Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,321 times

Advertisements

tohell with cal, Cal has changed for the worse. People who still live there just have become use to the way it is now and have forgotten how good it was years ago. It's not the same place.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:23 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times
The California "dream" is the same as the American "dream" in the same sense that it is becoming much more difficult to attain today. This and the next generation is screwed and we have the baby boomers to thank for that.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
The California "dream" is the same as the American "dream" in the same sense that it is becoming much more difficult to attain today. This and the next generation is screwed and we have the baby boomers to thank for that.
This is just not accurate, I am not sure what is "unattainable " in CA or the US today.

I have three kids, 29, 22, 19, they are happy as pigs in doo doo in this state and are attaining their dreams.

Seems to me, once again, 100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Then you need to get out there and talk to people, visit the rest of the country, etc. Think from the perspective of a bright eyed young adult born and raised in a small town in the middle of the country, what opportunities do they have exactly? Magical place where all your fantasies come true? How...lame. Nobody is thinking that...

The "dream" they have is to make something of themselves, something that isn't going to happen in their hometowns. California and the NYC metro area are magnets for people looking to escape their upbringing, places where they can "make themselves" on their own terms.
Can't you do that in any large metro area like Houston, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, etc..? I understand they may not be "cool" or "trendy" areas for a lot of young people but that is one of the problems imo, a lot of people come to CA for this false image that is portrayed and it's "reputation"..

Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
This is just not accurate, I am not sure what is "unattainable " in CA or the US today.

I have three kids, 29, 22, 19, they are happy as pigs in doo doo in this state and are attaining their dreams.

Seems to me, once again, 100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in.
And you can stop right there because I never said that the American dream was unattainable.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
tohell with cal, Cal has changed for the worse. People who still live there just have become use to the way it is now and have forgotten how good it was years ago. It's not the same place.
No where is the same place. Actually, maybe that's not true. Maybe that's why people come here...to get away from places that are still as sucky as they used to be. I dunno. Things used to be better when the economy was better, I'll bet that's true all over though.

I agree with the poster who said too much attention is given to CA. Stop looking, go away, shoo, nothing to see here, move along...

Old 07-08-2011, 07:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
And you can stop right there because I never said that the American dream was unattainable
I see, much more difficult to attain falls short of unattainable, so let me rewrite

"This is just not accurate, I am not sure what is "much more difficult to attain " in CA or the US today.

Seems to me, once again, 100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

I think the whiners will whine wherever they are, that touch of humidity we got with the monsoon was annoying, but it was pretty darned mild compared to what America east of the 100th meridian gets all summer. I will take what ever faults California may have over humidity any day.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
I think the whiners will whine wherever they are, that touch of humidity we got with the monsoon was annoying, but it was pretty darned mild compared to what America east of the 100th meridian gets all summer. I will take what ever faults California may have over humidity any day.
There is a lot of truth in this. Ppl complain here about many things. Their plight is always someone (politicians, illegals, etc...) or something (stupid laws, etc...) elses fault but their own. Yet I wonder how these same folks would fair in the places like the South or Midwest or anywhere else for that matter. Look at the many states/areas devasted in Dixie Alley and Tornando Alley this year. Many of them lost it all including loved ones. Some lost their homes or businesses. Now add in the floods, harsh thunderstorms and swelting triple digit heat in many locations.

I have relatives who are picking up the pieces of a flooded basement right now in Denver after a huge deluge from back to back thunderstorms flooding their entire neighborhood. This is the second time they have sustained flood damage in last three years to the same home. A buddy of mine moved to Houston and can't stand it there. He can't wait to get back to the West Coast. The heat + humidity during these summer months along and many other factors make it a not so pleasant place, in spite of the cheaper cost of housing.

California is far from perfect. But its a heck of a lot better than many other places one could land. As soon as someone finds the perfect place where all the dreams come true I'd be interested to hear where that might be - besides Disneyland.

It comes back to one thing: perspective.

That's not to say life in another state will necessarily be bad. It could in fact be better in some ways while worse in others. There is always a trade off bottom line. But for many of these whiners who blame CA for all their problems and woes, no matter how hard they try they cannot seem to escape their biggest problem -> themselves.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-08-2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I see, much more difficult to attain falls short of unattainable, so let me rewrite

"This is just not accurate, I am not sure what is "much more difficult to attain " in CA or the US today.

Seems to me, once again, 100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

So you changed both the tone and stance in your second reply after I clarified my statement.

Interesting.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There is a lot of truth in this. Ppl complain here about many things. Their plight is always someone (politicians, illegals, etc...) or something (stupid laws, etc...) elses fault but their own. Yet I wonder how these same folks would fair in the places like the South or Midwest or anywhere else for that matter. Look at the many states/areas devasted in Dixie Alley and Tornando Alley this year. Many of them lost it all including loved ones. Some lost their homes or businesses. Now add in the floods, harsh thunderstorms and swelting triple digit heat in many locations.

I have relatives who are picking up the pieces of a flooded basement right now in Denver after a huge deluge from back to back thunderstorms flooding their entire neighborhood. This is the second time they have sustained flood damage in last three years to the same home. A buddy of mine moved to Houston and can't stand it there. He can't wait to get back to the West Coast. The heat + humidity during these summer months along and many other factors make it a not so pleasant place, in spite of the cheaper cost of housing.

California is far from perfect. But its a heck of a lot better than many other places one could land. As soon as someone finds the perfect place where all the dreams come true I'd be interested to hear where that might be - besides Disneyland.

It comes back to one thing: perspective.

That's not to say life in another state will necessarily be bad. It could in fact be better in some ways while worse in others. There is always a trade off bottom line. But for many of these whiners who blame CA for all their problems and woes, no matter how hard they try they cannot seem to escape their biggest problem -> themselves.

Derek
That's some sweeping generalization there, Derek. Not everyone who complain about the way California is being run are blaming the state for all their problems. There are CA residents with legitimate problems that are impacted more negatively than others from the way the state legislature and Federal government are running the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California