Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 10:37 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,808,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Dude just give it up. You're trolling beyond belief.

How would you like it if I said that the Bay Area was full of moon bat crazy ultra leftists in their 60s who walk balls out in the streets of SF? Did they repeal that crazy law, yet? And annoying A-type techies with their heads shoved so far up their behinds. Insufferable all north face wearing prestige w-h-ore yuppies who love to throw out sardonic quips. Don't even get me started on those yuppie hipster hybrids you guys have up there in spades.

Crippling homeless population, beyond sad for such a progressive area. Gap wide between rich and poor.

So take a deep breath before your next post and think this time before you type. Get your tickets early for Burning Man early this year and just kick back and don't worry about Texas.
Hey, that was pretty good! May need clarification on just what those moon bats are doing with balls in the streets , but it sounds intriguing. But there is truth in the above, so well done! It's OK, we can take it. Bring it on, it's great theater!

BTW, we don't worry about TX. They seem to come into our forum and worry about us. Wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 11:07 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,976,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Hey, that was pretty good! May need clarification on just what those moon bats are doing with balls in the streets , but it sounds intriguing. But there is truth in the above, so well done! It's OK, we can take it. Bring it on, it's great theater!

BTW, we don't worry about TX. They seem to come into our forum and worry about us. Wonder why?
Wasn't there a local law in SF that allowed people to walk around in the nude? I think they repealed it but even then I saw some pretty near naked old dudes walking around the Castro.

Anyways, I don't hate the Bay Area what so ever. I loved SF. I also don't know why it gets a bad rap for being rude. I found the ppl way more approachable than in LA. It was like a mini NYC.

On Texas, yes some texans hate CA and love to spout their nonsense against it because it represents everything right wing texans hate. Also the business rags make CA look bad and make Texas look good even though the rags exaggerate how cool Texas is.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:56 PM

807 posts, read 894,852 times
Quote:
Anyways, I don't hate the Bay Area what so ever. I loved SF. I also don't know why it gets a bad rap for being rude. I found the ppl way more approachable than in LA. It was like a mini NYC.

On Texas, yes some texans hate CA and love to spout their nonsense against it because it represents everything right wing texans hate. Also the business rags make CA look bad and make Texas look good even though the rags exaggerate how cool Texas is.
The problem is that the stereotypes you tried to use satirically actually passes for "reason" for many pro-Texas supporters all over the Internet. Thankfully it is rare in the California subforums but you'll occasionally find some of it on other City-Data subforums. A counter-reaction from some Californians inside the California subforum shouldn't be too surprising, it may even be the response some people are trying to provoke.

From my perspective, Texas could use more well informed and literate representatives who can trade reasoned (counter-)perspectives with other people and leave a better impression of their state. There have been several such posters in this thread, including yourself, but more of a good thing is always better. Hearing the things that Texas does well isn't bad for Californians. We may disagree on what's actually good or bad but having the latest news and ideas here for discussion is something that I appreciate.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,446,990 times
I love the homeless people in California, they remind me my life isn't as bad as their life is.. I felt bad for them.. drug addiction is no joke.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,808,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I love the homeless people in California, they remind me my life isn't as bad as their life is.. I felt bad for them.. drug addiction is no joke.
Homeless life is pretty bad anywhere, not just CA.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:24 PM

21,679 posts, read 16,211,923 times
Quote:
Wasn't there a local law in SF that allowed people to walk around in the nude?
It's actually legal lots of places,including Seattle, and Portland, I think. The metric for being arrested for nudity is defined as "intent". If your intent is clearly to shock and disturb, or intimidate or sexually titillate, excite, etc., you can be arrested for obscene behaviors. If you are simply being naked without any apparent nefarious agenda, you are free to be so.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:28 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,253,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
If you are highly enamored with guns, bibles, and Cowboys, then by all means, have at it. Send us a postcard.
Austin is actually quite liberal, maybe even more so than SJ.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
The problem is that the stereotypes you tried to use satirically actually passes for "reason" for many pro-Texas supporters all over the Internet. Thankfully it is rare in the California subforums but you'll occasionally find some of it on other City-Data subforums. A counter-reaction from some Californians inside the California subforum shouldn't be too surprising, it may even be the response some people are trying to provoke.

