U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,000,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
The global dream is fizziling out...the world is still searching for the Garden of Eden. The only true life to be had is believing in Christ Jesus. The rest of this stuff is vainity. Seek God in his glory and stop being fooled by consumerism and searching for fool's gold.

Where you brainwashed by your parents or did you "hit bottom" (due to drugs, alcohol, depression, prison, etc) and survived by becoming "born again"?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 PM

26,090 posts, read 28,500,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The California Dream is fizzling out: "California isn't what it used to be. Sure, America's most populous state, with 37.3 million people, is still home to Hollywood, "The OC," Silicon Valley and other cultural and economic engines. But for average Americans, the state seems to have lost its appeal."

Please read the full article.

The California Dream is fizzling out - CNN.com
California is in decline. Those of us with our eyes open see it. I do find it ironic, though, about the lady who wants to preserve the orange grove behind her house. People complain about the high cost of housing, yet want to maintain orange groves for nostalgic reasons. Lack of supply is the main reason why homes are so expensive here. I think her attitude summarizes the reason for our state's decline. Everyone thinks someone else besides themselves should pay more taxes, take a cut in government programs, or build homes in someone else's back yard.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Everyone thinks someone else besides themselves should pay more taxes, take a cut in government programs, or build homes in someone else's back yard.
I think everyone besides me should pay more taxes, take a cut in government programs, or build homes in someone else's back yard.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:26 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,301,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
While it isn't true that all states rose up in popularity (no Pennsylvania Dream) and then fell down, most if not all other states are suffering the same or similar problems California is, aren't they? Who cares about the past? Is it worth it to move from one state with problems to another?
well, I don't agree. California has much larger extremes than any place I've lived in terms of the range between the positives and negatives. The negatives are really negative and the positives are pretty positive. You have to really identify with the positives to like it here, and maybe have a slight love affair with the potential excitement of the negatives.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,359,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
The global dream is fizziling out...the world is still searching for the Garden of Eden. The only true life to be had is believing in Christ Jesus. The rest of this stuff is vainity. Seek God in his glory and stop being fooled by consumerism and searching for fool's gold.
The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
well, I don't agree. California has much larger extremes than any place I've lived in terms of the range between the positives and negatives. The negatives are really negative and the positives are pretty positive. You have to really identify with the positives to like it here, and maybe have a slight love affair with the potential excitement of the negatives.

OK, then take this test: Are the problems in California so large that it is worth it for you to move away? Consider the cost of the move itself. Consider the effects on you and your family and you and your friends. Consider what you are moving to whether it be worse weather, less amenities, less diversity, less potential employment opportunities. Is California so bad that it is actually worth it to move?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,301,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, then take this test: Are the problems in California so large that it is worth it for you to move away? Consider the cost of the move itself. Consider the effects on you and your family and you and your friends. Consider what you are moving to whether it be worse weather, less amenities, less diversity, less potential employment opportunities. Is California so bad that it is actually worth it to move?
I just moved to California. For me it was the other question. Was it worth it to me to risk my comfort, extra spending cash/savings, even my furniture to move here? I'm not sure yet! But I did. At least I found a way to bring the cat, Thank God or I'd really be ticked.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 PM

26,090 posts, read 28,500,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This says it all.

For about 2 decades now, the majority of our growth has not come from 'Average Americans', but from Immigrants.

If we relied on the good graces of 'Average Americans', then we would have seen an overall decline long ago-but that hasnt been the case.

Since the millions of people have left, our state economy has continued to grow and reach unprecented levels attained by no other state-in fact, CAs economy will suprass $2 Trillion next year.
But it's like the article said....even immigrants from other countries are starting to notice there are better opportunities elsewhere.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 PM

2,830 posts, read 4,240,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yep, all those who buy this article hook, line and sinker better start Alabama dreamin' because its the new Promise Land. So run, don't walk to your nearest border. And once you get there just keep on movin', otherwise the big one may get you on the way out.

Derek
said the guy who lives in his own little world near the coast.

Yes, I plan to go but not to bama. I have my eye on a few places but won't say where because then, people will follow and we all know how that turned out in CA!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 6 days ago)

5,504 posts, read 12,362,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
said the guy who lives in his own little world near the coast.

Yes, I plan to go but not to bama. I have my eye on a few places but won't say where because then, people will follow and we all know how that turned out in CA!
No, not really. First of all since I grew up in LA I probably know that area as well as other parts of the state more than most. And not all CA is like LA. Not everything in CA is so impacted. In fact there are many places in CA including the Central Coast where the population growth has leveled off. Because of that I'm not fearful to tell ppl about it. It's not like you have to live in LA or move to the hills of Oklahoma. There are other options within CA itself.

I moved out of LA and out of state for a number of years also. And guess what, other Californians were doing the same things, going to those same secret places to (ie - it was no big secret). If living is cheap (relatively speaking) and jobs are plentiful you can bet other ppl including CAs are already there, trying to make it work. But you have to remember a simple rule of supply and demand. There is a good reason living is cheaper there, and its not just because no one has ever heard or thought about it before you did. You might be surprised to discover some of those reasons once there.

How about some ocean front property in Arizona?

http://youtu.be/YiddXGbRn5g

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-29-2011 at 01:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California