U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,445,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
One quibble I have with the article is the notion that carrying capacity has been reached. Anyone who's visited Southern Europe or North Africa (which have a similar climate) can tell you that is hogwash. The issue is not too many people. The issue is policy. And the damage has been done.
I don't think you read the article to carefully, in terms of the "California Dream", that is affordable homes, open spaces, etc the population numbers are the critical factor. Its not so much that California can't add population, its that it can't add population while maintaining the same living standards.

Also, our living standards are far higher than those in North Africa and Southern Europe so I'm not sure why you are using those as examples.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,658,919 times
Japan has nearly four times the population of California and nearly the same land mass.

Fortunately half of California's land area is by law not available to live on.

I would consider it a favor if all those who bash on California remove themselves from the state, that would certainly lessen the impacts of our 37,000,000 people.

They could go to some buggy humid place back east, like Missouri or Arkansas, or Texas.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,988,919 times
That's the problem...People expect California to be stuck in time and not go through any changes at all.

It's even ironic when California's Population is slowing down the media makes it sound like California is Undesirable or it's the End of the World,but if our Population was Exploding then the media would still say something negative about an Overcrowded State,Traffic,Sprawl,Etc,Etc.

Just because California is changing it doesn't mean The California Dream has vanished or that this state is an Undesirable Place to live in.

This is coming from someone that is not a "Native of this State"....California is still a Wonderful Place despite the problems or changes we go through..I've lived here for quite some time and I don't plan on going anywhere else.

If people consider the 1950's as The California Dream,then you need to go find yourself a time machine for that....California is not for everyone,but i'm happier here than I was when I lived up in the Pacific Northwest.

So for those of you that don't like California,well I hope you find your Utopia wherever that may be

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Did they simply write their own updated version of Time Magazine's 1977 article? CNN even reused the terms "dream" and "fizzle" like Time used in 1977.

Nearly 35 years later and the media are still looking for ways to say California is on its last legs.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,993,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I would consider it a favor if all those who bash on California remove themselves from the state, that would certainly lessen the impacts of our 37,000,000 people.
Just the net consumers may leave. The net producers of revenue (pay more taxes than consume in services) may stay.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,951,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I don't think you read the article to carefully, in terms of the "California Dream", that is affordable homes, open spaces, etc the population numbers are the critical factor. Its not so much that California can't add population, its that it can't add population while maintaining the same living standards.

Also, our living standards are far higher than those in North Africa and Southern Europe so I'm not sure why you are using those as examples.
Higher than North Africa, yes. I wouldn't be so sure about Southern Europe. It would vary depending upon where you're talking about in Southern Europe. Large parts of Southern Europe have much higher quality of life than Southern California and even Central and Northern California.

Southern Europe's population is stable or declining. It would be desirable for California to have a stable or slightly declining population. (Too much of a decline however is not a good thing).

Old 06-28-2011, 07:00 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,239,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The California Dream is fizzling out: "California isn't what it used to be. Sure, America's most populous state, with 37.3 million people, is still home to Hollywood, "The OC," Silicon Valley and other cultural and economic engines. But for average Americans, the state seems to have lost its appeal."

Please read the full article.

The California Dream is fizzling out - CNN.com
It's all true. I agree with the entire article. The state has been ruined.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,614,876 times
That article only briefly touches on the real problems facing California, which is the budget shortfalls in the state government, along with the overall state of the economy. But the article seems to just focus on Southern California being overdeveloped and crowded--which is kind of old news at this point. I mean I don't think they even mention any specific areas in that article outside of the Greater Los Angeles area and Orange County...

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 5 days ago)

5,504 posts, read 12,360,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
It's all true. I agree with the entire article. The state has been ruined.
Yep, all those who buy this article hook, line and sinker better start Alabama dreamin' because its the new Promise Land. So run, don't walk to your nearest border. And once you get there just keep on movin', otherwise the big one may get you on the way out.

Derek

Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,228,890 times
While this doesn't relate to the "dream" referred to in the article, I'm coming to California to pursue my dream career. I have the tenacity and ability to network (okay, I know for sure tenacity). I've networked well here in KY, but unfortunately those contacts are in organizations that aren't hiring. I will also have to acquire the education as well as work hard and "smart." Not cocky, just confident! No, the dream isn't in entertainment, rather it's in urban and regional planning.

I'm not coming to CA because I "have" to leave the Ohio Valley, I've wanted to do that for a while. It's just that when I weighed all the pros and cons of living in the following regions, California, Western Washington, Texas, Chicago, East Coast, and Florida, well...let's just say that I knew I didn't want the East Coast and Florida. Chicago is okay, but the cold winters and Midwestern brusqueness can get to you; I experience enough of that just in Louisville and Cincinnati. California made the most sense for me, plus it's my favorite state of all that I've experienced.

Furthermore, huge bonuses are that California has some of the academically strongest and most prestigious public universities in the world, great geographic and cultural diversity and stunning natural beauty. Oh, and In-N-Out.

As much as Texas looks good on the surface, its imperfections are really beginning to surface with a projected deficit larger than California's. I might not go so far as to say that I have longer term confidence in California. However, I would go so far as to say that both California and Texas will be the states for dreamers and doers in the 21st century.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-28-2011 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 PM

624 posts, read 1,076,967 times
The global dream is fizziling out...the world is still searching for the Garden of Eden. The only true life to be had is believing in Christ Jesus. The rest of this stuff is vainity. Seek God in his glory and stop being fooled by consumerism and searching for fool's gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California