Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 05:07 PM

979 posts, read 2,082,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s819 View Post
I don't hate Modesto... I've been there plenty of times. The downtown is pretty boring and nothing going on there.

But what do people expect? It's not L.A. or San Francisco or New York or some other major city.

Sacramento, being the capitol of California, is probably the best city in the Central Valley.
No, it is the best city in the Central Valley. It definitely has the best quality of life among the CV towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,748,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
No, it is the best city in the Central Valley. It definitely has the best quality of life among the CV towns.
Sac Metro is a pretty nice area as a whole. Lodi and Tracy are also decent communities.

I've heard that Visalia and North Fresno/Clovis are nice areas, too, but I've never been there. I've gotten mixed reviews on Chico, but a large university is there and it's a college town, so it can't be so bad.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,706,251 times
the 3 H's-
High crime
Horrible schools
Hotness

nuff said

The only reason some people live there is as to use it for a commuter community to the Bay Area for jobs (hour and half). This people are the ones who shop at H&M, Trader Joes, and local stores.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,456,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
Oh really, where are those wealthy black and Latino communities? And so you know, I'm pretty well traveled. I've spent my entire life here in the valley and know 9 out of 10 people will tell you Modesto isn't "nice."

You don't have to like my opinions... but that doesn't make the truth any less real.
In CA.....as far as I can remember off the top of my head...

Wealthy Black Enclaves:

Ladera Heights (zip 90056)
View Park (part of 90043)
Baldwin Hills (part 90008 and 90043)
Inglewood 90305
Carson 90746 (north Carson)
(all in LA County and still majority Black, though some have a growing Hispanic population)

And there are other well-off areas throughout Southern California with a fair number of blacks in them.

I wouldn't say these are wealthy to the point of being exclusive, but the household incomes rank pretty high up there for the nation, and decently for the state.

I don't know specific neighborhoods in Oakland well but I am SURE that, the city having a large black population, there would be a few affluent black neighborhoods there, too. Maybe someone with better knowledge of the area could pipe in here.

As for Latinos/Hispanics, you would be surprised, given what you have posted I live in a zip code that is a little over 80% Hispanic, but a goodly number of large homes or large lots(or both) with pride of ownership evident....and mariachi music mixed with Spanish conversation and the smell of Fabuloso of Suavetiel wafting out of the back yard...well, maybe not all of those at the same time. Try quite a bit of L.A. County and some of the older parts of Orange County. For that matter, some of the IE, too.

Granted, Hispanics are not all alike. You have your U.S born and bred, as well as your naturalized citizens, your green-card holders (legal aliens) and your illegal immigrants.

This does not mean, of course, that these better-off areas don't have problems or that some of the people in them are not racists or ethnic bigots, but, the picture and its explanation is far more complex than your aforementioned presentation.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,706,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
In CA.....as far as I can remember off the top of my head...

Wealthy Black Enclaves:

Ladera Heights (zip 90056)
View Park (part of 90043)
Baldwin Hills (part 90008 and 90043)
Inglewood 90305
Carson 90746 (north Carson)
(all in LA County and still majority Black, though some have a growing Hispanic population)

And there are other well-off areas throughout Southern California with a fair number of blacks in them.

I wouldn't say these are wealthy to the point of being exclusive, but the household incomes rank pretty high up there for the nation, and decently for the state.

I don't know specific neighborhoods in Oakland well but I am SURE that, the city having a large black population, there would be a few affluent black neighborhoods there, too. Maybe someone with better knowledge of the area could pipe in here.

As for Latinos/Hispanics, you would be surprised, given what you have posted I live in a zip code that is a little over 80% Hispanic, but a goodly number of large homes or large lots(or both) with pride of ownership evident....and mariachi music mixed with Spanish conversation and the smell of Fabuloso of Suavetiel wafting out of the back yard...well, maybe not all of those at the same time. Try quite a bit of L.A. County and some of the older parts of Orange County. For that matter, some of the IE, too.

Granted, Hispanics are not all alike. You have your U.S born and bred, as well as your naturalized citizens, your green-card holders (legal aliens) and your illegal immigrants.

This does not mean, of course, that these better-off areas don't have problems or that some of the people in them are not racists or ethnic bigots, but, the picture and its explanation is far more complex than your aforementioned presentation.
Palmdale has wealthy black neighborhoods too.

Santa Maria has some affluent hispanic neighborhoods and as well as Oxnard.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,502,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slivermartian View Post
Why Do People Hate on Modesto?
Because they have been in Modesto!

What the hell kind of grammar is "Why Do People Hate on Modesto?" This is just one tiny part of the ignorance displayed by folk in Modesto.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,531,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Because they have been in Modesto!

What the hell kind of grammar is "Why Do People Hate on Modesto?" This is just one tiny part of the ignorance displayed by folk in Modesto.
"Hate on" is current slang used by many people (including myself occasionally). Its not indicative of intelligence or education and you should be ashamed of yourself for implying that the O.P. is ignorant based on that. You might also want to be careful flashing your Grammar Police badge - I'm sure you could be schooled pretty well if someone wanted to go back through your posts and pick them apart. Most people posting in internet forums aren't over pedantic about the grammar they use.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,502,195 times
No, poor English skills are just bad. Shall we say sloppy!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:08 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,221,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
No, poor English skills are just bad. Shall we say sloppy!
Who wakes up mad about grammar on a Saturday morning?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:21 PM

47 posts, read 88,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
I would not call you a racist, but I would call you one hell of a poorly travelled individual. California has a few pretty wealthy Latino and Black communities.

Ah, clever! Because prisons cost so much I guess they could be considered wealthy communities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California