U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-01-2011, 08:37 AM
 
8,837 posts, read 2,678,136 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Where in "NorCal" Alturas? Weed? Weaverville? Susanville? Anderson? or are you confusing the Bay area with North California?

I find it odd that there are those who apparently missed Econ 101. Housing prices like most prices are subject to the same laws of supply and demand as most products.

High supply, low demand, low price
High demand, low supply, high price.

It is basic economics that if housing prices are low it is because either the supply is high, or....... few people find the area attractive.

It is basic economics that if housing prices are high it is because either the supply is low, or....... people find the area attractive.

There is no mystery.
I'm confusing nothing. Having lived in CA from 1984, from SoCal to NorCal, I think I have a pretty good idea of housing prices.

I believe we were discussing the fact that you made the assumption that you could buy a home in CA for the same as in TX. You are wrong. Now, you're discussing supply and demand?

Please show me an example of 2 comparables, and we can continue this discussion.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,258 posts, read 10,009,363 times
Reputation: 4009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I personally would not want to live in the Central Valley or the Inland Empire. In Texas you don't have to live in an undesirable location to be able to afford a house.
Sure you do, because most of the state of Texas is an undesirable location. The Central Valley, Inland Empire, etc are only "undesirable" in relation to the coastal communities of California, compared to the nation as a whole these areas aren't bad at all.

Anyhow, in terms of homes, here are homes in in the $100k range in a decent community in the IE:

15119 Brown Ln Victorville CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #S632237 - Realtor.com®
11555 Maywood St Victorville CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #I10063002 - Realtor.com®

If you search you'll find that these are in no sense outliers. Also, you can find cheaper homes in other parts of the IE as well. Decent homes in nicer communities in the IE start at around $150k, such as:

39597 Garin Dr Murrieta CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #T10101399 - Realtor.com®

These prices are comparable to similar areas of Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
You can live in the most prime areas of Houston, Dallas and Austin for a hell of a lot less then what you will pay to live in the prime areas of California.
Not really, the prime areas of Dallas, Austin, etc are very expensive just as they are in California. The issue is that there are less "prime area" in Texas, wealthy folks aren't flocking to Texas to buy homes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,258 posts, read 10,009,363 times
Reputation: 4009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There are NO houses comparable in CA to Texas. We just looked at MANY houses in Texas, needing minimal work to make them nice, for around $60,000 to $80,000. Nice neighborhoods, close to a major city. I dare you to find anything remotely similar in CA. It just doesn't happen. I know that first hand.
You're not going to find a home in Texas for $60~$80k in a "nice neighborhood" unless your definition of nice is very low. Link me to such a home and I will find you something similar in California for a similar price. I don't demonstrate much unless I know which areas you are talking about. And note, when I said "Northern California" I'm not talking about the bay area.

Also, I'm not claiming that the prices are identical, prices in Texas tend to be a bit cheaper due to less permitting costs and higher property taxes. What I'm claiming is that there is not a dramatic price difference if you compare apples-to-apples.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,123 posts, read 4,005,712 times
Reputation: 8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Where in "NorCal" Alturas? Weed? Weaverville? Susanville? Anderson? or are you confusing the Bay area with North California?

I find it odd that there are those who apparently missed Econ 101. Housing prices like most prices are subject to the same laws of supply and demand as most products.

High supply, low demand, low price
High demand, low supply, high price.

It is basic economics that if housing prices are low it is because either the supply is high, or....... few people find the area attractive.

It is basic economics that if housing prices are high it is because either the supply is low, or....... people find the area attractive.

There is no mystery.
No one but you is claiming mystery! And your smart ass comment about basic Econ 101 is just plain ignorance on your part...Currently there is a high supply of housing in California and the prices are still high. As this current trend continues the housing supply will grow...looks like more Californians will be living in apartments.

California economy: UCLA forecast of housing shift is bad news for California's economy - Los Angeles Times

http://www.housingbubblebust.com/index.html

Read the Houston model from this link and learn something!

Last edited by TVC15; 07-01-2011 at 01:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,258 posts, read 10,009,363 times
Reputation: 4009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Currently there is a high supply of housing in California and the prices are still high.
Ugh....you're having serious difficulties with the heterogeneity of California. The areas of California with a "high supply of housing" also have rather cheap prices, in many cases below the cost of construction. On the other hand in the expensive coastal markets there is in no sense a high supply of housing, rather the opposite.

The entire state of California is not a local real estate market, the fact that there are plenty of homes in Fresno for sale doesn't help someone in Irvine or San Jose.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,123 posts, read 4,005,712 times
Reputation: 8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Sure you do, because most of the state of Texas is an undesirable location. The Central Valley, Inland Empire, etc are only "undesirable" in relation to the coastal communities of California, compared to the nation as a whole these areas aren't bad at all.

