U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,698,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I wouldn't consider the medical center an amenity. If you need the kind of specialized medical care you can't get at a regular hospital, you can go to Houston from anywhere else in the state.

The Houston energy corridor is completely undesirable concrete sprawl, the ship channel has nothing to do with the city itself, NASA isn't an amenity unless you work there. Clean downtown Houston? How is that different from any other CDBG in the world? None of these is an advantage over Austin. If you're into ballet and symphony, fine, those are amenities, but I'll take the hiking trails and lakes in the Hill Country any day. You said you were bored out of your mind in Austin... so in Houston did you go and hang out at the Medical Center and the Ship Channel? How many times can you possibly go to the ballet? I went to the Houston Ballet once because my niece was in the Nutcracker, and that was enough.

BTW, all those those supposedly nice places are interspersed with ghettos, or at best strip mall sprawl. Every urban neighborhood in Houston is on the brink of urban decay.

If you're into checking things off on a list that don't really affect quality of life, and don't mind flatness, sprawl, concrete, dirtiness, and gloomy winter weather, Houston is your city.
Your clueless The Texas Medical Center is a world class health care facility...if you are unaware of that then nothing else coming out of your mouth holds merit.

The ship channel has nothing to do with the city ...you can't be serious It is the Port of Houston and one of the busiest in the US!

If you were bored in Houston then you have a serious problem...anyone who is bored in the 4th largest city in the US has got a serious problem.

Clean downtown...have you been to SF and NY and seen how filthy they are? I appreciate how clean downtown Houston is.

Yes in Houston I hung out in the Texas Medical Center since I earned a degree from M.D. Anderson and also worked in the Texas Medical Center. BTW when I lived in Austin and worked in healthcare there...I was alarmed at the low standards and lack of modern technology compared to what I experienced in the TMC.

I did not hang out at the ship channel but I rode my motorcycle around it. And hiked through the surrounding forests!

And yes everything else on my list I participated in during my life in Houston and more!

I'm done... your not worth educating if you are this clueless.

You can have your Austin slacker small town that it is.

I'll take the Bay Area for my dose of nature

To summarize Houston is far from being a ghetto!

Last edited by TVC15; 06-30-2011 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 PM

248 posts, read 506,040 times
I have family that live in Texas and it is not the utopia everyone thinks it is. Property taxes are significantly higher in Texas and the weather sucks. Wages are a lot lower too.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypenny View Post
I have family that live in Texas and it is not the utopia everyone thinks it is. Property taxes are significantly higher in Texas and the weather sucks. Wages are a lot lower too.

No one said it was a utopia

Funny Californians think just because Texas has higher property taxes that you guys make out better when buying a house. Keep in mind you won't pay a million or more dollars for a family house. Even with higher property taxes your money goes further in Texas no matter how you want to slice and dice it.

Wages are lower because the COL is significantly lower. Californian has to pay higher wages to professionals due to the outrageous COL here.

In Texas the weather only sucks in the hottest part of the summer. So here in Northern California I can't go out and enjoy the winter months due to constant rain and cold for 6-7 months. I can really only enjoy 5-6 months of good outside weather here. In Texas you can't enjoy about 6-7 months due to hot weather...but the remaining 5-6 months have great weather.

You guys will never cease to amaze me at how little you really know about Texas.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:05 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,442,125 times
I don't get it, why do transplants in the bay area continuously think that the bay area is some how representative of the state as whole? Its utterly bizarre considering that California is one of the most diverse states in the union, but perhaps that is it, they are use to the homogenized sameness in their home states so they extend that thinking to California. Doesn't work....

Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I don't get it, why do transplants in the bay area continuously think that the bay area is some how representative of the state as whole? Its utterly bizarre considering that California is one of the most diverse states in the union, but perhaps that is it, they are use to the homogenized sameness in their home states so they extend that thinking to California. Doesn't work....

If you are implicating me...all I can say is I don't think for one second that the Bay Area is representative of this entire State. I have been to every large city in California and small ones as well and yes they are all very different.

I would like to Ditto your comment about Californians and how they think Texas is one simple homogenized sameness. Austin, Houston, Dallas, El Paso and San Antonio are just as different from one another as what you see here in California.

East Texas, North Texas, West Texas, South Texas and the Gulf Coast area are all very different from one another in every aspect you can think of.

Last edited by TVC15; 06-30-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Sticking to the topic of this post if lists mean anything...

The Best Places For Business and Careers List - Forbes

Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM

32,342 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
San Francisco doesn't have suburbs?
Actually Austin has all these liberal retail abominations well within its city limits.

San Franciscans would rather die.

That's the difference.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:55 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,442,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
If you are implicating me...all I can say is I don't think for one second that the Bay Area is representative of this entire State.
Yes I'm implicating you, for example, in no sense is $1 million the average price throughout the state for a "family home".

Texas is far more homogeneous, both demographically and geologically, than California.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,349,316 times
All jobs aren't created equal....and, as mockable as are many overtaxed, dysfunctional, commie towns like SF or Manhattan or PaloAlto, suspect, for past 10-15yrs, most of world's most lucrative (>>$200K/yr) jobs have been created in the industrial suburbs ard PaloAlto, far more than anywhere else on planet, incl TX or NYC or Germany or Japan or Chindia

TX's high-income job creation is largely oil&gas related, almost exclusively in Houston and Dallas...and highly levered to price of oil and nat gas...look out below when the silly China credit/malinvestment scam explodes...low taxes/business-friendly regulation are helpful but not sufficient for IQ-centered innovation and wealth creation (though one should admire TX's bold innovations and bets in shale gas/oil, as well as pipelines)

Austin is a joke of a commie town w/a lot of useless gvt/lobbyist jobs and back-office tech....no valuable tech co. has been created in Aus (or anywhere else in TX) in past 25+yrs....and today ole Dell is a puny co. in mkt cap (not unlike EMC, Bos' "only" tech co., despite MIT)

Almost all of CA's high income jobs and most valuable cos. are created around PaloAlto area....not in SJ; almost zero innovation in commie SF ex dubious CRM, Zynga, Twit (which are dwarfs vs the BigTech ard PaloAlto); and near-zero of an economy in the low-IQ, poor EastBay (despite Berkeley's famed CS/EE depts which smart kids flee every yr for jobs in PaloAlto area)....and LA is a joke of an economy in creating valuable new cos. or jobs...whether in finance or tech....Occidental Petroleum is LA's most valuable co; tiny Broadcom is Irvine's most valuable co......and Qualcomm is SD's most valuable co. and easily most valuable tech co. in LA/SD corridor: another corridor which has created near-zero new, valuable tech cos. in decades...

Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes I'm implicating you, for example, in no sense is $1 million the average price throughout the state for a "family home".

Texas is far more homogeneous, both demographically and geologically, than California.

Home prices are astronomically higher in all of California for what you pay for compared to what you can buy in Texas for the same price...that is all over California not just the Bay Area.

So what if it is homogenous demographically and geologically?

Actually it really is not...it is not humid all over Texas and it is not flat all over Texas and the cities are completely different from each other just like here in California. No homogenous sameness as you like to rant on about senselessly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California