U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:48 PM

430 posts, read 1,459,595 times

Advertisements

The state tax, and income tax, etc...

how bad is it really? I already know CA is an expensive place to live, but.

How do people deal with it, and afford such a high cost of living? and such ridiculous taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:12 PM

4,631 posts, read 8,899,121 times
I dont think its particularly high cost. I think there is a common misconception about taxes across the US. AFAIK, from research I have done each state has certain nuances or offsetting factors which can be deceiving if one were to look line by line at matching itemized taxes.

The trade offs are abundant. For example, New Jersey. For a 400k house in Monmouth County, its 20k yr in property taxes. If you work in NYC as many do, you get dinged for both NYC tax AND NJ income tax. This to me is ridiculous but people do it.

Go to Florida. They have a death tax. Yup you pay taxes for dying which are essentially passed on to the next of kin or whatever remaining monies may have been remaining from dead person.

So, while I agree that CA has more upfront costs when it comes to paychecks and things like that, Property taxes are dirt cheap. IMHO they offset each other. We also have laws here that protect employees which are also tax related. Like CA has one of the best FMLA programs in the country which I think is superb.

Have taxes been mismanaged? Definitely. I think the broader question is, does CA have a future in its people and businesses to sustain a good balance of govt through its current tax structure?

I have said this before and will say it again. To "most" families that are just trying to provide the best they can to their families, its just an oxymoron to even fathom living in San Diego. When people look at what matters to them on the surface which is just getting by via take home pay, taking care of the family etc, it makes no sense financially. There are other states that can potentially pay more than SD, tax less and provide a safe environment for raising kids. You also have to understand that people that have been here for 20+ years are on easy street. They are paying low property taxes and their homes regardless of the current market, STILL appreciated 2-3 times what they paid easily. Why would they move except to cash in? So to them its relatively inexpensive to live here.

When it comes to SD, evaluating the trade offs vs somewhere else is the smartest thing to do. There are lots of struggling families here and some that dont have to worry about a thing. Its a bit black and white and living in SD requires a lot more thinking and strategy for most than just setting up shop in Anytown USA and just getting on with day to day life.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,458,365 times
complain on city-data, haha.

Unfortunately you get used to it and it becomes part of the negatives of living here. I get so pissed every time I have to pay that stupid e-waste recycling fee when I buy electronics. You just suck it up, vote and hope one day politicians will get it and give us a break. But as you are well aware, many don't have that hope and leave partly because this stuff.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM

455 posts, read 988,031 times
Right. We vote and in the meantime, we take it with KY.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM

4,631 posts, read 8,899,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Right. We vote and in the meantime, we take it with KY.
LOL yup.

I just read that Jerry Brown may be resorting to accounting tactics to fix the budget if they all cant agree.
That should go over nicely.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 PM

1,658 posts, read 6,878,672 times
You get used to it really fast I guess.And if you are here sense well forever;it's all you know.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,892,033 times
Some get used to it and use the good weather as justification.
Others don't and leave eventually.

As human beings we don't like conflict for too long.. So either you tell yourself it's worth it and convince yourself of how its worse somewhere else in the world so I am o.k w/ it.. or you take action and leave.

How do people cope financially? Well, the majority of Americans live paycheck to paycheck .. So, basically by being broke.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 PM

43,582 posts, read 52,772,341 times
I am guessing they deal with it by having next to nothing in savings.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,367,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
The state tax, and income tax, etc...

how bad is it really? I already know CA is an expensive place to live, but.

How do people deal with it, and afford such a high cost of living? and such ridiculous taxes?
Sometimes you have to moonlight.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:30 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,892,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Sometimes you have to moonlight.
Agggghhhhhhh I just choked on some gummi bears.. wbahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or