U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 PM

71,717 posts, read 83,329,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I imagine there are a few million of us Californians who not only do not live in fear, but feel no need to live in fear. The Conservative psychological operant is fear, that is why conservatives are conservatives, fortunately most people are not driven by fear.

The "of course" would be the response of someone who has to justify their moving to some eastern state.
who moved from CA to an eastern State? Last time I checked MO was certainly not an eastern state.

Say what you want: of course you can leave your doors unlocked in Ca as well as other places without having anything stolen, but we all know (if you are realistic) states like Ca are not as safe as the mid west. You can show the stats for MO like you did, 90% of those crimes are in St Louis (which is not the best or nicest place in the country) or Kansas City.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,394,077 times

Old 06-19-2011, 03:33 PM

16,428 posts, read 22,287,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I left my garage door open until I went to bed last night (I was working out front and forgot it). It was 1 AM and I had a funny feeling I should check it. Sure enough, it was wide open with all my tools and stored stuffed still intact. That's about the fifth or sixth time I've done that (left it open all night once) in the couple years I've owned this house and I've never lost a thing. This is a row house out in the Sunset District. I'm a San Francisco native who has parked on the street for decades. I keep my car empty of visible items and have had a car broken into exactly one time in all those years (I forgot to remove an aftermarket stereo faceplate one night). I have never had an apartment or house burglarized. I've also never been the victim of a physical crime (although being a 6'4" male probably helped ). Basically, it is possible to live in urban areas of California and survive relatively unscathed from crime. Maybe I'm extremely lucky, I'm sure Curmudgeon will say so.

Funny warning sign though.
I can sort of do that now living in Chula Vista. Most of the time, my girlfriend forgets to even lock our car and we've had musical instruments just sitting in there a few times. Don't think I'd've tried this living in SD proper but where I am now, everyone seems to be like that. If there are two cities I would not do this in in the state are SD proper and in Berkeley. Both cities seem to have a lot of car break ins.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:43 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,008,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I can sort of do that now living in Chula Vista. Most of the time, my girlfriend forgets to even lock our car and we've had musical instruments just sitting in there a few times. Don't think I'd've tried this living in SD proper but where I am now, everyone seems to be like that. If there are two cities I would not do this in in the state are SD proper and in Berkeley. Both cities seem to have a lot of car break ins.
I'm sure if I wasn't out in the west side of town it would be a different story. Its pretty sedate a few blocks from Stern Grove and there's no commercial street near me. If I were in The Mission or The Haight I'm sure I wouldn't be living such a quiet life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
We always like jumping the train and spending the day in the City, such a great place and you are lucky to live there.
My family that have moved long ago to Pleasanton, Walnut Creek and Chico think I'm nuts to hang on here. Keep telling them someone's got to hold down the fort until they come to their senses.

Last edited by jeffredo; 06-19-2011 at 03:51 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 03:55 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,636,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
who moved from CA to an eastern State? Last time I checked MO was certainly not an eastern state.
Nevada is an eastern state. Missouri is way the hell and gone back east.

Yep, My wife is going back East next week, to Reno.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:22 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,394,077 times
It's alright Nita. If I walk out my front door, turn right and take a step, theoretically I've "moved" East. But like you, I'd still be in the South-Central part of the country so there's no point there.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,447,418 times
Quote:
I imagine there are a few million of us Californians who not only do not live in fear, but feel no need to live in fear. The Conservative psychological operant is fear, that is why conservatives are conservatives, fortunately most people are not driven by fear.

The "of course" would be the response of someone who has to justify their moving to some eastern state.

I'm confussed with all the negatives????

Does that make it positive so, for example, crime stats are just made up by those who not only do not live in fear but feel no need to live fear logic????

Regardless, San Francisco is a totally fantastic so enjoy life driven by (a healthy) fear or not!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,636,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I'm confussed with all the negatives????

Does that make it positive so, for example, crime stats are just made up by those who not only do not live in fear but feel no need to live fear logic????

Regardless, San Francisco is a totally fantastic so enjoy life driven by (a healthy) fear or not!
Most people live their lives without undue worrying or fear of "the other". If the rate of burglary in California is 1,700 per 100,000 then the rate of note getting burglarized is 98,300 per 100,000. The chance of getting burgled or being the victim of crime is statistically insignificant. Yet, there are those in this country who carry weapons, have weapons in their homes, deadbolts, car alarms, doberman pinschers, etc.

Generally these people are of the Conservative persuasion, these are also the people who see illegal aliens and muslims and frenchmen and anyone that can be classified as "other', as existential threats to America (I made up the part about the frenchmen). It is the reason why when someone asks if a town is "safe" in truth, they are asking if there is a high percentage of hispanics or blacks, or laotians or hmongs or whatever. It is the reason for the questions of Obamas's citizenship. Barack Obama sure does not sound like the standard north European origin of all our other Presidents, that creates fear.

Fear is the driving force in their lives, not hope, not love, not having fun, but fear. I have always found that sad.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,839,604 times
Quote:
Nevada is an eastern state. Missouri is way the hell and gone back east.

Yep, My wife is going back East next week, to Reno.

When we in Los Angeles go to Reno, we head west. (Look at a map.)

Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,882,178 times
Quote:
Most people live their lives without undue worrying or fear of "the other". If the rate of burglary in California is 1,700 per 100,000 then the rate of note getting burglarized is 98,300 per 100,000. The chance of getting burgled or being the victim of crime is statistically insignificant. Yet, there are those in this country who carry weapons, have weapons in their homes, deadbolts, car alarms, doberman pinschers, etc.

Generally these people are of the Conservative persuasion, these are also the people who see illegal aliens and muslims and frenchmen and anyone that can be classified as "other', as existential threats to America (I made up the part about the frenchmen). It is the reason why when someone asks if a town is "safe" in truth, they are asking if there is a high percentage of hispanics or blacks, or laotians or hmongs or whatever. It is the reason for the questions of Obamas's citizenship. Barack Obama sure does not sound like the standard north European origin of all our other Presidents, that creates fear.

Fear is the driving force in their lives, not hope, not love, not having fun, but fear. I have always found that sad.

I never knew using a door lock could carrying so much weight ..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or