U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,408,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Just because you think Texas is ugly does not mean it is so. Texas if far from ugly. Look at Modesto and Bakersfield if you want to see ugly.
Most of Texas resembles Modesto and Bakersfield hence why the real estate prices in most of Texas resemble Modesto and Bakersfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,286,692 times
Quote:
No one said it was a utopia

Funny Californians think just because Texas has higher property taxes that you guys make out better when buying a house. Keep in mind you won't pay a million or more dollars for a family house. Even with higher property taxes your money goes further in Texas no matter how you want to slice and dice it.

Wages are lower because the COL is significantly lower. Californian has to pay higher wages to professionals due to the outrageous COL here.

In Texas the weather only sucks in the hottest part of the summer. So here in Northern California I can't go out and enjoy the winter months due to constant rain and cold for 6-7 months. I can really only enjoy 5-6 months of good outside weather here. In Texas you can't enjoy about 6-7 months due to hot weather...but the remaining 5-6 months have great weather.

You guys will never cease to amaze me at how little you really know about Texas.

It sounds like you're remembering what you want to remember. Late fall and winter in Houston/East Texas is dreary, wet, and cold. It might as well be Seattle or Portland.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,286,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Most of Texas resembles Modesto and Bakersfield hence why the real estate prices in most of Texas resemble Modesto and Bakersfield.

The newer suburbs in Texas are probably laid out exactly the same as the ones in California. The areas of Texas cities developed in the 60s-70s are pretty much strip mall sprawl though but I don't see how it's any worse than California. But the Central Texas is as beautiful as anywhere else in the country. I'd love to live there again, but I've concluded that SoCal is just more desirable than Houston and Dallas. Unfortunately most of the oil industry is in Houston.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,670,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Do you just not read? I know about the Mod Cut Language health center. I'm saying it's not a reason to live in an unpleasant city. If I'm not going to the hospital frequently, how the hell is it an amenity? Tell me something. If an ER gets built next to your house, does that make the property value go up or down?

Explain to me how that is an amenity to a resident of Houston.

Michigan has a lot of the auto industry, but that doesn't mean it's a nice place to live. Last I checked, goods for and from the entire state go through that port.

I didn't say I was bored. I just hate Houston. It's a giant sprawl, full of dirty strip malls, grime, and the ghettoness typical of Southern cities. The weather is also terrible. If you can stand the gloom, why not just live in the PNW?

Why don't you live in Houston now if you love it so much?

It sounds like you spent your time in specific areas of Houston, the nice parts, and didn't come close to experiencing the whole city. It's like the people who come to Maui and stay at the resort, and have no idea we have huge swaths of drugs prostitutes and decay. I've lived in Westbury, Westchase, and hung out a decent amount in Montrose and the Rice Village.

Calm down little one! I see you are clueless yet again. Let me share a few definitions with you and hopefully you can put 2 and 2 together.

world-class
ˈwɜrldˈklęs,–adjective
1. ranking among the world's best; outstanding: a world-class orchestra. 2. attracting or comprising world-class players, performers, etc.: a world-class tennis tournament.
Informal . being a notorious example of its kind: a world-class slob.

a·men·i·ty/əˈmenitē/Noun
1. A desirable or useful feature or facility of a building or place.
2. The pleasantness of a place or a person. More »
Wikipedia - Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster

Now educate yourself as to why the TMC is a huge amenity for Houston residents and people studying medicine, medical research scientists, pharmacy, dentistry, nursing etc.

http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/root/en/GetToKnow/AboutTMC/About+the+TMC.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Medical_Center

What do you think the Port of Houston does for the city of Houston...I would say it's pretty useful.

It sounds like you have a very sorry attitude and can't listen or reason with anyone who does not see it as you do.

I have seen every inch of Houston and it's surrounding areas. I have seen it all...the good the bad and the ugly...I know that city like the back of my hand...and it is not a ghetto by any means.

Why don't I live there you ask....I don't live there because I do whatever I want to do with my life and I choose to experience the Bay Area. I did not leave Houston because I hated it. Actually I look forward to my next visit!

Last edited by TVC15; 07-01-2011 at 08:04 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
It sounds like you're remembering what you want to remember. Late fall and winter in Houston/East Texas is dreary, wet, and cold. It might as well be Seattle or Portland.
Sounds like you either have never lived in Houston or have a very bad memory. Winters are very mild and very pleasant!

Play with the weather almanac and eat your words!

Houston, TX Climate

Put in the winter months and my my my how mild they are...your loosing credibility every time you post.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
And you would know because you lived there and have seen most of Texas with your own eyes right?

None of the big cities in Texas resembles Modesto or Bakersfield...not even close!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
And you would know because you lived there and have seen most of Texas with your own eyes right?
I've seen most of Texas with my own eyes.

Quote:
None of the big cities in Texas resembles Modesto or Bakersfield...not even close!
Huh? Firstly, Modesto and Bakersfield aren't major cities so I'm not sure why you'd be comparing them to major cities in Texas. Secondly, when I called Texas ugly I was referring to natural things, not man-made things. Now, Texas is butt-ugly in terms of man-made things as well, but California isn't so great on this end either.

I'd take Bakersfield's weather over Dallas, Houston, etc weather any day though.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I've seen most of Texas with my own eyes.

Huh? Firstly, Modesto and Bakersfield aren't major cities so I'm not sure why you'd be comparing them to major cities in Texas. Secondly, when I called Texas ugly I was referring to natural things, not man-made things. Now, Texas is butt-ugly in terms of man-made things as well, but California isn't so great on this end either.

I'd take Bakersfield's weather over Dallas, Houston, etc weather any day though.
Because major cities are where most people in Texas live and according to you most people in Texas live in the ugly

I don't believe for one second that you have seen most of Texas.

Take it baby! I wouldn't live in Bakersfield for the life of me.

Actually away from the coastal areas alot of California is butt ugly as well

Old 07-01-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Because major cities are where most people in Texas live and according to you most people in Texas live in the ugly
Live in the ugly? Huh? I stated that Texas is ugly, I just explained that I was referring to the natural features of Texas and yet you're still talking about major cities. By the way, most Texans don't live in major cities. They live in suburbs or rural areas.

Quote:
Actually away from the coastal areas alot of California is butt ugly as well
No, not really, perhaps you should see more of the state?

Old 07-02-2011, 12:21 AM

25,959 posts, read 28,359,899 times
Quote:
Californians don't want to be Texans, why is this so difficult to understand?

California is not doing poorly right now because it doesn't have Texas like policies, its doing poorly because it was ground zero for the housing bubble. On the other hand Texas was only mildly effected by the housing bubble and has benefited from the increase in energy costs, not to mention the pick up in manufacturing.

Long-term I'd bet on California, not Texas.

Actually, a big part of the reason that the housing bubble didn't take hold in TX like it did in CA is because TX land use policies are not as strict as California's. Strict land use regulation drives irrational bubble-like behavior. TX also regulated the lending industry more strictly, which prevented most of the insane lending that prevailed in CA & many other states. That is one form or regulation I'm all for.
So, you're contradicting yourself. TX policies are a big part of why their housing prices are more stable (and affordable) than in CA.

I suspect Texas' other economic policies are wiser as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California