U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:30 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,800,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
and home values are high as hell .. so given that the amount you pay =
Home value * (property tax rate) .. the amount that comes out the other end is most often equal if not higher than other states who have higher property tax rates.
What's wrong with having high property values? Would you rather have a house worth $500K or $5K? We have a paid off house in the LA area. We like the fact that it is valued at close to $1 mil (real estate bust notwithstanding).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:19 AM

298 posts, read 530,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

I mostly agree. The thing with Germany is I don't think they really work all that much. Mostly, I think they work smarter rather than harder. But they have an intelligent and well educated population. The US has a dumb population and crappy schools. But I actually think Americans work harder than Germans (but probably not smarter).
America deserves more credit than that. Germans play everything on the safe side. Sure there are a lot of internet companies but all they do for the most part is ape successful American ones. Germans are not necessarily all so educated, trust me there are plenty of unemployed, fat beer-swilling slobs standing around on the streets and drinking at 10AM in Germany. Or, sitting in their homes drinking all day on their unemployment check. But for sure Germany has made some great decisions over the last few years with its handling of the recession, and right now the economy in Germany is pretty strong.

I would agree that Americans work harder. Add to that, Americans in general are more innovative. Look at where all the great innovations are coming from. And not all American schools are crappy, America has some of the best universities in the world. And in America there is a much greater chance to achieve the American Dream. The German Dream, if there is one, is to win a World Cup, and that's about it. Sure there's less of a social net in America, but there's also no ceiling. You can get bloody rich in America. America offers low taxes and one of the most business-friendly economies in the world. Anyone can still make it in America given enough work, smarts and a bit of luck. You can't say that about a lot of other places, especially in Europe.

Everything in Europe, including gasoline, taxes, electronic goods, clothing, etc, is more expensive than in America. Gasoline is something like $6 per gallon has been that way for years. You want a drivers license in Germany? You have to pay 1200 euro (about $1700) to go to driving school first. (But wine is cheaper)

It is fashionable in some circles to be down on America right now. But after 5+ years in Europe I've become convinced that America is still the greatest country in the world.

(You may also substitute "America" with "California" for any of the above statements)

Last edited by scottfreez; 06-22-2011 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,888,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
What's wrong with having high property values? Would you rather have a house worth $500K or $5K? We have a paid off house in the LA area. We like the fact that it is valued at close to $1 mil (real estate bust notwithstanding).
Translation :
I have mine... It benefits me and my situation and don't care for the larger implications of such scaled realities .. Got it . thanks

Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,449,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's easy to have a robust economy when your per capita income is low (China). As far as Japan having a robust economy...you gotta be joking, right? No one in their right mind would say Japan has a robust economy.
Huh? Most countries with low per capita incomes have very poor economies. China is the exception, not the rule. China accomplished something that even the west didn't do, they have pulled 100's of millions of people out of poverty in a matter of decades.

In terms of Japan, Japan is the 3rd largest economy.....

Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,800,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Translation :
I have mine... It benefits me and my situation and don't care for the larger implications of such scaled realities .. Got it . thanks
LOL...why should I lower the value of my $1 million house (and destroy my wealth in the process) so you can afford to buy it for $1? Why do you think you are entitled to have my house for a discount? Entitled much? Desperate to have a piece of the CA dream that is beyond your reach? Is this why you are so bitter? Why you ****** and moan about CA all the time?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:12 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,175,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
The state tax, and income tax, etc...

how bad is it really? I already know CA is an expensive place to live, but.

How do people deal with it, and afford such a high cost of living? and such ridiculous taxes?
TROLL POST!
FWIW other states have extra taxes. Food is taxed in Alabama. Would you like to be taxed at the supermarket?
Other states have more hidden taxes.
At the end of the day its a slightly higher cost of living here, with few tornadoes, blizzards etc. Ya git wat ya pay fer!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:08 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,888,773 times
Quote:
LOL...why should I lower the value of my $1 million house (and destroy my wealth in the process) so you can afford to buy it for $1? Why do you think you are entitled to have my house for a discount? Entitled much? Desperate to have a piece of the CA dream that is beyond your reach? Is this why you are so bitter? Why you ****** and moan about CA all the time?
Who said you had to lower the value of your house for me? Where did I say that.. Please quote me.... The market will lower the value of your house as it already is MOD CUT. It's called economics/markets. What I don't support is the manipulation of the market via (first time home buyer credits/bailouts for morons who bought over priced homes/etc) that serve to keep prices artificially inflated. And no.. high home prices don't help the economy or standard of living .. So, when tax payer dollars are used to hurt the economy/people's standard of living .. there is a problem w/ that... As for me, I have enough cash to put a down payment on your $1 million home the traditional way (20% down) + some .. i think that's $200,000 right? Yeah, and that can buy me a whole house somewhere else...

Following market principles, I don't have to and you don't have to do anything.... As a buyer, I choose to simply say your house is an overpriced p.o.s as is the market in general (even w/ all the tax payer funded programs to keep them high) :

And poof, like magic... Your home price goes down..

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun...sales-20110616
California home sales fall 13.3% in May
With homebuyer tax credits having expired and little job growth, home sales and prices have remained weak this spring. The median price for a home in California was $249,000 in May, down 10.4% from the same month last year and unchanged from April, a report says

Desperate/entitled... Here comes the baseless name calling of another smug Californian who knows diddly squat about how the world works.

Your home price is going down.. has gone way down. That is a fact.. unless you're blind. Why? Because there is a limited supply of morons (even though the govt. is trying to help create more) who are stupid enough to pay such a high price for something that has such a low value.. You can call me all the names you want .. It's not going to change that reality... You got yours. I got mine. I am just not stupid enough to suggest because I have mine that I am right. I do that based on facts/data/analysis .. So keep your depreciating overpriced shack .. Enjoy it .. you worked hard for it.. because I am not delusional enough to see the 'perceived' value in it that you do doesn't say anything about me but that I know what value is .... The market reflects and agrees w/ me :

You are in conflict w/ the market/reality.. Not me.

Last day on city-data (California).. get in all your silly rants on other threads so that I can respond as I wont be slapping you or others in the face w/ reality anymore past midnight.
The future of America/this state will do that just fine.

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-23-2011 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: personal comments

Old 06-22-2011, 02:32 PM

298 posts, read 530,483 times
Later, dude!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:37 PM

26,107 posts, read 28,506,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Huh? Most countries with low per capita incomes have very poor economies. China is the exception, not the rule. China accomplished something that even the west didn't do, they have pulled 100's of millions of people out of poverty in a matter of decades.

In terms of Japan, Japan is the 3rd largest economy.....
Whatever I'm finished debating with you. You just enjoy having the last word.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 PM

26,107 posts, read 28,506,784 times
Quote:
This is the kind of attitude that is killing California and the US as a whole. It's the "I want mine. Screw everyone else" mentality that is prevalent from the guy who bought a house he knew he couldn't afford, to the crazy bankers who lended the money, to the greedy unions, to the people who think it's no big deal to have kids out of wedlock and live off welfare, to the insanely paid CEOs, etc. Everyone seems to notice greed in other people but not in themselves. Will we ever stop to ask ourselves "How's this kind of thinking working for us?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or