U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,980 times

Advertisements

We hope to retire in the foothills above Chico in the next couple of years. Can someone tell me more about Forest Ranch? What are the pros and cons of living in Forest Ranch vs. Paradise? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,613,082 times
I would pick Forest Ranch in a heartbeat. Forest Ranch is just a bunch of houses in the forest. Lassen Park and Lake Almanor is a quick drive up a great road for motorcycles and sports cars.

Paradise has become a big sprawling town.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:16 PM

28 posts, read 72,411 times
I would select Paradise- It has a large Retirement community, where as Forest Ranch is made up of Pot heads, Burnt out Hippies, and Rednecks...a bunch of Hicks...
Paradise is a conservative town and Chico is much more progressive and lively for us older folks...

Old 08-11-2011, 04:20 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,613,082 times
Aren't rednecks by definition Conservatives?

And what does Chico have to do with this thread?

Living in a retirement community has always struck me as a bad idea, all your friends and neighbors eventually move out, feet first.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:38 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,545,829 times
Regardless the political & cultural persuasion of the "locals", the problem with Forest Ranch is that unless you're really into being totally self-sufficient, there's just nuthin' else up there except a gas station and small mini-mart, and with only one road in or out. Need anything more than that, and the closest thing is a half hour hike down the hill to Chico.

As far as Paradise being a "big sprawling town", I live there, and it was never that. And in this economy, it's currently a shadow of whatever it's former self, with a recent count of over 80 empty storefronts! But the temperature is on average significantly cooler than Chico and the valley, I haven't seen a "traffic jam" in eons, there are still semi-"rural" areas, and there's always a decent selection of local shops, hardware, grocers, drug stores, health care, movies and restaurants to choose from, all uncrowded and without driving more than a mile or so!

Last edited by mateo45; 08-12-2011 at 02:50 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,980 times
Default Paradise vs. Forest Ranch

Thanks, Mateo. Helpful information on the pros and cons of Paradise and Forest Ranch. Saw another one of your postings regarding Paradise's more forested areas and it's banana belt section as well.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM

71,546 posts, read 83,047,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcat View Post
We hope to retire in the foothills above Chico in the next couple of years. Can someone tell me more about Forest Ranch? What are the pros and cons of living in Forest Ranch vs. Paradise? Thanks.
I know nothing about Forest Ranch, but I do know a lot about Paradise. It is a great place to live, especially for retireees, but not just them, for almost anyone. It is small city with good grocery stores, drug stores, good medical facilities and only a few minutes from Chico for everything else. The weather is mild compared to some areas near Chico but it offers four seasons. Also, though it is on the conservative side, it offers a good mixture of views as some of the educators from Chico State live there.

Nita

Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM

15,266 posts, read 17,651,115 times
My brother graduated from Chico. His in- laws had a cabin at Lake Almanor. We had some FUn times up thar, on vacations. We also camped several times at Lake Oroville. Had some great times & c&r nice sized bass.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 474 times
My husband and I are thinking about where to retire. I've seen many homes from the web sites that are just perfect in what we want to buy in Paridise Ca. Our daughter tries to discourage us from moving there because she thinks it is full of drug infested activities and crime. What is the real scoop about this town. I would love to hear from some long time residents please .

Old 10-17-2017, 10:33 AM

37,906 posts, read 2,852,950 times
Forest Ranch would be too isolated for me, I like to be a bit nearer to gas stations & shopping, restaurants etc.

I lol at Paradise being called a big sprawling town. Its kinda hinky dink. I hear about crime on the tv news or on the FB pages, but I do not see any in our day to day life. Come up & see it for yourselves, there are several motels & hotels up here.

We are not a long time residents, we moved up here last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California