U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,371,200 times

Advertisements

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251143_232816106744123_100000472053719_1018726_636 1606_n.jpg (broken link)

And, yes, it's also applicable to other places around the country as well. But it certainly typifies some of our Sacramento experiences before we left and that's my frame of reference and personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,629,887 times
Interesting to note that in Missouri larceny and theft runs
about 2,500+ per thousand
In California about 1,700+ per thousand

mmm

Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,661,426 times
Getting your **** stolen from you in a big city. Imagine that. I'd have never made the connection.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 AM

Oh, I make the connection just fine. Friday we were in the closest city whose population is now swollen by tourists ans seasonal workers flooding the service occupations. We bought some outdoor furniture for our rear patio and front deck. It all wouldn't fit inside the car so I had to fit chairs and some other items as best I could in the trunk, bungee it in and the lid down as far as it would go to hold it. We then made three more stops for other shopping, leaving the car in the store parking lots with all this nice stuff just there for the taking. At no time were we the least bit concerned. Nor are we concerned about waking up one morning and finding our furniture, grill, etc. gone overnight.

Now then, I decidedly wouldn't risk this in St. Louis. Kansas City, Springfield, etc. But in CA I'm not sure I'd risk it in a rural setting, either, despite "dire" statistics based upon the population centers here in MO. which have no correlation with rural Ozarks or the bulk of the land mass and are, therefore, rather meaningless in this context.. Where we are, privacy fences are almost totally absent so things sit in the open and are there the next morning. It's a comfort factor.

All the rhetoric aside, I still think the sign's funny!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Here in California, we have no idea where our house keys are, our house is never locked, garage door is seldom down, generally only when the dust from plowing blows in, the barn is never locked, the gate is only closed on halloween, and our vehicle keys are in the ignition, there is a fortune in tractors, plows, seeders, pipe, all fenced and ungated.

Never a problem.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Here in California, we have no idea where our house keys are, our house is never locked, garage door is seldom down, generally only when the dust from plowing blows in, the barn is never locked, the gate is only closed on halloween, and our vehicle keys are in the ignition, there is a fortune in tractors, plows, seeders, pipe, all fenced and ungated.

Never a problem.
Of course.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:57 PM

30,513 posts, read 33,322,731 times
Actually, I'm in the Bay Area and I used to never lock my front door and I would leave the back slider open in nice weather for the cats to come in and out. The only reason I don't do it now is because there were two incidents of theft in my neighborhood which they tracked to a local boy who would wander around and look for opportunities. He wandered into a house where someone was actually home and ran away. It just got me thinking since I'm alone most of the time it's best to keep things locked and not tempt fate, you never know how some idiot will react when confronted like that.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,004,947 times
I left my garage door open until I went to bed last night (I was working out front and forgot it). It was 1 AM and I had a funny feeling I should check it. Sure enough, it was wide open with all my tools and stored stuffed still intact. That's about the fifth or sixth time I've done that (left it open all night once) in the couple years I've owned this house and I've never lost a thing. This is a row house out in the Sunset District. I'm a San Francisco native who has parked on the street for decades. I keep my car empty of visible items and have had a car broken into exactly one time in all those years (I forgot to remove an aftermarket stereo faceplate one night). I have never had an apartment or house burglarized. I've also never been the victim of a physical crime (although being a 6'4" male probably helped ). Basically, it is possible to live in urban areas of California and survive relatively unscathed from crime. Maybe I'm extremely lucky, I'm sure Curmudgeon will say so.

Funny warning sign though.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:20 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,440,760 times
I live in a condo complex in San Jose and we have people from other areas coming through during the day, and of course at night, looking to break into units. One of my neighbors had all parts removed from her air conditioner, another just a Christmas wreath, another young mother went for her kitchen knife when a man was attempting to break in. Cars parked on the street are often vandalized so we keep ours in the garage with the door down as I can't rely on the cat for much protection. This just isn't the America I grew up in.

Ceece, was that the story that made the news when the victim used her cell phone to make a movie of the guy before he sexually assulted her?

Jeffredo, we hear a lot of stories on the news about the district, but I have a friend who lives on 17th St., as I recall, but never seems to have a problem. You are right, 6'4 probably helps. We always like jumping the train and spending the day in the City, such a great place and you are lucky to live there.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Never a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Of course.
I imagine there are a few million of us Californians who not only do not live in fear, but feel no need to live in fear. The Conservative psychological operant is fear, that is why conservatives are conservatives, fortunately most people are not driven by fear.

The "of course" would be the response of someone who has to justify their moving to some eastern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or