U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,783,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
You obviously have no understanding of economics..
Further, i don't even have to provide any comment as to your views...
Your words speak for itself.
Also, I don't know who lied to you but a home is not an investment...
It's an asset that appreciates typically with inflation.
Your benefit was in not paying rent your whole life and building principal.
Beyond that, the market owes you nothing.

No one is complaining, you're the one getting irate ...
I'm fine man.. LOL, my capital is liquid .. My investments yielding double digits .. I've got not a thing to complain about...

I even have some real estate related investments ... Check it out .. It's a REIT (AGNC) :

<- this is what you call an investment.. your house is not one...

How's that investment of yours doing? :

Rage on man.. LOL
Bwahaha....the juvenile who can't afford to pay rent to live in CA boasts about his "liquid investments". You sure have a vivid imagination. You must be smoking crack dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 PM

711 posts, read 1,624,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The point? The point is that the vast majority are paying 9.3% on only a small percentage of their income.
Why are they paying it on any of their income? $45k is about right at the median income in California. Is being lower middle class now a privileged state deserving of paying in the top income tax bracket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
income taxes in California are below average
I don't see how that can possibly be true. Somebody making $45k AGI in California (barely middle class in my opinion) pays a significant percentage of their income in the 6-8% brackets, which are by themselves higher than the top brackets in most states. On top of that, in most states their top brackets don't even apply to median-income taxpayers like the one I just referred to.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,867,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is how governments take more and more of our income in taxes over time.

This gradual process you've described is the way we give away our economic, social, and political liberties....one baby step at a time. Some kind of security (miltary or economic) is always the reason given for having our rights taken away.
I'm not sure how you got that from my post, since I was only saying "I'm used to it since I've lived here forever."

Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,867,669 times
Quote:
I simply quoted your reason to draw it out your statement :
Yeah, and then went on to say we're "trying to forget the situation" by enjoying the amenities this area has to offer... I'm not trying to forget anything, just loving the beach and fabulous weather! I've lived in many other states/regions, and the lower COL wasn't enough to make up for what they lacked. I can understand wanting a more affordable lifestyle, but some of us are willing to pay a premium for the other lifestyle perks. Trust me, I've been there & done that with cheaper areas, and discovered there's a reason they are cheap. As my mother often says, you can't expect Mercedes quality at Hyundai prices.

Quote:
I dont recall I made a single assumption .. if anything, you did by assuming people leave because they can't afford it... As for your 'situation' .. I didn't say anything about it.. you did..
You were arguing only the costs of living here, so of course I assumed that's your main gripe with this area... not everyone leaves due to the COL, but it's probably the #1 reason for relocation. And yes, I did sorta mention my situation, but you seemed to be implying that I live like a pauper - plus I said I could barely afford, which is different from can't afford it. Maybe one day I will consider moving (probably to Reno or Portland), but for now this is definitely where I'm most happy. To each his/her own, though, and I do wonder how low-income folks survive here.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-22-2011 at 09:33 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,878,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Bwahaha....the juvenile who can't afford to pay rent to live in CA boasts about his "liquid investments". You sure have a vivid imagination. You must be smoking crack dude.
You, .highnlite, user_id, and the rest of the crew enjoy yourselves.. I recall .highnlite was made a fool for making assumptions about me .. posted pictures contradicting just about every remark he made.... user_id did the same, copy and pasted my trades.. to that he still couldn't believe me.. Not wasting my time w/ you ..

As for .highnlite, a moderator just stepped in and contradicted his views w/ logic/reason as to crime in CA w/ a personal story and told him to reduce the name calling.. So yeah, you're right at home w/ your bros.

Don't know what an asset is vs. an investment .. and getting all bent out of shape because a market is natural reducing your home's value in-line w/ reality ..
I love how you failed yet again to address any points I made and went right to name calling...

So yeah, I'm poor .. Oh' so broke and out of my mind Whatever makes you happy ! The fantasy world is strong w/ a lot here.

Echo chamber of idiots .. L8rs all.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,878,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
He shore does lack to puff imself up, a sure sign of a person secure about himself, eh?

He, bud, there are no Uhauls on the road to heaven, or hell, if you check out tomorrow, you ain't takin nuthin with you.
Be careful .highnlite, you already got publicly warned on another thread by a moderator for you baseless rants and name calling (something they usually do in private).. Don't get banned from city-data... Would be unfortunate for the crew of name callers to loose their leader

Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,396,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Why are they paying it on any of their income? $45k is about right at the median income in California.
Once again, its $45k after deductions are subtracted from your federal AGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Somebody making $45k AGI in California (barely middle class in my opinion) pays a significant percentage of their income in the 6-8% brackets, which are by themselves higher than the top brackets in most states.
Someone with a $45k AGI will end up paying around $1,100~$1,400 in state income tax depending on their deductions/credits. That is only 2.5~3.0% of their AGI and even a smaller portion of their total income. That is a below average income tax rate.

California's tax system is more progressive than most states as a result low/mid income folks end up with low tax burdens in California.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,396,176 times
Quote:
user_id did the same, copy and pasted my trades.. to that he still couldn't believe me..
You're thinking of someone else kiddo, I don't bother confronting people that I suspect are full of it online and I really don't care whether you have money or not.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,783,550 times
Quote:

Don't know what an asset is vs. an investment .. and getting all bent out of shape because a market is natural reducing your home's value in-line w/ reality ..
Who's getting bent out of shape about anything? Last time I checked, you're the one who has a full time job on City Data whining (i.e. getting bent out of shape) about how bad CA has been to you.

I'm happy as a clam with my paid off home. Since I'm not selling my home, I could care less what the market says my home is worth. Although, based on recent comparable sales in the neighborhood, the market says my house is worth between $800K to $1 million (that's after the correction). All things being equal, people would rather see their homes appreciate in value. Only idiots and masochists would wish their homes depreciate to being worthless.

You sound like someone who just discovered investing. You don't really have any money, yet you think you are Warren Buffet. LOL....Keep smoking that crack. You are too entertaining.....

Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,620,440 times
Quote:
Be careful .highnlite, you already got publicly warned on another thread by a moderator for you baseless rants and name calling (something they usually do in private).. Don't get banned from city-data... Would be unfortunate for the crew of name callers to loose their leade
You have quite the imagination. Like the Mark I Conservative does, you just make stuff up. Too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or