Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times

Advertisements

SSI benefits for the elderly and disabled will be cut for California residents beginning next month. The benefits will be reduced from $907 to $870 per month, basically negating the federal Social Security cost of living increase the disabled received January 1st.

So basically, California is stealing the increase provided by the federal government. The increase wasn't provided by California at all, yet they are stealing this money from the disabled.

What a disgrace.

http://www.mercurynews.com/topstories/ci_11684781
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 06:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
SSI benefits for the elderly and disabled will be cut for California residents beginning next month. The benefits will be reduced from $907 to $870 per month, basically negating the federal Social Security cost of living increase the disabled received January 1st.

So basically, California is stealing the increase provided by the federal government. The increase wasn't provided by California at all, yet they are stealing this money from the disabled.

What a disgrace.
Slow down, NTC. The state has no say over the SSI benefits. However, for decades it has been adding to them through a wholly state funded benefit called the State Supplementary Program or SSP. It's the latter that may be or will be cut because the state can no longer afford the largesse it's been providing for years.

The state is "stealing" nothing. It's simply readjusting during a recession. What a strange concept -- to tighten its belt!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Sure it is, it didn't increase the State Supplementary Program for the past couple of years, and the reduced amount equals the increase in federal SSI this past January.

Other states which don't provide a supplemental benefit provide other benefits such as food stamps and utility credits in lieu of these cash payments. California provides neither.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Sure it is, it didn't increase the State Supplementary Program for the past couple of years, and the reduced amount equals the increase in federal SSI this past January.

Other states which don't provide a supplemental benefit provide other benefits such as food stamps and utility credits in lieu of these cash payments. California provides neither.
So what part of "Multi-Billion $ Deficit" are you having trouble wrapping your mind around? By the same token, how much of your income are you willing to do without so others who have little or none can enjoy the fruits of your labors?

As a recently retired state senior manager with 25 years of service I've been through more than my fair share of furloughs, stagnant wages and take-aways. Pardon me if I intend to enjoy what I've worked hard for, as does my also retired wife, and won't feel guilty one bit taking our dollars and investments to another state in order to maximize them.

Amazingly enough, we have a total of seven adult children, all of whom are gainfully employed and independent of government handouts. And I'm a wacked-out '60s and '70s vet who managed to maintain and advance in a decent career. What a concept.

Sorry, NTC. I spent most of my career in the health and human services arena, as did my wife, but the reality is that the state is out of money. Look to the Legislature, not the "State" for the current financial ills. Then look to those who keep re-electing the same, profligate "representatives" session after session. Here's a prime example for you. Cedillo reports that his campaign donors bankroll lavish meals, travel and shopping - Los Angeles Times

PS. Food stamps are also a federal benefit, not a state one.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Employer implemented 10% across the board cuts and benefit reductions initiated in 2008 are now permanent.

Nobody likes cut or reductions... at least we are all in this together for the most part.... just about everyone I know is being asked to do with less.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Employer implemented 10% across the board cuts and benefit reductions initiated in 2008 are now permanent.

Nobody likes cut or reductions... at least we are all in this together for the most part.... just about everyone I know is being asked to do with less.
You have that right. Perhaps it's not such a bad thing.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Reduction of $37 per month is a reduction of 16% for the handicapped folks, on a base of $233.

The California program precludes participation in the federal food stamp program:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/11125.html

Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Reduction of $37 per month is a reduction of 16% for the handicapped folks, on a base of $233.
Yes. And it's lamentable. What's the alternative? Everyone's feeling the pinch. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes. And it's lamentable. What's the alternative? Everyone's feeling the pinch. The line has to be drawn somewhere.
They basically took the federal increase, the amount of payment increase from January 1st of this year. The state did not increase their share, so what they basically did was take the 2009 federal increase from the SSI recipients.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

sorry, I have to agree with Curmudgeon, the state is not actually taking away any part of the federal SS raises we got last year. If they cut your supplementary payments, that has nothing to do with our federal increases. You can still apply for food stamps if you are living or trying to live on $800 plus a month. I take it you are alone.

Obviously for those of us who are trying to makes ends meet on small retirements, only SS or whatever times are rally tough, but others have said it best: they worked hard for their money, worked for companies that offered retirement programs and are not living on SS alone. If you are, of course it hurts. Truthfully, if all you have is your SS money Ca certainly isn't the place to be living.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California