U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 AM

18,202 posts, read 15,440,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What ever happened to Dr. George? Christine Lund? Tricia Toyota? George Putnam?
Dr. George (Fischbeck) is about 84 years old. He's still around- one of my car friends saw him just last week. I'm pretty sure he's retired.

George Putnam, now 93 years old (!), can still be heard on CRN digital radio from 12:00 to 2:00 PM. crni.net is the web address.

Not sure about Christine Lund- I guess she is retired, too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 AM

55,414 posts, read 11,684,379 times
Good night Hal

Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 AM

500 posts, read 1,280,045 times
The news last night reported that he had been the longest running news anchor, same channel/network in the world!

They also showed some pictures of him from his youth, my guess would be the 50's, maybe early 60's, and I barely even recognize him!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,100,130 times
Default For nostalgia's sake, but could make a text-book study in 'what's happened to the news...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Don't know about Christine Lund, either. A quick web search didn't turn up much. On YouTube I found this fun little clip from 1979 of the 11 p.m., Channel 7 Eyewitness News. The clip features Christine with Jerry Dunphy, Johnny Mountain and Ed Arnold:
YouTube - KABC 11:00pm News Open, Mid-1979 (1 min 2 sec).

The look back at the stark "blandness" of local news then compared to now is awesome. Then again, the stories carried more substance. In this clip the top stories involve a LA City Schools integration issue, noise rules at Burbank Airport (now Bob Hope), U.N./Middle-east progress (or lack of it), a Dr.-sex with patients story, a fun look at June's grunion hunt, and an incidental mention of one traffic jam on a southland freeway. (Guess jammed traffic still made L.A. news 28 years ago. ) Substitute those with the headlines of any given night nowadays: a car chase/crash/arrest, a shooting, an affair, and a celebrity scandal -- all caught on tape, punctuated with tons of visuals and warble graphics. We still hear about the U.N./Middle-east, only buried somewhere after sports.

Hal Fishman would have been proud of this look back to 1979 and hear Jerry open with his trademark, "From the desert to the sea to all of Southern California...," that Hal later adopted.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-08-2007 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: blasted spelling, Johny, Johnny!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

I think she (was/is) married to an old KNXT-TV (now KCBS-TV) anchor named Joseph Benti???

This is hard to believe:

"Lund currently runs a small general store in Alaska."

from

Information And Facts About Christine Lund (http://www.mbceo.com/science/more_information.php?c=Christine_Lund - broken link)

So is this:

"It was there, at KNXT where Benti left his first wife of eighteen years and his three children and began a torrid, live-in, relationship with the rising KABC Eyewitness News 7 anchorwoman Christine Lund. Almost twenty years his junior, Lund was the first local female television news personality to land a million-dollar-per-year contract, and who would over the next five years undergo three unwanted pregnancies and abortions by Benti. Finally, in the end, she drove Benti out of their Hollywood hills home at gunpoint."

from

Joseph Benti

Old 08-08-2007, 03:23 PM

18,202 posts, read 15,440,095 times
I do know one thing about Christine Lund. She used to live in the gated Monteria Estates area in Chatsworth. These are the estates which are located on Winnetka Ave. north of Devonshire St. There is even a small lake in the neighborhood (Monteria Lake). Even though I've lived nearby for 41 years, I've never been in that neighborhood (because it's gated).
Back in the '70s, the homes there were worth $1 million; they are probably selling now for $3-5 million, maybe even more.

Thanks, cre8, for that youtube clip. I was watching ch. 7 Eyewitness News back then. I liked that old theme song (which is from the movie "Cool Hand Luke") and that announcer, too.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,788 times
Default hal fishman

my commentary: ktla is not the same ktla when hal was around,their reporters change frequently,it seems like hal kept the newsroom stable. i wonder if hal was alive what would he comment on about the ktla news. bill smith dissapeared,willa sandmyer ,carlos,are just 3 that have dissapeared. it would be nice to have all our favorite reporters back. rest in peace Hal ,hopefully the station will stabelize, i wonder if they are trying to be like their rival kttv with basically blondes and a man? please share your thoughts!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,807,702 times
You resurrected Hal.
FrankenHal!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 PM

48,394 posts, read 39,428,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What ever happened to Dr. George? Christine Lund? Tricia Toyota? George Putnam?
Charles, like you I have been gone long enough not to know. I think but could be wrong, George Putnam died, don't know about Dr George and chistine Lund is around someplace. As for Tricia Toyota, no idea. I am sure someone will fill you in. I take it back, guess George is still alive.
Nita

Old 06-12-2009, 07:34 PM

7,847 posts, read 9,378,555 times
IIRC - Tricia Toyota came up here to the Bay Area, late 80s or early 90s, for a short while (must have followed me up here, what a stalker, LOL!).

Sad news indeed about Hal.

Everything / everyone I remember from So Cal during the 80s is slowly fading away ...

Johnny Mountain still on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California