Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times

Advertisements

Every state goes through their Ups and Downs and to be honest even though California is going through these problems it's not the end of the road for us but rather a wake up call.

California will recover and in the long term my bet is also on California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
^^ Exhibit A as to why California can't and won't be fixed any time soon.
EXACTLY!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Californians don't want to be Texans, why is this so difficult to understand?

California is not doing poorly right now because it doesn't have Texas like policies, its doing poorly because it was ground zero for the housing bubble. On the other hand Texas was only mildly effected by the housing bubble and has benefited from the increase in energy costs, not to mention the pick up in manufacturing.

Long-term I'd bet on California, not Texas.
"Texas only mildly effected by the housing bubble"

Now why would that be?
- Maybe in Texas the appraisers didn't appraise homes values 5 times higher than actual value
- Maybe Texas would not allow banks to approve people for subprime loans with little or no income and had no way to pay
- Maybe Texas didn't allow predatory realtors and loan brokers to operate in the state

The housing crisis was caused by federal and local governments in collusion with the real estate industry, banks and wall street and they pulled off the greatest heist in history. Look how many people had their wealth swapped for deep debt.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,678,559 times
I suggest that everyone who complains about California and are thrilled with the great qualities of Texas should pack up and head for their own personal nirvana, Texas.

Meanwhile, this past weekend I drove my Jeep an hour off the Freeway on a pleasant two lane road, I stopped a little burg with a population of 160 surrounded by Alfalfa fields and oil rigs. I bought myself a coke and continued on on a little used rural road which soon turned to dirt and wound its way into a spectacular red rock canyon. The road began to climb, which it did steadily eventually reaching an elevation of 6,000 feet. From this ridgeline road I could see far off in the distance one of the Channel Islands rising out of the blue Pacific. I could see the still snow covered ridges of the Sierra Nevada in the far distance. In the near distance in all directions massed mountains and canyons reached out, beckoning the adventurous traveler.

I parked, leaving my open topped Jeep with some personal gear in it, not worrying a moment about that gear being stolen, and walked another 7 miles to set camp in a forest of sugar pine, cedar, white fir and jeffry pine. A small stream flowed by camp with crystal clear ice cold water. There was bear sign everywhere, and enough rattle snakes to keep one observant as they hiked.

In the evening a campfire and friends and the stars glittered brilliantly above the dark shadows of the tall timber.

From here I could walk east for a hundred miles and cross two paved roads. I could walk west for a hundred miles and cross one paved road. I could walk north for a hundred miles and cross two paved roads. To the south 50 miles and no paved roads would get me to the coast.

This is California, there are tens of millions of acres of public land, grand vistas, deep canyons, great fishing, hiking, jeeping, horse riding,

Texas has very little land that even remotely resembles this.

If you do not care about open spaces, campfires, hiking in wild rugged terrain, by all means please head for Texas.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Californians don't want to be Texans, why is this so difficult to understand?

California is not doing poorly right now because it doesn't have Texas like policies, its doing poorly because it was ground zero for the housing bubble. On the other hand Texas was only mildly effected by the housing bubble and has benefited from the increase in energy costs, not to mention the pick up in manufacturing.

Long-term I'd bet on California, not Texas.
Nowhere in my original post did I suggest California should be more like Texas, except for one thing: the legislators need to focus on creating jobs to increase economic activity to close down the budget deficits -- something that you and I have disagreed about in the past.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Very good post...for the Texas forum!
Really.

There is another thread about life expectancies in the south that has very little to do with California. I don't see you telling the OP of that thread to "get the f*** out."

Quote:
No use trying to explain this to them. You're talking to people on City-Data. A site that has a very large number of other distractions. If their favorite state forum is slow for whatever reason, they could talk about Photography, Music, Movies, Gardening the list goes on and on. Lot's of stuff just here on C-D. Nonetheless despite all those other distractions and hobbies, they feel the need to come to the CALIFORNIA forum and boast about TEXAS. Tells you what kind of people we're dealing with. No excuse for their behavior on a site that gives them plenty of other options.
I'm out working a full time job that involves running a family business. Whatever time I have leftover, I use that to maintain a social life -- unlike the few CD posters that spend all day on this forum. And I've been posting in this forum for nearly 3 years now. When I start threads, I try my best to make sure it has something to do with California.

I haven't seen you address any of the points made in the Sacbee.com article, so what's your excuse for participating in this thread?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
There is another thread about life expectancies in the south that has very little to do with California. I don't see you telling the OP of that thread to "get the f*** out."
and why would I? Someone says something positive about the state for once and I should be upset with that?

Quote:
When I start threads, I try my best to make sure it has something to do with California.
I'm not disputing that part at all.

Quote:
what's your excuse for participating in this thread?
Already gave my reasons earlier

Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
No thanks. We are too focused on the budget deficit and making sure our legislators are getting paid for not passing the budget on time.

Dan Walters: California vs. Texas provides very stark job comparison - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/26/3727778/dan-walters-california-vs-texas.html - broken link)
I dont see a correlation btwn the state passing a budget and jobs growth.

Please explain how they are related?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont see a correlation btwn the state passing a budget and jobs growth.

Please explain how they are related?
They are not. If you would read my original post, I highlighted a quote in bold. My statement above was made in sarcasm, a criticism of the state gov't and governor not placing a higher priority on improving out state economy.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
and why would I? Someone says something positive about the state for once and I should be upset with that?

I'm not disputing that part at all.

Already gave my reasons earlier
I get it. When it comes to criticism about our state, it's a tough pill to swallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California