U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is doing worse financially, the CA State Govt or the US Fed Govt?
The US Govt is worse off 8 44.44%
the CA State Govt is worse off 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 PM

16,134 posts, read 20,762,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
California is worse off, for one reason: Unlike the U.S. government, California cannot print money.
But California has the guts to raise revenue rather than give tax breaks to the Aristocracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,938,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But then why isnt the fed printing money fast and furious to close their $14 Trillion Debt?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Printing money can be a dangerous thing. Brazil tried that and inflation went into orbit. Printing more and more money causes it's value to drop.

We really need to create more jobs. The news I watched a couple of days ago said that many companies are doing better and making more money. They're just not spending it hiring new employees.
Many companies are improving profits by cutting costs in for form of layoffs, cutting wadges, benefits, consolidation, closing facilities ... etc.

And yes, the capital they do have is not being spent because of government anti-business policies and regulations ...

Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 PM

16,422 posts, read 22,270,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Many companies are improving profits by cutting costs in for form of layoffs, cutting wadges, benefits, consolidation, closing facilities ... etc.

And yes, the capital they do have is not being spent because of government anti-business policies and regulations ...
You mean the US government? Because the report I watched wasn't singling out Ca. It was the US as a whole economy.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,005,512 times
Proportionally the US govt is much worse off.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You mean the US government? Because the report I watched wasn't singling out Ca. It was the US as a whole economy.
Its both the federal and states. California has been rated by several sources as one of the most anti-business states in the country. This is why companies are leaving.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Its both the federal and states. California has been rated by several sources as one of the most anti-business states in the country. This is why companies are leaving.
I understand that argument you frequently make but that has nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 PM

I would say the state is worse off than the federal government, especially from a citizen's perspective. When our economy collapses the federal government will not have the money or resources to help all of the states. The states will be on their own to care for all the homeless people and at the same time defend against the riots and widespread crime. You will not see much of the federal government stepping in unless the borders are overrun or we are attacked militarily.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,880,636 times
One thing you will note about joblessness is :
> Technology
> Productivity increases as a result of technological progress

If anything, this is the #1 job killer. This job killer is a blessing actually if it weren't for our idiot structure of life .. If it weren't for the promotion of a wreckless, baseless, and idiotic popular culture.. Promoted by the media machine from Hollywood.

Housing should be cheaper.. food should be cheaper... the basic necessities cheaper and society working less.. more robots doing mass production .. govt should have focused on :
> Infrastructure
> Network infrastructure
> Better education
> More usage of technology to reduce the cost of govt.
> Less govt.
> promotion of healthy lifestyles and living

We are doing almost the exact opposite and it is reflected in the broader health of the nation.
You create these idiotic environments of living : NY/CA .. other high cost/high tax areas and what you are getting a lot lately are gimmicks and idiocy instead of innovation and positive things for society.. You create artificial competition and people come up w/ any sort of venture and scam to d*ck over their neighbor to get ahead.. you thereby get a small group of winners and large group of losers and that's exactly what CA and the nation has become.

I don't see the light at the end of this tunnel as it has been in the making for too many years and the momentum to strong. People like to say, oh you can't compare x to y.. But hey, look at Greece and the EU .. that's the U.S in due time IMO.. and all the bailouts in the world aren't gonna put humpty dumpty back together again because there are structural problems that need to be addressed.. and that goes beyond dollars and cents.

I have my allocations in energy/rare earth metals/REITS/dividend stocks and have a boat load of cash sidelined in case all hell breaks loose to short (bet the market will go down). The prepared don't live in fear IMO .. Inflation hits.. I win .. Markets eat dirt. I win. In general, I don't see California fairing the best out of the 50 states.. so hey, for me, i project 2012 to be the 'acknowledged' double dip and I don't want to be in CA when that starts to unwind.. I want to be some place w/ less taxes.. less cost of living .. more rights... more freedoms and less govt as those are the places IMO who will be best suited for growth/stability if troubled times hit.

The U.S as a whole will be fine IMO .. states though, as someone alluded will be on their own.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
One thing you will note about joblessness is :
> Technology
> Productivity increases as a result of technological progress

If anything, this is the #1 job killer. This job killer is a blessing actually if it weren't for our idiot structure of life .. If it weren't for the promotion of a wreckless, baseless, and idiotic popular culture.. Promoted by the media machine from Hollywood.

Housing should be cheaper.. food should be cheaper... the basic necessities cheaper and society working less.. more robots doing mass production .. govt should have focused on :
> Infrastructure
> Network infrastructure
> Better education
> More usage of technology to reduce the cost of govt.
> Less govt.
> promotion of healthy lifestyles and living

We are doing almost the exact opposite and it is reflected in the broader health of the nation.
You create these idiotic environments of living : NY/CA .. other high cost/high tax areas and what you are getting a lot lately are gimmicks and idiocy instead of innovation and positive things for society.. You create artificial competition and people come up w/ any sort of venture and scam to d*ck over their neighbor to get ahead.. you thereby get a small group of winners and large group of losers and that's exactly what CA and the nation has become.

I don't see the light at the end of this tunnel as it has been in the making for too many years and the momentum to strong. People like to say, oh you can't compare x to y.. But hey, look at Greece and the EU .. that's the U.S in due time IMO.. and all the bailouts in the world aren't gonna put humpty dumpty back together again because there are structural problems that need to be addressed.. and that goes beyond dollars and cents.

The U.S as a whole will be fine IMO .. states though, as someone alluded will be on their own.
Sadly, I think every single word of this is true and the reality of it is becoming more and more apparent. Each generation is further behind the one that preceded it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or