U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 AM

32,331 posts, read 55,131,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
They are not. If you would read my original post, I highlighted a quote in bold. My statement above was made in sarcasm, a criticism of the state gov't and governor not placing a higher priority on improving out state economy.
Unfortunately our state legislators are too bogged down in partisan bickering to get the point that our state's future is being HINDERED by their lack of foresight when it comes to making the business environment more condusive for employers and businesses.

And to be honest, I feel the state GOP along with many Republicans in California actually WANT the state to go down just so they can gloat.

Its really quite disgusting. The party of NO will ultimately get their comeuppance at the ballot box and the trends of state elections of late confirm that.

That much I get and totally agree with.

On the other hand, the media's overblown coverage of the state budget impasse has not stopped California businesses from creating millions of jobs over the years.

Imagine if the state govt actually had a positive effect on job creation.

California would be unstoppable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:32 AM

2,093 posts, read 3,934,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Unfortunately our state legislators are too bogged down in partisan bickering to get the point that our state's future is being HINDERED by their lack of foresight when it comes to making the business environment more condusive for employers and businesses.

And to be honest, I feel the state GOP along with many Republicans in California actually WANT the state to go down just so they can gloat.

Its really quite disgusting. The party of NO will ultimately get their comeuppance at the ballot box and the trends of state elections of late confirm that.

That much I get and totally agree with.

On the other hand, the media's overblown coverage of the state budget impasse has not stopped California businesses from creating millions of jobs over the years.

Imagine if the state govt actually had a positive effect on job creation.

California would be unstoppable.
Bingo.

My frustration has a lot to do with the do-nothings in the state capitol from both sides of the fence. If the legislators would focus on helping improve our state economy, that would produce more jobs for every Californians who desperately needed. But they are too embroiled in the partisan bickering and scoring political points for their next election.

Note that I never said California should be anything like Texas, but they should notice that other states are starting to come out of the recession with some steam. It's rather embarrassing that California is lagging behind.

And historically, our country has always succeeded when there is bipartisanship.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,347,387 times
Quote:
I get it. When it comes to criticism about our state, it's a tough pill to swallow.
No, not saying that. Criticize all you want but why bring up Texas constantly? Perhaps it would be less distracting if we did. I love Ca. but have done my fair share of griping about it too.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No, not saying that. Criticize all you want but why bring up Texas constantly? Perhaps it would be less distracting if we did. I love Ca. but have done my fair share of griping about it too.
I don't constantly bring up Texas. But when I have, there's a hint of jealousy that goes along with it. One has to admit that Texas is doing something right to get themselves above the national rates in job creation. I have no doubt that other Californians want that as badly as I do.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Bingo.

My frustration has a lot to do with the do-nothings in the state capitol from both sides of the fence. If the legislators would focus on helping improve our state economy, that would produce more jobs for every Californians who desperately needed. But they are too embroiled in the partisan bickering and scoring political points for their next election.

Note that I never said California should be anything like Texas, but they should notice that other states are starting to come out of the recession with some steam. It's rather embarrassing that California is lagging behind.

And historically, our country has always succeeded when there is bipartisanship.
From bickering to repping +1

No I'm not bipolar I just give credit where it's due

Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,777,659 times
Quote:
Very good post...for the Texas forum!
Sometimes the truth hurts.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I don't constantly bring up Texas. But when I have, there's a hint of jealousy that goes along with it. One has to admit that Texas is doing something right to get themselves above the national rates in job creation. I have no doubt that other Californians want that as badly as I do.
Yes we do. However, Texas has a model that works for it because it's a different state. We need to find a model that works for us. One that fits us for the unique state we are just like Texas found a way for them. They didn't copy another state. I believe North Dakota is doing quite well too and they have a system that works for them. We can't be Texas, we have to be California. As you mentioned, getting rid of the do nothings is where we need to start. That's our problem in our state.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,814,828 times
Why do people in Texas think anyone cares. If they want to be in Texas that's fine FOR THEM. Every Day more Texans trying to compare it with California. It's just sad.

I'll go out to I-10 and see if there is a mass migration from California

Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Sometimes the truth hurts.
shhhhh go back to sleep

Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yes we do. However, Texas has a model that works for it because it's a different state. We need to find a model that works for us. One that fits us for the unique state we are just like Texas found a way for them. They didn't copy another state. I believe North Dakota is doing quite well too and they have a system that works for them. We can't be Texas, we have to be California. As you mentioned, getting rid of the do nothings is where we need to start. That's our problem in our state.

Good points. You might be interested in reading articles written by Fareed Zakaria who proposes solutions to get America's economy back on track. A lot of my opinions of late is based on his writings. Here are several worth checking out:

TIME: Fareed Zakaria

WP: Fareed Zakaria

I suggest following this guy. He isn't a liberal or conservative -- but he is very objective and this guy actually proposes solutions. He makes politicians look silly.

Happy reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California