Anyhow, in terms of homes, here are homes in in the $100k range in a decent community in the IE:

15119 Brown Ln Victorville CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #S632237 - Realtor.com®
11555 Maywood St Victorville CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #I10063002 - Realtor.com®

If you search you'll find that these are in no sense outliers. Also, you can find cheaper homes in other parts of the IE as well. Decent homes in nicer communities in the IE start at around $150k, such as:

39597 Garin Dr Murrieta CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #T10101399 - Realtor.com®

These prices are comparable to similar areas of Texas.


Not really, the prime areas of Dallas, Austin, etc are very expensive just as they are in California. The issue is that there are less "prime area" in Texas, wealthy folks aren't flocking to Texas to buy homes.

Again you show me you know nothing about Texas. There are very desirable places to live in all of the major cities in Texas as well as the country parts of Texas. What does wealthy folks flocking anywhere to buy a house contribute to this discussion? This discussion is about housing costs in Texas being so much lower then the housing costs in Calfornia for the prime locations.

I'll be back with my list of houses in desirable places for both states and lets see who gets more for their money!

Last edited by TVC15; 07-01-2011 at 01:44 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,258 posts, read 10,009,363 times
Reputation: 4009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Again you show me you know nothing about Texas. There are very desirable places to live in all of the major cities in Texas as well as the country parts of Texas.

Yawn....I never suggested there weren't "very desirable places" to live in Texas. Instead I suggested that there are far more "prime areas" in California than Texas. But when you say "Prime areas" I'm thinking of places like Malibu, Atherton, Newport Beach, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
What does wealthy folks flocking anywhere to buy a house contribute to this discussion?
It should be obvious, the high number of highly expensive communities in California is directly related to demand from wealthy folks from not only the nation but the entire global. The rich from China, Europe, NY, etc aren't buying homes in Texas. Why would they? Its ugly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Syracuse, New York
1,685 posts, read 713,380 times
Reputation: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Because we all know that people on SSI don't eat, put gas in their cars, or spend any money.
I'm sure they do all of the above. But they aren't going to be able to do enough of those three things to create actual growth in a state economy.

Unless they're cheating the system, of course.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,123 posts, read 4,005,712 times
Reputation: 8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yawn....I never suggested there weren't "very desirable places" to live in Texas. Instead I suggested that there are far more "prime areas" in California than Texas. But when you say "Prime areas" I'm thinking of places like Malibu, Atherton, Newport Beach, etc.


It should be obvious, the high number of highly expensive communities in California is directly related to demand from wealthy folks from not only the nation but the entire global. The rich from China, Europe, NY, etc aren't buying homes in Texas. Why would they? Its ugly.
Just because you think Texas is ugly does not mean it is so. Texas if far from ugly. Look at Modesto and Bakersfield if you want to see ugly.

You know absolutely nothing about Texas in many regards so just keep your head in the clouds and worship California.

I find it amazing your disdain for a state that you know very little about and that you have never lived in...talk about a very narrow mind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Maui County, HI
4,057 posts, read 2,931,788 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Your clueless The Texas Medical Center is a world class health care facility...if you are unaware of that then nothing else coming out of your mouth holds merit.
Do you just not read? I know about the Mod Cut Language health center. I'm saying it's not a reason to live in an unpleasant city. If I'm not going to the hospital frequently, how the hell is it an amenity? Tell me something. If an ER gets built next to your house, does that make the property value go up or down?

Quote:
The ship channel has nothing to do with the city ...you can't be serious It is the Port of Houston and one of the busiest in the US!
Explain to me how that is an amenity to a resident of Houston.

Michigan has a lot of the auto industry, but that doesn't mean it's a nice place to live. Last I checked, goods for and from the entire state go through that port.

Quote:

If you were bored in Houston then you have a serious problem...anyone who is bored in the 4th largest city in the US has got a serious problem.

Clean downtown...have you been to SF and NY and seen how filthy they are? I appreciate how clean downtown Houston is.
I didn't say I was bored. I just hate Houston. It's a giant sprawl, full of dirty strip malls, grime, and the ghettoness typical of Southern cities. The weather is also terrible. If you can stand the gloom, why not just live in the PNW?

Quote:
Yes in Houston I hung out in the Texas Medical Center since I earned a degree from M.D. Anderson and also worked in the Texas Medical Center. BTW when I lived in Austin and worked in healthcare there...I was alarmed at the low standards and lack of modern technology compared to what I experienced in the TMC.
Why don't you live in Houston now if you love it so much?

Quote:
I did not hang out at the ship channel but I rode my motorcycle around it. And hiked through the surrounding forests!

And yes everything else on my list I participated in during my life in Houston and more!

I'm done... your not worth educating if you are this clueless.

You can have your Austin slacker small town that it is.

I'll take the Bay Area for my dose of nature

To summarize Houston is far from being a ghetto!
It sounds like you spent your time in specific areas of Houston, the nice parts, and didn't come close to experiencing the whole city. It's like the people who come to Maui and stay at the resort, and have no idea we have huge swaths of drugs prostitutes and decay. I've lived in Westbury, Westchase, and hung out a decent amount in Montrose and the Rice Village.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-01-2011 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: Language
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top