Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
I still say San Antonio and Austin are where its at in TX.
That's funny...where it's all at in TX...I don't think so.

I take it that you might not know much about Houston nor have spent very much time there.

You could not pay me to live in SA or Austin. I actually lived in Austin for 1.8 years and was bored out of my mind. I found it to be a very disappointing city. I like world class big city amenities...like Houston has. I have lived in 3 of the biggest Texas cities and I still loved Houston the best. The other two weren't horrible but just were not for my taste buds.

I don't know what your into in either city but if it rocks your world then

Sorry everyone for straying off topic.

DM me if want to continue this conversation...I don't like straying off the topic!

Last edited by TVC15; 06-28-2011 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 11:08 AM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Every state goes through their Ups and Downs and to be honest even though California is going through these problems it's not the end of the road for us but rather a wake up call.

California will recover and in the long term my bet is also on California.
I hope you're right, my Kern County friend.

By the way, you must have had insomnia if you were up at 3:11 a.m. posting this!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:27 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Texas' relative low cost of living will make it a magnet for folks on SSI. The influx of SSI recipients will drain the tax base without supplying revenue growth.

Texas is doomed!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
That's funny...where it's all at in TX...I don't think so.

I take it that you might not know much about Houston nor have spent very much time there.

You could not pay me to live in SA or Austin. I actually lived in Austin for 1.8 years and was bored out of my mind. I found it to be a very disappointing city. I like world class big city amenities...like Houston has. I have lived in 3 of the biggest Texas cities and I still loved Houston the best. The other two weren't horrible but just were not for my taste buds.

I don't know what your into in either city but if it rocks your world then

Sorry everyone for straying off topic.

DM me if want to continue this conversation...I don't like straying off the topic!
World class amenities? Having lived in Austin and Houston I can only assume you mean ghettos?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG5003 View Post
Oh I agree... Austin is not nearly as liberal as many people think. I'm from Houston (resident for 25 years), and there is clearly much more diversity in Houston than Austin - and certainly more so than when I last lived there in the 90's.

Perhaps Austin has earned this liberal label due to 6th Street, the smoke shops and the fact that the news media openly portray motorists who accidentally hit bicyclists who stray into the middle the road as "murderers."
Austin is as liberal as people think. It's a liberal granola city, kind of like the ones on the west coast and in the desert southwest.

Houston is a SOUTHERN city. It's not liberal in the same way. It votes Democrat because it has a lot of impoverished black people.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
World class amenities? Having lived in Austin and Houston I can only assume you mean ghettos?
Really

Do you call the Texas Medical Center ghetto?
Do you call the Houston Museum District ghetto?
Do you call the Houston Symphony and Ballet ghetto?
Do you call the IAH and all of the world class hotels ghetto?
Do you call the concert halls and professional sports arenas ghetto?
Do you call all of the multitude of Universities in Houston ghetto?
Do you call all of the upscale restaurants, shopping centers, work out facilities ghetto?
Do you call the Houston Ship Channel ghetto?
Do you call the Houston Energy Corridor ghetto?
Do you see NASA as ghetto?
Do you call the clean Downtown Houston ghetto?

Go back to Houston and take a good look around...maybe you only hung out in the ghettos and that is why you missed out on the world class amenities!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 AM

136 posts, read 328,732 times
Quote:
Quote:
Houston is a SOUTHERN city. It's not liberal in the same way. It votes Democrat because it has a lot of impoverished black people.
Good grief... there's nothing at all "Ghetto" about Austin, or most of the Houston metro area for that matter. Talk about flaming posts - red hot.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think Austin's liberalness is over stated. Compared to Texas as a whole, it is liberal. Compared to Portland or San Francisco it is conservative.
Interesting. I think you may be on to something.

Austin has Wal Mart and other things like strip malls and tons of suburban style tract housing, all of which which would never be allowed in SF.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Really

Do you call the Texas Medical Center ghetto?
Do you call the Houston Museum District ghetto?
Do you call the Houston Symphony and Ballet ghetto?
Do you call the IAH and all of the world class hotels ghetto?
Do you call the concert halls and professional sports arenas ghetto?
Do you call all of the multitude of Universities in Houston ghetto?
Do you call all of the upscale restaurants, shopping centers, work out facilities ghetto?
Do you call the Houston Ship Channel ghetto?
Do you call the Houston Energy Corridor ghetto?
Do you see NASA as ghetto?
Do you call the clean Downtown Houston ghetto?

Go back to Houston and take a good look around...maybe you only hung out in the ghettos and that is why you missed out on the world class amenities!
I wouldn't consider the medical center an amenity. If you need the kind of specialized medical care you can't get at a regular hospital, you can go to Houston from anywhere else in the state.

The Houston energy corridor is completely undesirable concrete sprawl, the ship channel has nothing to do with the city itself, NASA isn't an amenity unless you work there. Clean downtown Houston? How is that different from any other CDBG in the world? None of these is an advantage over Austin. If you're into ballet and symphony, fine, those are amenities, but I'll take the hiking trails and lakes in the Hill Country any day. You said you were bored out of your mind in Austin... so in Houston did you go and hang out at the Medical Center and the Ship Channel? How many times can you possibly go to the ballet? I went to the Houston Ballet once because my niece was in the Nutcracker, and that was enough.

BTW, all those those supposedly nice places are interspersed with ghettos, or at best strip mall sprawl. Every urban neighborhood in Houston is on the brink of urban decay.

If you're into checking things off on a list that don't really affect quality of life, and don't mind flatness, sprawl, concrete, dirtiness, and gloomy winter weather, Houston is your city.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 06-30-2011 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Interesting. I think you may be on to something.

Austin has Wal Mart and other things like strip malls and tons of suburban style tract housing, all of which which would never be allowed in SF.
San Francisco doesn't have suburbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California