U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:54 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,449,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Canada has a health care system where the wait time for receiving major medical care can be as long as 4 months. Canadians are frustrated with the waiting time when they need medical attention immediately.
What does this have to do with my comment? Nothing. Despite its problems the Canadians still don't want to replace their system with ours....that says a lot about our system doesn't it?

The American system ranks poorly and is one of the most expensive, switching to a Canadian like system would be an improvement.... But I'd suggest the French model. Low cost and one of the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:11 PM

2,093 posts, read 3,936,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What does this have to do with my comment? Nothing. Despite its problems the Canadians still don't want to replace their system with ours....that says a lot about our system doesn't it?

The American system ranks poorly and is one of the most expensive, switching to a Canadian like system would be an improvement.... But I'd suggest the French model. Low cost and one of the best!
More profound ignorance.

I suggest doing some research on the two-tiered health care in Canada and the wait time for major surgeries compared to the emergency response in the U.S.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:20 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,888,773 times
Quote:
More profound ignorance.

I suggest doing some research on the two-tiered health care in Canada and the wait time for major surgeries compared to the emergency response in the U.S.
Yep TimC2462, user_id shows his profound ignorance again.. Jumping into every discussion he can w/o knowing much of anything. Knowing a great deal about Canada's healthcare system and politics (because of actual people i know who live there and tell me about it)... They have a mountain of problems of their own. They just elected a conservative leader as well who is going to take healthcare to task ..Further, there are tiered plans in Canada .. and you do pay more for diff. tiers..

Suffice to say, someone brought up Canada/EU as they always do ... and I nicely pointed out all is not amazing in those countries either (who have higher taxation) .. a lot of them largely have rigid government expenditures which don't do well at adjusting to bad economic times.. rigid systems never stand the test of time.

Anyway.. I am not going to respond to user_ids comments anymore .. he loves to take things off topic which such troll like replies.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 06-16-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
More profound ignorance.

Timmy....why do you bother with this? Once again your response doesn't address what I'm talking about. Never did I suggest that the Canadian medical system is without problems...

Also, I love how people pick one thing to focus on when they try to compare medical systems.... C'mon....you have to look at the systems as a whole.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:42 PM

841 posts, read 1,083,819 times
Regarding the orginal question, everybody has their own story. In my case, there are two issues:

First, when I did move to California, I moved from Montreal. At the time, taxes in Quebec were considerably higher than taxes in California. So right from the beginning, I didn't feel like I was paying more in taxes, in fact I felt like I was paying a lot less!

That was more than 30 years ago.

Second, in those 30+ years I have had a long time to get used to the "high" taxes. I've had many years of practice living below my means, taking the taxes into account. As the taxes have gone up, my means have gone up as well.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Timmy....why do you bother with this? Once again your response doesn't address what I'm talking about. Never did I suggest that the Canadian medical system is without problems...

Also, I love how people pick one thing to focus on when they try to compare medical systems.... C'mon....you have to look at the systems as a whole.
Ah, put a sock in it.

As usual, you deflect the topic by asking idiotic questions whenever you're backed into a corner.

Last edited by TimC2462; 06-16-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
As usual, you deflect the topic by asking idiotic questions whenever you're backed into a corner.
Deflecting the topic? The topic is taxes in California and you are trying to debate about the Canadian health care system. I made a brief comment about Canadians not wanting the American system in response to another post....and in response to this you start yapping about "ignorance".

Old 06-16-2011, 04:02 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
I see two coping strategies:
1) Live in denial (e.g. beyond one's means). Never pay off your mortgage, keep refinancing. Keep the credit cards nearly maxed out. Live at the edge of the desert where houses are cheap. Have nothing for retirement.
2) Live like a hillbilly!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Except of course the problems in Greece have nothing to do with their social model and level of taxation, other European countries with even larger social models are doing just fine (Sweden, Norway, Germany, etc).

Canadians don't want our health care system, in fact, nobody does.

See post #47 in this thread, specifically this:

Quote:
The topic is taxes in California and you are trying to debate about the Canadian health care system.

Nice cop out.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 PM

3.) Live below your means, invest and shelter income from taxes and watch your net-worth grow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or