U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,278,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Well, if you take a look at the area north of metro Sacramento, drawing a straight line across the state, there is an area somewhat larger than the entire state of Ohio. This area has only about a million people.
Have to wonder if there are even that many. If we exclude Sacramento and Santa Rosa and consider places to the north, no large metro areas, as the OP mentioned. Redding and its surrounding communities would be the largest, followed by Chico and the Butte County towns, and then Eureka and Humboldt County. After that scores of smaller towns. Would be quite a project to tally up the population of NorCal, interesting to see if we could come up with a million folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,654,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Have to wonder if there are even that many. If we exclude Sacramento and Santa Rosa and consider places to the north, no large metro areas, as the OP mentioned. Redding and its surrounding communities would be the largest, followed by Chico and the Butte County towns, and then Eureka and Humboldt County. After that scores of smaller towns. Would be quite a project to tally up the population of NorCal, interesting to see if we could come up with a million folks.

Pretty easy to do, I will start, pop of
Butte County, 220,000
Lassen County, 34,000

Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 AM

32,343 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Why does there have to be a major city up there?

Isnt it refreshing that at least one major portion of the state isnt overrun by a large urban agglomeration?

I think the reason is that the major industries up there(logging, fishing?) are not high growth industries and don't require a lot of new people.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,763,091 times
Default I can't believe it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonmoving1 View Post
it's good point, but why isn't it?? You know, california coast is under-populated (compare it to florida coast). My guess in 100 years it will look different, much different.

You must be very young! I'm a native northern Californian born in 1945 my husband is 5th generation Californians (Chico-Northern Calif). We left the state because it got so populated and live in Texas. (We also lived in Florida). California, to us has become so full of cars and people we are disgusted. The San Francisco Bay area is stuffed to the rafters with people from SF thru Mt. View, Palo Alto, all the way down to San Jose. You can barely move around. LA is a nightmare of people. Finally the last bastion of open air, fields, farms and "our" California was the central valley and Sacramento. Now it looks like the Bay area. You can't tell where one town ends and the next begins. Wow.....I cannot believe anyone would think Calif. any of it...is underpopulated.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,763,091 times
Default SOOO Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post

That much of Calif has been preserved for farm land. Unfortunately the extreme beauty of northern Calif and the fantastic weather, and the glorius landscape has also made it too expensive. Everyone wishes they could live there. I know I would love to come home, we just can't afford it anymore. It certainly isn't cheap enough to retire there.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 AM

2,209 posts, read 3,615,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Finally the last bastion of open air, fields, farms and "our" California was the central valley and Sacramento. Now it looks like the Bay area. You can't tell where one town ends and the next begins.
Huh? You must be kidding.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:18 AM

2,723 posts, read 3,770,042 times
I would also consider the Bay Area and Sacramento as "NorCal," and as such, there are many major cities in NorCal. There aren't any north of those parts, but then again, there aren't any south of there either, until you hit LA. Fresno and Bakersfield are as big as Anchorage, AK, but I don't consider that major. In Oregon, Portland is the only major city in the whole state. In Washington, Seattle is the only major city in the whole state. In Nevada, there are only two major cities, and in Utah, there is only one. The distance between metro areas is not at all unique to Northern California, but rather to the west as a whole.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 AM

841 posts, read 1,083,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonmoving1 View Post
yes, that was my original question, can you comment on that? Some people love Brookings here in Portland...if you can love a place like Brookings...certainly you can love a place further south!
Mainly because, with the possible exception of Eureka, there's no really good place for a harbor between S.F. and Portland. The key point is that cities don't occur where people like to live. They occur where people have to live because that's where the economic opportunities are. Places where cargo has to change mode of transportation is, historically, one such kind of place. That's why just about everywhere in the world a seaport gives rise to a major city.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,278,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
In Washington, Seattle is the only major city in the whole state.
If any Spokane residents see this post might get a dispute or two. At nearly a quarter of a million, way over that if taking in the surrounding communities, Spokane certainly could be considered a major city by many.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:26 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
Lack of infrastructure, full stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or