From my perspective, Texas could use more well informed and literate representatives who can trade reasoned (counter-)perspectives with other people and leave a better impression of their state. There have been several such posters in this thread, including yourself, but more of a good thing is always better. Hearing the things that Texas does well isn't bad for Californians. We may disagree on what's actually good or bad but having the latest news and ideas here for discussion is something that I appreciate.
Ultra right conservatism, nationalism and regionalism has utterly spoiled decent discourse in Texas. Texas is for all intents and purposes a practical and business friendly state. It's not an innovative state that experiments with breaking boundaries. Its conservative pro business and traditional. It's helped millions of people move into the middle class but it's also leaving behind other folks in areas such as education, healthcare and wages. The only saving grace for average folks there is the low cost of living. Without it, poorer people would be SOL.

If there's a downturn, people are SOL because there is almost no assistance. If the state seceded and no federal programs were coming in the state would be a hell hole.

But texans don't think like Californians do. They think that if you didn't jump on the Texas boom to carve yourself a slice then you deserve to drown.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Austin is actually quite liberal, maybe even more so than SJ.
No it's not. The liberalism is just cosmetics. I started a whole thread asking why Austin thinks its progressive and no one offered valid points other than it has vegan shops, co-ops, and community clinics. Its social programs, public hospitals, or actual city run amenities are virtually non existent and constrained by the state of Texas. No union representation either. It's no where near as progressive as Portland or San Francisco. Heck I pointed out that the city of Austin is less progressive than Harris County which offers more extensive housing and health care programs for its less fortunate.

Sorry but farmers markets, and eclectic fashion styles doesn't make a city progressive. It's a libertarian town.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,577,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
I know this thread is old, but:

So, from 2007 to 2014, according the the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it appears that Texas and CA each created around 1.4 million jobs. For that time period, Texas average wages went from $44,931 to $43,245 which is around -3.8% and California average wages went from $49,745 to $48,691 or -2.1%. From the Governors offices of both TX and CA, it appears that Texas' Enterprise Fund, for the years 2004-present went from just under $300 million to $60.7 million. California's Compete Tax Credit from around 2013 to present is currently hovering around $200 million, so as its been for the last 10 years, both states are making the fight to woo companies in with the hopes of come positive job creation and wage increases. We'll see who can bring them in in the next coming years.

I was speaking with my friend who is originally from CA, now living in Dallas for nearly 10 years. ALL he every talks about is the cost and square footage of homes here in TX vs. CA and how CA is such a bad to live. I said to him, "well, what about comparison in lifestyle?, I know Texans who have moved to CA and love it & vice-versa." He defers back to the cost of his 1300 sq. ft. home in Los Angeles, and thats IT. No mention of weather, scenery, beaches, entertainment venues, etc. And, he made more money in CA. (all this being said, yet he vacations in CA)

After gathering many opinions from people from all over the U.S. and overseas, I've come to the conclusion that the best place to live is based on your level of comfort in that particular place. Some are willing to pay $ for it, and some are so focused on chasing "$the gold ring$", that having a particular lifestyle doesn't matter much as long as they have a 4,000+ sq. ft home and luxury car in the driveway. Some people feel that the hot & humid summers of Houston are worth it for the cost of living. Some feel that Seattle's grey days/mist are not worth moving away from for the lifestyle they can live in that area.

Its all in a persons perspective on whats important in life.
And they better love being in that 4,000 + sq. ft home in Houston, because the hot and humid weather starts in March, just like it does FL, and it goes long past August.

That weather is going to keep them in that house, a prisoner of A/C a good part of the year. Having lived in a hot/humid climate, I can tell you that is no way to live.

Sorry, I don't care how nice of a house or how large of house you have, if you don't like the area you're living in the house and luxury car won't mean much after awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
A lot of Californians are more interested what is outside their front door than inside.
Exactly. And you have a climate that is pleasant most of the year. Warm without being terribly hot for 6 months of the year like other places, and even on hot days once the sun goes down the temperature drops by 30 degrees. Unlike places like that are humid where the low is a 83 degrees at 1am with 90% humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California