U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:06 AM

14,940 posts, read 7,266,325 times

Advertisements

A long time ago, I worked with a lady who grew up in Modesto and when she went to college, jumped at the chance to move from there to Southern California. She actually wanted to move to San Francisco because she loves the city, but her dad wouldn't let her because there were "too many freaks."

When I lived in Sacramento, I made a couple trips to the Vintage Faire Mall on a weekend when it was crowded, of course. I thought for a city of its size, Modesto had a nice shopping mall. I could remember when leaving the mall, I could smell something foul in the air. Perhaps it was cattle manure?

I know the weather there is just like Sacramento, with the scorching summers and tule fog in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 04:38 AM

8 posts, read 43,906 times
Haha, yeah it can smell sometimes if you're outta town. But I think Vintage Faire is one of the nicest malls in the Central Valley. And I do agree that summers can be too hot, but nothing a trip to the lake or pool won't fix and I think the winter fog and overcast is the single worst thing about weather in Modesto and the whole Valley.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:39 AM

So are you saying that Chicago is worse than Modesto? lol

Old 06-18-2011, 10:32 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,610,533 times
I lived in Oakdale seven years when I was a kid and Stanislaus County was a pretty nice place back then. But then again, so was most of California. Thankfully Oakdale has stayed pretty nice so I don't get the "you can't go home again" feeling when I visit. Modesto has changed pretty radically in the last two decades and not always for the better.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:17 PM

244 posts, read 504,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slivermartian View Post
Just like Fresno, Stockton and all of the Central Valley, people seem to have no respect for this part of the state and act like if it's not in LA, SD or the bay then its terrible. I just want to know where everyone gets their ideas about Modesto, it seems like people who talk about Modesto either don't live there or have never really spent time there, because as someone who has lived here my whole life and spent three years out of state at college, i've found a new appreciation for my hometown.
i'm from modesto... well, a city very close to modesto.

it's interesting when an experience out of state can make you miss your hometown. the same thing happened with me except i added a couple other experiences.

the appreciation i've gotten is from my friends who still live there. there aren't many friends left there, but the friends who are still there give a new perspective/appreciation to the place you're from.

who cares if other people hate modesto? all that matters is that you don't.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:53 AM

14,940 posts, read 7,266,325 times
Quote:
Haha, yeah it can smell sometimes if you're outta town. But I think Vintage Faire is one of the nicest malls in the Central Valley. And I do agree that summers can be too hot, but nothing a trip to the lake or pool won't fix and I think the winter fog and overcast is the single worst thing about weather in Modesto and the whole Valley.
I really didn't venture too far from the mall, and thought that part of town was really nice, so I don't have any experience with the not-so-nice parts. When the weather gets too hot in the summer, I agree that a trip to the lake or pool is in order. Also, thank goodness for air conditioning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unruly Sky View Post
i'm from modesto... well, a city very close to modesto.

it's interesting when an experience out of state can make you miss your hometown. the same thing happened with me except i added a couple other experiences.

the appreciation i've gotten is from my friends who still live there. there aren't many friends left there, but the friends who are still there give a new perspective/appreciation to the place you're from.

who cares if other people hate modesto? all that matters is that you don't.
^^^And that's the bottom line!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:51 AM

931 posts, read 849,385 times
Many of the Central Valleys issues and problems have been around for many decades. But until quite recently, everyone just sort of took it with a "live and let live" attitude and understood that it has its good areas and bad areas, just like any other city/state/region. You can't expect to get a good impression of Los Angeles based on driving down one street in Compton, right? The Valley is 400 or so miles long. So judging it based on a few of the towns (which themselves constitute many disparate areas) seems kind of superflous.

I don't believe for a second that scorn and disdain for the Central Valley comes from the fact that you can't find a Mongolian Art and Culture center in Downtown Chowchilla. I think the REAL reason the SJV is everyones favorite whipping boy of choice as far as perception and image issues quite simply ties back to the housing bubble and subsequent collapse.

During the bubble years, the San Joaquin Valley was everyones darling: the up and coming next San Jose, San Diego, or LA. And why not? It was a huge party with home prices appreciating 100% annually. Countless people pocketed kings ransoms just from flipping houses. Folks who worked in Silicon Valley were able to buy homes that were twice as large and nice as comparable ones in San Jose for a third the price.

And all was good with the world.

Until.

The bottom fell out and the fraud was exposed.

Now. Those who were on the proverbial gravy train saw their "free" money evaporate. For those whom it still hasn't sunk in that a house is a place to live and not a piggybank suddenly find themselves owing more than it's worth. Now, they not only can't pull out more money for that vacation to Tahiti or that new Escalade, they actually have to pay back the money they already took.

I don't think it's "bad areas" anything.

I think it all boils down to the fact that the housing bubble economy slammed here the hardest. And simply put, people are PO'd and bitter about it. That's the beginning of it. That's the end of it. Just plain old sour grapes and they need something to vent about. I mean after all, if the Valley really was that fundamentally flawed and undesirable, the bubble likely wouldn't have happened in the first place.

It's no coincidence that numerous billboards in the area offering re-fi's, loan consolidation, and even BK services all show a picture of an angry, crying baby infant next to the captions.

Last edited by Des-Lab; 06-19-2011 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 12:06 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,462,928 times
Nothing like expressing your thoughts and viewpoints with a link

Old 06-19-2011, 03:49 PM

[quote=Des-Lab;19655260] The Valley is 400 or so miles long. So judging it based on a few of the towns (which themselves constitute many disparate areas) seems kind of superflous.

Absolutely

I don't believe for a second that scorn and disdain for the Central Valley comes from the fact that you can't find a Mongolian Art and Culture center in Downtown Chowchilla. I think the REAL reason the SJV is everyones favorite whipping boy of choice as far as perception and image issues quite simply ties back to the housing bubble and subsequent collapse.

During the bubble years, the San Joaquin Valley was everyones darling: the up and coming next San Jose, San Diego, or LA. And why not? It was a huge party with home prices appreciating 100% annually. Countless people pocketed kings ransoms just from flipping houses. Folks who worked in Silicon Valley were able to buy homes that were twice as large and nice as comparable ones in San Jose for a third the price.

And all was good with the world.

Until.

The bottom fell out and the fraud was exposed.

Now. Those who were on the proverbial gravy train saw their "free" money evaporate. For those whom it still hasn't sunk in that a house is a place to live and not a piggybank suddenly find themselves owing more than it's worth. Now, they not only can't pull out more money for that vacation to Tahiti or that new Escalade, they actually have to pay back the money they already took.

I don't think it's "bad areas" anything.

I think it all boils down to the fact that the housing bubble economy slammed here the hardest. And simply put, people are PO'd and bitter about it. That's the beginning of it. That's the end of it. Just plain old sour grapes and they need something to vent about. I mean after all, if the Valley really was that fundamentally flawed and undesirable, the bubble likely wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Agreed I think that if it's such a terrible place, then why did so many people move here, price alone won't make you move to hell...
Thanks for your input!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 PM

981 posts, read 2,673,928 times
Their are many Good Communities throughout the Central Valley,but their are people that have their preferences and just don't like the Weather,Air Quality,Location among other things,so what i've learned is as long as your happy,then don't worry about what others say or think.

I also live in the Central Valley and love living here and I don't want to ever move back up to Washington State....I'm much happier down here and i'm also more outgoing too since moving to California.

Quote:
Just like Fresno, Stockton and all of the Central Valley, people seem to have no respect for this part of the state and act like if it's not in LA, SD or the bay then its terrible. I just want to know where everyone gets their ideas about Modesto, it seems like people who talk about Modesto either don't live there or have never really spent time there, because as someone who has lived here my whole life and spent three years out of state at college, i've found a new appreciation for my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California