U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:10 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,073,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
You are an oddity. Most landlords raise rents at least annually, some even more often. In one place I lived, the rents were raised three times in a year. So much for Prop 13 passing on to renters.
When I managed a lot of residential for others with a good portion under Section 8 the rents automatically increased a minimum of whatever the CPI index... some owners were always pushing for more and in apartments... turnover is expected and a good manager will always have a list of prospects... much easier to get someone in at a 30 unit building than a single family home...

I am glad to mostly have single family homes now
... a single family often takes more time to turn... move outs seldom go as scheduled and many must give 30 day notice before moving in unless they are willing to pay rent simultaneously at two units...

It's like Prop 13... those that stay get the benefit of stability... when a unit is vacant it will go back to market... the recent unit rented last week had been at $950 for 5 years and now is at $1375...

I think of it as an incentive... tell renters right up front they do not have to worry about rent increases each anniversary provided their golden tenants... without good tenants being a landlord is a losing proposition...

California is hiring and I'm meeting transplants all the time looking for housing here in the Bay Area... anyone just has to realize how much longer the commute is these days to realize the workforce here is expanding.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-16-2015 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,739,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Now then, come up with current stats. And run a compensatory analysis to adjust for the ease of starting a small business in a place - like Texas, currently - that is experiencing a huge and rapid increase in population, which always supports new business - compared to a place like California where, regardless of how strong its economy, population growth is modest.

Too much strain for your brain?
My God man. Are you seriously brain damaged or do you just not read? How many links do I have to post showing CA being ranked DEAD LAST or with an F RATING for states to own a business big or small in? Yet you staunchly argue with PROFESSIONALS in the field and their reports, like you know more then they do? LOL!! How many ways do you have to be shown that CA is THE WORST STATE TO OWN A SMALL BUSINESS IN? Oh, and Texas is always at or near the top of the list for best states. READ.

These Are The Best And Worst US States For Small Business - Business Insider
The Best (and Worst) States and Cities to Own a Small Business
United States Small Business Friendliness Survey - Thumbtack
2014 Best & Worst States For Business | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive magazine
Most and Least Tax-Friendly States for Business - 24/7 Wall St.
The Best and Worst States for Small Business

Old 02-17-2015, 12:29 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,412,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Every property owner in California benefits from Prop 13... EVERY ONE

Prop 13 applies equally to all property subject to property tax... nothing more or less.
The fact that prop 13 applies to all property doesn't mean its a fair and good tax policy...its not. Not everyone benefits, prop 13 allows for disproportionate tax rates within a given community. That is, some property owners will be subsidizing other property owners.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:00 AM

The tax rate is exactly the same... you can look at my bill as a new owner and that of neighbor that bought 30 years ago... the RATE is exactly the same.

The only difference is the cost basis... I paid 6 times what they paid and my taxes are almost 6 times as much... fair to me... anything else is meddling

Now if you want to talk about fair... why is it a home built 25 years ago may only require a 5000 foot lot and the same area today requires a 5 acre minimum... this is the classic case of I have mine and to heck with everyone else.

Zoning has done more to manipulate values than anything else...

Prop 13 is here to stay and only came about because people were desperate and the legislature gave the voters the finger...

What could be more fair than a tax based on acquisition price.... seems to work well for EVERYTHING else...

I will never support a return to the turmoil, corruption and property tax roulette of the pre-Prop 13 era.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-17-2015 at 01:09 AM..

Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 AM

12,684 posts, read 7,431,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
My God man. Are you seriously brain damaged or do you just not read? How many links do I have to post showing CA being ranked DEAD LAST or with an F RATING for states to own a business big or small in? Yet you staunchly argue with PROFESSIONALS in the field and their reports, like you know more then they do? LOL!! How many ways do you have to be shown that CA is THE WORST STATE TO OWN A SMALL BUSINESS IN? Oh, and Texas is always at or near the top of the list for best states. READ.

2014 Best & Worst States For Business | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive magazine
Mbell. Speaking of not reading/comprehending: I did not respond to your opinion of rankings for "best" / "worst". I responded to your statement that the rate of small business failure in California is extraordinarily high. I don't know that it is, or isn't - and didn't argue so - but I suspect it follows the average nationally pretty much.

Here's what you originally wrote and what I responded to:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75
I can guarantee you more small businesses survive and thrive in TX than CA.
And what I challenged you to do was provide some proof for your claim. Which you still haven't done.

Find us a credible statistic showing California small business failures are significantly higher than other places. I would be interested to see.

Don't do as OldTrader: provide a short-term glimpse of the wreckage of the recent recession. Show us a normal trend over non-catastrophic time frames.

You have a consistent habit of making "statements of fact", um, that aren't "fact". Verify your claim for us.

Don't tell us how "unpopular" California is in rankings. Tell us about "failures". Perhaps you are on to something. Perhaps not. But simply spewing your opinion without backing it up doesn't cut it.

Speaking of reading comprehension and all that. God, you're funny.

