4.) Stanford at USC (Wk 9)..... Here is another potential PAC 12 Championship matchup. This is a primetime matchup of possible future NFL star QBs. Andrew Luck vs Matt Barkley. This just might come down to whoever has the ball last. USC has the better recruits on defense but those boys on Stanford's "D" are very UNDERRATED! Stanford 34 USC 28

5.) Arizona at Oklahoma St (Wk 2)...Unfortunately the Wildcats haven’t taken that next step forward like so many predicted. Can Nick Foles of Arizona become the big time QB that so many expected?? He was useless last year against Oklahoma St as they blew them out in the bowl game. Oklahoma St. returns everybody on that high octane offense so I don't expect this result to be any different.....Oklahoma St. 41 Arizona 24...score one for the Big 12...Boooo!

6.) Missouri at Arizona St (Wk 2)..One of many Pac 12 vs Big 12 matchups. Can Missouri test that Desert Swarm defense? The Tigers lost key players to the draft so I don't see it happening in the desert..ASU 30 Missouri 13

7.) Washington at Nebraska (Wk 3)......Rematch of last year's bowl game where Washington won 19-7. However, is doesn’t bode well for Washington to have to travel to Nebraska while trying to break in a new QB now that Jake Locker is in the NFL.. Nebraska 41 Washington 20

8.) Arizona St at Illinois (Wk 3)..If ASU is trying to get to the next level in the College Football hierarchy, then they should win games like these. So why don’t I feel confident about that? Well this game can go either way depending on what ASU team shows up. ASU's offense doesn’t travel very well but at least the defense does....ASU 20 Illinois 17

9.) Utah at USC (Wk 2)........Welcome to the PAC-12 Utah...hahaha In wk 2? Already? USC QB Matt Barkley is ready to blow up this year, however, Utah will do just enough to keep it interesting for a while as the Trojans work on a retooled defense.....USC 35 Utah 24

10.) Texas at UCLA (Wk 3)....Rematch of 2 very bad teams last year as UCLA pulled off a stunning upset in Texas 34-16. UCLA offense isn’t going anywhere anytime soon at the same time replacing some stars from a pretty decent defense. I don’t know what to make of Texas. Do I think they are as bad as their record last year? Hell no, not with all that Texas recruiting. California recruits vs Texas recruits part 2. Unfortunately for UCLA, top CA recruits go to other teams. However they play well against out of conference teams at home. Besides, I don’t think Texas will have found themselves by wk 3. Look for a low scoring, ugly to awful game. Not sure which way to go on this one but one thing UCLA has always done well was kick field goals...haha UCLA 19 Texas 17

I know I said 10 but I couldn't help predicting this game:

USC at Arizona St. (Wk4)......One of these two teams I believe will represent the south against either Oregon or Stanford for the North in the PAC-12 Championship game. ASU's defense will keep this one from getting away. Actually if ASU wins, it will be because of their defense. ASU coach Dennis Erickson is an offensive guru; however he has seen a lot of offensively challenged teams during his tenure. I will lean towards USC, but I won't do it with confidence. A top 20 recruiting class and a swarming defense (by PAC-12 standards) will make ASU a very dangerous team...
USC 24 ASU 21

I will give an honorable mention to USC at Notre Dame and Notre Dame at Stanford. I don't know what to make of Notre Dame this year; some people believe they might be back. Coach Brian Kelly definitely has them heading in the right direction, especially with improvements on the defensive side of the ball. With recruiting they way it is nowadays I doubt Notre Dame will ever be "BACK" as far as dominating CFB. They also have one of the toughest schedules every year to remain consistent.

PAC-12 Predicted Standings:

PAC 12 North
Stanford 11-1
Oregon 11-1
CAL 7-5
Oregon St 6-6
Washington 5-7
Wash St. 4-8

PAC 12 South
USC 9-3
Arizona St. 8-4
Arizona 7-5
Utah 6-6
UCLA 5-7
Colorado 4-8

I’m predicting Stanford vs USC in the first PAC-12 Championship game. PAC 12 rules states that the team with the better record gets to host the Championship game. I disagree with this. The conference championship game should be at a neutral site just like how the other conferences do it. A good neutral site would have been Las Vegas for the PAC title...or maybe just an excuse for me to go to Vegas....hehe. I like ASU as the sleeper in the PAC-12 south. I think that they will give USC all that they can handle for that division title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 10:19 AM

297 posts, read 400,123 times
Awesome week one game. Looking forward to this college football season. My early prediction is a Oregon vs South Carolina National Championship Game. I'd like to see Stanford make it to the big game but I think Oregon still has way to much fire power on offense. But maybe having the home field in there match-up will help them.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,184,179 times
Looks like another sucky quarterback year for Cal.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
Awesome week one game. Looking forward to this college football season. My early prediction is a Oregon vs South Carolina National Championship Game. I'd like to see Stanford make it to the big game but I think Oregon still has way to much fire power on offense. But maybe having the home field in there match-up will help them.

Isn't that an awesome week 1 match-up? What sucks for one of those 2 teams is that the loser will already be on the outside looking in after week one. I wish more CFB teams schedule like this. This is what makes CFB so compelling. I see your point about Oregon, but I don't believe they go undefeated for the second straight year in the conference. There defense is way too suspect. I can see the slipping one at Stanford.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Looks like another sucky quarterback year for Cal.
Man tell me about it. Jeff Tedford use to be a QB guru. What in the hell happened I haven't checked yet but I think the QB spot is wide open for CAL, and if not it should be.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,184,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getshorty View Post
Man tell me about it. Jeff Tedford use to be a QB guru. What in the hell happened I haven't checked yet but I think the QB spot is wide open for CAL, and if not it should be.
He announced last month it would be the new guy who transferred from Buffalo, Zach Maynard. Tedford has had better luck with transfers (Aaron Rodgers) but I'm not gonna hold my breath. If you didn't know better you'd think he was a tailback guru but at QB, not so much.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:44 PM

297 posts, read 400,123 times
Quote:
Isn't that an awesome week 1 match-up? What sucks for one of those 2 teams is that the loser will already be on the outside looking in after week one.
Better to lose one early than to lose one late.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
Quote:

PAC-12 Predicted Standings:

PAC 12 North
Stanford 11-1
Oregon 11-1
CAL 7-5
Oregon St 6-6
Washington 5-7
Wash St. 4-8

Probably right, I'm afraid.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Probably right, I'm afraid.

I think Wash St. might upset a few teams. I do believe that they will be a lot better than the last couple of years. I like Jeff Tuel as a QB.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
He announced last month it would be the new guy who transferred from Buffalo, Zach Maynard. Tedford has had better luck with transfers (Aaron Rodgers) but I'm not gonna hold my breath. If you didn't know better you'd think he was a tailback guru but at QB, not so much.
Tedford does seem like he's been discovering beastly RB after beastly RB. It probably a good thing here of late because not a lot has happened in the passing game. Ok so it is Maynard......Well we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: