U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,408,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
See post #47 in this thread, specifically this:
Huh? I referenced that comment in my previous post.....and as you can see it was a comment about how Canadians view the American system...nothing more. And now I'm copping out, by pointing out that I never said anything about the quality of the Canadian system. You just can't make this stuff up.....

So taxes, California taxes its low/mid income residents lightly and this group represents around 80% of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:10 PM

2,093 posts, read 3,924,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
huh? I referenced that comment in my previous post.....and as you can see it was a comment about how canadians view the american system...nothing more. And now i'm copping out, by pointing out that i never said anything about the quality of the canadian system. You just can't make this stuff up.....

So taxes, california taxes its low/mid income residents lightly and this group represents around 80% of the state.
rofl.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:22 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,880,636 times
Quote:
3.) Live below your means, invest and shelter income from taxes and watch your net-worth grow...
#4 .. after you have grown enough ... leave and go some place you can enjoy the monies you slaved to make/shelter.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:33 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,408,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
#4 .. after you have grown enough ... leave and go some place you can enjoy the monies you slaved to make/shelter.
You can't enjoy money in California?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
You can't enjoy money in California?
Keeping w/ my animated gif theme.. and keeping things comical.. To answer your question :

The only thing I do in California is save and shelter my money... You're punished for 'enjoying' your money here...
Why do it? I do the free stuff.. it tides me over...
this is inline w/ your #3 .. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id
3.) Live below your means, invest and shelter income from taxes and watch your net-worth grow...
I am just not stupid enough to spend here.. that's where one would make a big mistake...

First purchase when I get out of California :
> 2008/2009 BMW e90 M3 (cash)

--- Sorry California.. No $600-700 annual Car registration fee

> A nice 3/2.5 home built in year 2008+ (cash) to raise my family in...
http://realestatewall.com/wp-content/themes/thesis_16/custom/images/home_styles.jpg (broken link)
($120-$145k)
--- Sorry California.. No 1/2 million dollars for some shack apartment ... and $5-6k in property taxes...
Me = money enjoyed .. shelter and security for my family .. still have money in the bank.

Will you throw a send away party for me user_id?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,915,360 times
To be honest, I don't even notice the taxes at this point... I've lived here since 1983, when I was only 6 years old, so it's pretty much all I know! To me they're just normal, and when I attended college in Oregon, things seemed REALLY cheap without that sales tax. So it's all about perspective, I suppose.

I'm also a renter, so property/real estate taxes are a moot point to me. That's probably one of the main ways we "save," by not buying houses too soon - as many people do in other parts of the US. I'm 34 years old, and about half of my friends & same-aged family members are renters too. The ones that do own houses are married with high incomes, or they live in really tiny places in less desirable (but still nice) areas. Personally I like being a renter anyway, since it gives me the freedom to move, and saves me the money & hassle of ownership.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-16-2011 at 05:00 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM

841 posts, read 1,079,601 times
Quote:
I know plenty of people who are retired and living well in California. My parents, for example. But the key is, they have a paid-off home to live in, so no mortgage or rent.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
I know plenty of people who are retired and living well in California. My parents, for example. But the key is, they have a paid-off home to live in, so no mortgage or rent.
Your parents didn't pay 1/2 million for a shack either and their property taxes aren't locked into such valuations.. neither did your parents graduate w/ mountains of debt (like a lot of people from my generation do).. Things change like i keep telling people but that provides no answer to those still viewing things in the past.. I don't know what to say to such commentary.

I'll have a paid off home before i hit 30 ... I dunno... I don't know about your parent's circumstances nor do I feel the way people from the past got along in California has anything to do w/ how people presently do or will in the future (the future being my major concern given that I am young and looking to start a family.. unlike your parents).

Old 06-16-2011, 05:15 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,915,360 times
Quote:
Your parents didn't pay 1/2 million for a shack either and their property taxes aren't locked into such valuations.. neither did your parents graduate w/ mountains of debt (like a lot of people from my generation do).. Things change like i keep telling people but that provides no answer to those still viewing things in the past.. I don't know what to say to such commentary.

I'll have a paid off home before i hit 30 ... I dunno... I don't know about your parent's circumstances nor do I feel the way people from the past got along in California has anything to do w/ how people presently do or will in the future (the future being my major concern given that I am young and looking to start a family.. unlike your parents).
This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but I guess you can either afford it or you can't... and if you're on the fence, you can decide to make sacrifices or relocate. Sucks, but what else can we do? Make the state lower taxes and COL? Not likely!

I can barely afford it myself, and considered relocating (to Oregon or Nevada) after college - but ultimately it was more important to be near my family/friends, so I accepted that it won't be easy for now. One day I might change my mind and move, or I'll be in a more financially comfortable situation. Until then, I just try to live within my means, and enjoy living here in the meantime. If I ever start to feel discouraged, I go to the beach or one of my other favorite spots, and it reminds me why I've chosen to make this decision.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but I guess you can either afford it or you can't... and if you're on the fence, you can decide to make sacrifices or relocate. Sucks, but what else can we do? Make the state lower taxes and COL? Not likely!

I can barely afford it myself, and considered relocating (to Oregon or Nevada) after college - but ultimately it was more important to be near my family/friends, so I accepted that it won't be easy for now. One day I might change my mind and move, or I'll be in a more financially comfortable situation. Until then, I just try to live within my means, and enjoy living here in the meantime. If I ever start to feel discouraged, I go to the beach or one of my other favorite spots, and it reminds me why I've chosen to make this decision.
Affording something is different from finding justification to spend your money on it.. you have your justification :
Quote:
> but ultimately it was more important to be near my family/friends, so I accepted that it won't be easy for now.
This has nothing to do w/ affordability... just like my decision to move doesn't have anything to do w/ affordability... I have enough to buy a shack in cash here.. I'm just not dumb enough to do so.

Quote:
I go to the beach or one of my other favorite spots, and it reminds me why I've chosen to make this decision.
Correction.. you do these things to forget about the high cost of your staying here.

Where i will be going has better/warmer beaches ... and spots.. spots are just spots.. I wouldn't use them to ignore blaring problems though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or