U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,749,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Luckily I've had the pleasure of being loaded down with 46,000 lbs...
Scales must have been closed...

Old 07-01-2011, 08:22 PM

624 posts, read 1,076,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where you brainwashed by your parents or did you "hit bottom" (due to drugs, alcohol, depression, prison, etc) and survived by becoming "born again"?

Ask yourself , " does it work?" My faith in Jesus Christ has led to a inner peace that the world never could give me. It works, but you must believe in His dying for our sins and asking us to come into a relationship with Him. The Bible states that to have this relationship, one must be born again. Spiritually born again. A free will choice.

Ask yourself Charles, " are you secure with your eternity? Is your life working for you based on your opinion or education from a public school or college. The only brainwashing I had done to me was by teachers telling me that I could become my own power/god if I only tried harder. Living through faith and obedience is not difficult and actually is easy. The consumerism and false pride of the world do not mean much.

I wish you the best.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:04 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,819,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You could still be legal with that much weight real easily if you're not in CA.
It all depends on whether you've got a dry box or a refridgerated unit and if you're tractor is a monster or not.

As long as you don't go over 34,000 on the trailer and drive axles, and 12,000 on the steers, you're good to go.

CA/OR/WA require the tandems be no further than 40' from the middle of the forward-most trailer axle and the kingpin.
Then there's the discriminatory 55mph for trucks speed limit and "Level-I happy" scalehouses in NoCal and OR.

Yeah, I pretty much turn anything down as much as possible that has to be taken anywhere above the 80.

As a companion piece to my earlier post, it's also a nicer and easier to live in CA when you've got a job/career that isn't as heavily frowned upon or regulated by local/state gov't and pish-posh civilians.
Seems there's more than one-too many trucker-unfriendly areas scattered throughout the state.

Last edited by bentstrider; 07-01-2011 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 1 day ago)

5,503 posts, read 12,351,445 times
Quote:
... Yeah, I pretty much turn anything down as much as possible that has to be taken anywhere above the 80.

As a companion piece to my earlier post, it's also a nicer and easier to live in CA when you've got a job/career that isn't as heavily frowned upon or regulated by local/state gov't and pish-posh civilians.
Seems there's more than one-too many trucker-unfriendly areas scattered throughout the state.
Man, that I-80 can be loooong and boring. But there are a lot of beautiful places to visit shooting off from it like Jackson Hole, the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Then in Utah you have Salt Lake City and the Wasatch Mountains.

My next door neighbor was a trucker while living in CO. He was a very friendly guy and always willing to give me a hand if/when I needed it. Funny thing was he said he was the most over educated trucker (kinda tounge-in-cheek). He had a PhD in Philosophy or Religious studies, can't remember which. But he was also a farmer by trade from Texas. So he planned to stay in CO and plant a new church or move back to Texas and get back into farming which was actually starting to pick up. Though at the time trucking paid his mortgage and helped to support his family (wife & 2 kids).

Derek

Old 07-02-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Man, that I-80 can be loooong and boring. But there are a lot of beautiful places to visit shooting off from it like Jackson Hole, the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Then in Utah you have Salt Lake City and the Wasatch Mountains.

My next door neighbor was a trucker while living in CO. He was a very friendly guy and always willing to give me a hand if/when I needed it. Funny thing was he said he was the most over educated trucker (kinda tounge-in-cheek). He had a PhD in Philosophy or Religious studies, can't remember which. But he was also a farmer by trade from Texas. So he planned to stay in CO and plant a new church or move back to Texas and get back into farming which was actually starting to pick up. Though at the time trucking paid his mortgage and helped to support his family (wife & 2 kids).

Derek
Yes, once you obtain that commercial license, it's a better and easier thing to maintain the 2-yr medical card and keep it as a backup option.
As far as the 80 goes, the mountainous areas of it are the only exciting part.
Once you go past either the Sierras westbound, or into Nebraska eastbound, it's a sleepy journey indeed.
Luckily, I got past all the 48-state stuff four years ago and now keep myself planted to the six-state, southwestern runs.

All deserts and mountains for me now.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 1 day ago)

5,503 posts, read 12,351,445 times
Quote:
Yes, once you obtain that commercial license, it's a better and easier thing to maintain the 2-yr medical card and keep it as a backup option.
As far as the 80 goes, the mountainous areas of it are the only exciting part.
Once you go past either the Sierras westbound, or into Nebraska eastbound, it's a sleepy journey indeed.
Luckily, I got past all the 48-state stuff four years ago and now keep myself planted to the six-state, southwestern runs.

All deserts and mountains for me now.
I guess that's something also to consider if moving out of state. Those midwestern routes get a lot of extreme weather along with seemingly endless miles of not a whole lot in some places. But if you are doing the southwest, maybe something along that route would be worth looking into in like Flagstaff or maybe southern Utah.

Derek

Old 07-02-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I guess that's something also to consider if moving out of state. Those midwestern routes get a lot of extreme weather along with seemingly endless miles of not a whole lot in some places. But if you are doing the southwest, maybe something along that route would be worth looking into in like Flagstaff or maybe southern Utah.

Derek
St George, Cedar City, Flagstaff and even the smaller cities of Moab and Page are on my menu.
The weather in these areas is quite similar to what I've put up with in Victorville all my life and the people there tend to be quite easy to get along with just as well.
Plenty of outdoor activities to keep me occupied and local/regional haul jobs to finance school and life with.

Speaking of school, the universities in the mentioned areas seem to be small and easy-going enough to not have my limited concentration busted apart.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:03 PM

950 posts, read 2,225,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I liked the Then and Now photos associated with the article.

Then and now: Southern California
I agree Charles. The Paramount Pictures then and now is fantastic. The bit of trivia about the Hollywood sign was neat as well. The article is about how California isn't what it used to be, but some of those photos actually make things look nicer than they used to be. I don't think that the gallery supported the claims of the article, except perhaps the photo of the orange groves that are now the home of Disneyland.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:24 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,369,420 times
Nearly 35 years later and the media are still looking for ways to say California is on its last legs.

And, why would the media imply that? California is the Poster Child State for all the is right and good on the Progressive Mind-set they have..
California is to be raised on a high podium, not derided?

Old 07-04-2011, 06:23 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,074,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
or driven the back roads so he wouldn't get weighed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California