U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,397,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You're lucky that you can live that dream coming from a low cost state to a high cost one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:59 AM

9,197 posts, read 13,939,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Isn't that kinda like 'downsizing' from a Lexus to a Kia (while pretending it's a Hyundai)?!
More like stallion to a mule.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:24 PM

444 posts, read 416,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I regret creating this thread in the first place.
Yea you knew what you were doing.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,872,939 times
California is a better state to live off you have millions, Texas is cheaper and offers a better quality of life for the average Joe, just my opinion on the matter. California is the best state to visit still in the country by far, the scenery and weather can't be beat but for living its tough sledding, very expensive place.. the taxes are high. I always wanted to live in California, sad I probably never will.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,240,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You're lucky that you can live that dream coming from a low cost state to a high cost one.
Viewing a good life in California as attributable solely to luck is akin to viewing your home as "housing".

Old 01-13-2015, 02:04 PM

752 posts, read 630,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
Yea you knew what you were doing.
Indeed. But to be fair, this thread was started in 2011 when the picture was muddier and the picture in Texas was getting a lot of positive press. This was also before increasing attention was paid to the difference in the quality and types of jobs too.

Although I don't remember the timeline clearly right now, California did have some early trouble coming out of the recession. I wouldn't mind seeing some newer numbers if anybody's got them; it would save me the trouble of looking them up myself.

---
Just to refresh this thread a bit, the OP's article might not be available online any more and originated from June 2011. The California Tax Foundation has copied the text into a PDF and is hosting it here:
Dan Walters: California vs. Texas provides very stark job comparison [PDF, caltax.org]

In March of 2013, Texas had the largest number of workers working at the Federal minimum wage or less. According to the article, there had been an improving trend from 2011 to 2012 where federal minimum wage workers made up 8% and 7.5% of all workers on hourly wages in Texas.
Source: Texas has nation’s most minimum-wage workers [dallasnews.com]

This newer article from April 2014 says that in 2013, Texans paid Federal minimum wage made up 6.4% of their hourly workers. So they are seeing further improvement. However this article notes that at the same time, the nationwide average was 4.3%. It also provided further numbers that in 2010, 9.5% of all hourly workers were paid Federal minimum wage.
Source: Texas ranks high for number of minimum wage workers [houstonchronicle.com]

So between the two news articles I found, there have been improvements in Texas:
Changes to Percentage of Hourly Workers in Texas, by year
2010 - 9.5%
2011 - 8.0%
2012 - 7.5%
2013 - 6.4% [nationwide = 4.3%]

I made a brief effort to pull some equivalent numbers for California but haven't found them yet. A possible reason they're harder to come by could be because it is more difficult to compile: Several California cities have their own minimum wage laws that are higher than the state minimum wage, which is higher than the Federal minimum wage.

Last edited by DriveNotCommute; 01-13-2015 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Dan Walters op-ed is from June 2011

Old 01-14-2015, 11:36 PM

2,638 posts, read 2,912,223 times
With the price of oil so low, they are now talking massive layoffs in Texas. Not going to take the "low road" and rejoice at their misery (like they did when we were in trouble), but it's interesting how things can do an about-face in such a short period of time.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:32 AM

351 posts, read 444,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
But the notion that square footage is the only measure of happiness and success isn't going to stand up in a California vs. Texas debate--too many other moving parts.

Lifestyles in California vs. Texas are just too different to be so simplistically compared, though. This comes from a native Texan currently living in California.
I know this thread is old, but:

So, from 2007 to 2014, according the the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it appears that Texas and CA each created around 1.4 million jobs. For that time period, Texas average wages went from $44,931 to $43,245 which is around -3.8% and California average wages went from $49,745 to $48,691 or -2.1%. From the Governors offices of both TX and CA, it appears that Texas' Enterprise Fund, for the years 2004-present went from just under $300 million to $60.7 million. California's Compete Tax Credit from around 2013 to present is currently hovering around $200 million, so as its been for the last 10 years, both states are making the fight to woo companies in with the hopes of come positive job creation and wage increases. We'll see who can bring them in in the next coming years.

I was speaking with my friend who is originally from CA, now living in Dallas for nearly 10 years. ALL he every talks about is the cost and square footage of homes here in TX vs. CA and how CA is such a bad to live. I said to him, "well, what about comparison in lifestyle?, I know Texans who have moved to CA and love it & vice-versa." He defers back to the cost of his 1300 sq. ft. home in Los Angeles, and thats IT. No mention of weather, scenery, beaches, entertainment venues, etc. And, he made more money in CA. (all this being said, yet he vacations in CA)

After gathering many opinions from people from all over the U.S. and overseas, I've come to the conclusion that the best place to live is based on your level of comfort in that particular place. Some are willing to pay $ for it, and some are so focused on chasing "$the gold ring$", that having a particular lifestyle doesn't matter much as long as they have a 4,000+ sq. ft home and luxury car in the driveway. Some people feel that the hot & humid summers of Houston are worth it for the cost of living. Some feel that Seattle's grey days/mist are not worth moving away from for the lifestyle they can live in that area.

Its all in a persons perspective on whats important in life.

Last edited by USNomad; 02-06-2015 at 09:14 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 10:47 AM

9,197 posts, read 13,939,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post

I was speaking with my friend who is originally from CA, now living in Dallas for nearly 10 years. ALL he every talks about is the cost and square footage of homes here in TX vs. CA and how CA is such a bad to live. I said to him, "well, what about comparison in lifestyle?, I know Texans who have moved to CA and love it & vice-versa." He defers back to the cost of his 1300 sq. ft. home in Los Angeles, and thats IT. No mention of weather, scenery, beaches, entertainment venues, etc. And, he made more money in CA. (all this being said, yet he vacations in CA)

After gathering many opinions from people from all over the U.S. and overseas, I've come to the conclusion that the best place to live is based on your level of comfort in that particular place. Some are willing to pay $ for it, and some are so focused on chasing "$the gold ring$", that having a particular lifestyle doesn't matter much as long as they have a 4,000+ sq. ft home and luxury car in the driveway. Some people feel that the hot & humid summers of Houston are worth it for the cost of living. Some feel that Seattle's grey days/mist are not worth moving away from for the lifestyle they can live in that area.

Work hard for many years to save up to live in the middle of nowhere, bunkering oneself in a McMansion, emerging to go to work, and the occasional triumphant jaunt to the glorious local WalMart. Or Bass Pro Shop! Partaaaaayy, yo!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:07 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,611,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
I know this thread is old, but:

So, from 2007 to 2014, according the the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it appears that Texas and CA each created around 1.4 million jobs. For that time period, Texas average wages went from $44,931 to $43,245 which is around -3.8% and California average wages went from $49,745 to $48,691 or -2.1%. From the Governors offices of both TX and CA, it appears that Texas' Enterprise Fund, for the years 2004-present went from just under $300 million to $60.7 million. California's Compete Tax Credit from around 2013 to present is currently hovering around $200 million, so as its been for the last 10 years, both states are making the fight to woo companies in with the hopes of come positive job creation and wage increases. We'll see who can bring them in in the next coming years.

A lot of Californians are more interested what is outside their front door than inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California