Last edited by Tulemutt; 02-17-2015 at 03:46 AM..

Old 02-17-2015, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The tax rate is exactly the same... you can look at my bill as a new owner and that of neighbor that bought 30 years ago... the RATE is exactly the same.

The only difference is the cost basis... I paid 6 times what they paid and my taxes are almost 6 times as much... fair to me... anything else is meddling

Now if you want to talk about fair... why is it a home built 25 years ago may only require a 5000 foot lot and the same area today requires a 5 acre minimum... this is the classic case of I have mine and to heck with everyone else.

Zoning has done more to manipulate values than anything else...

Prop 13 is here to stay and only came about because people were desperate and the legislature gave the voters the finger...

What could be more fair than a tax based on acquisition price.... seems to work well for EVERYTHING else...

I will never support a return to the turmoil, corruption and property tax roulette of the pre-Prop 13 era.
I agree with you on the appropriateness of Prop 13 for primary residences. But why do you feel that should extend to investment properties? Investment properties are business or family wealth building investments at the expense of other taxpayers. No?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:55 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,739,662 times
Quote:
Mbell. Speaking of not reading/comprehending: I did not respond to your opinion of rankings for "best" / "worst". I responded to your statement that the rate of small business failure in California is extraordinarily high. I don't know that it is, or isn't - and didn't argue so - but I suspect it follows the average nationally pretty much.

Here's what you originally wrote and what I responded to:

And what I challenged you to do was provide some proof for your claim. Which you still haven't done.

Find us a credible statistic showing California small business failures are significantly higher than other places. I would be interested to see.

Don't do as OldTrader: provide a short-term glimpse of the wreckage of the recent recession. Show us a normal trend over non-catastrophic time frames.

You have a consistent habit of making "statements of fact", um, that aren't "fact". Verify your claim for us.

Don't tell us how "unpopular" California is in rankings. Tell us about "failures". Perhaps you are on to something. Perhaps not. But simply spewing your opinion without backing it up doesn't cut it.

Speaking of reading comprehension and all that. God, you're funny.
Well unfortunately, the internet doesn't publish studies on every single statistic. However, anyone with half a brain could easily figure out that small businesses in a state thats constantly ranked the best (or one of the top 5) states for business climate is going to do A LOT better than ones in a state constantly ranked at the bottom of all 50 states. I thought you were smarter than that...

Old 02-17-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Well unfortunately, the internet doesn't publish studies on every single statistic. However, anyone with half a brain could easily figure out that small businesses in a state thats constantly ranked the best (or one of the top 5) states for business climate is going to do A LOT better than ones in a state constantly ranked at the bottom of all 50 states. I thought you were smarter than that...
No good, mbell. You made a declaration that IS statistically quantified. You are just too lazy or incompetent to back up your claim. You ask people to "trust you" often. Why? Why should any reader here trust a poster who throws out unfounded opinions as facts left and right? Anyway, we're not talking "doing better" or worse than. You claimed "failure". Based on what, mbell?

I'm smart enough to ask relevant questions. And for proofs of wild claims.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on the appropriateness of Prop 13 for primary residences. But why do you feel that should extend to investment properties? Investment properties are business or family wealth building investments at the expense of other taxpayers. No?
Therein comes the rub... California is forbidden by it's constitution to have split tax rolls... in other words all taxable property must be treated the same... the only work around I'm aware is the Home Owner Exemption which could have so easily been updated if the political will was only there.

Instead the legislature put it on the voters to decide so it could wring their collective hands and then said it would never pass and boy were they wrong...

Determining what is investment or mix use can be quite complicated open to many loopholes...

The parents of a friend bought an old Victorian home in Berkeley and put their son on title for 1% ownership... this meant it was owner occupied and not subject to Berkeley rent control... their son and later their daughter paid for their CAL education renting out rooms...

Many SF properties have owners living upstairs and storefronts downstairs...

It sounds like a colossal nightmare of endless appeals and new schemes... just my opinion.

I'm sure those that own investment property in rent control areas could make it work... tax increases are for the most part a passthrough... I know one of the reasons I can keep my rents stabil is because of Prop 13 and only taking out fixed rate mortgages... I can project my costs so I know what I need to make it worthwhile.

On the other hand... governments are routinely giving the biggest of big business tax incentives to set up shop... so even Prop 13 is too little for some to invest in California.

Or the business of farmers where taxes would drive them out because their land became too valuable to farm and then government comes up with things like the Williamson Act so property taxes almost disappear...

One of the reasons Prop 13 has survived is because it is simple... only a couple of paragraphs that anyone can understand... and it works.

I doubt if Prop 13 was tossed that anyone would see a real drop in property tax paid... instead, those long time home owners would see huge increases just because...

Old 02-17-2015, 09:36 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,636,858 times
Quote:

That may be but employees don't want to move. Ask Boeing who has tried for years to shut down all of their remaining workload in OC. Who would leave OC for Texas? Very few current employees, although I admit that young new employees likely would since they cannot afford a home here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California