Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:15 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
C'mon....people move to try to escape internal problems all the time, but that isn't what is driving people to California. Sometimes the grass is really greener on the other side, the sorts of opportunity that exist to someone in LA or the bay area are dramatically different than those that exist to someone in some small town in a redneck state. They may as well be on different planets...
We get it.

Republicans and their red states are evil. Since you're so predictable, there really is no need for you to chime in on threads anymore.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Leave it to you to make it a partisan issue out of nothing.
Out of nothing? Its not "nothing", the vast majority of the politicians that did the damage had R's by their name and these politicians were supported by the boomers. Are we suppose to imagine that its otherwise just for the sake of being "bipartisan"?

Quote:
Republicans and their red states are evil.
The comment you are quoting had nothing to do with Republicans or Republican controlled states, instead it was about the different opportunities available in different areas of the country.

Last edited by user_id; 07-09-2011 at 12:03 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Out of nothing? Its not "nothing", the vast majority of the politicians that did the damage had R's by their name and these politicians were supported by the boomers. Are we suppose to imagine that its otherwise just for the sake of being "bipartisan"?

The comment you are quoting had nothing to do with Republicans or Republican controlled states, instead it was about the different opportunities available in different areas of the country.

Like a moth to a flame.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:09 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Both sides are to blame. I don't think many would deny that tax and spend policies without any limits in sight have played a role in CA's current financial problems. There is no dark side and good side. Rather both parties contributed to the current state of the state. Thinking things are any one parties fault only is turning a blind eye to the real problems we face which transcend parties lines and political quick fix it for ya now catch phrases.

Derek

Old 07-09-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I don't think many would deny that tax and spend policies without any limits in sight have played a role in CA's current financial problems.
My previous comments were about national politics, not California. In terms of "tax and spend", that is just a dysphemism.

Anyhow, I don't think the situation in California is much different than the federal situation. Here too the Republicans have created the poor financial situation as a matter of strategy, namely, "starve the beast". The deficits for them is just a tool to force their ideological goals, get the state in enough red ink and it will be forced to roll-back its social model. The democrats have made numerous spending cuts in California, yet the Republicans refuse to entertain revenue increases. Why? Because its counter-productive to their underlying strategy.....starve the beast at all costs.

Thinking both sides are at fault is turning a blind eye to the real problem.....the Republican party.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:16 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
My previous comments were about national politics, not California. In terms of "tax and spend", that is just a dysphemism.
Thinking both sides are at fault is turning a blind eye to the real problem.....the Republican party.
If only things were so one dimensional and simple. Here's one of many examples which demonstrates they are not. Why do you think the president and his party couldn't get things accomplished the way they wanted when they were in control. Unfortunately life and politics aren't that simple. There are factions, infighting, self-serving agendas (ie - not in the people's interest), corruption, deception, etc... on both sides. Do you really think if eveyone in gov't was a Dem. all our problems would magically go away or be solved? Seriously? I know there are Republicans who naively think the same of their party. Unfortunately both are wrong.

If you really think simply having Dem. politicians in every office will solve all our problems here is something to ponder - Democrat politicians 3 times more corrupt than Republicans. = both sides have problems and the Dems are no exception to this rule.

I'll leave it at that because we are straying pretty far off the original topic. And if you are a dyed in the wool party liner I do not think there is much I or anyone could say which would sway you to see beyond one dimension.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-09-2011 at 01:52 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Why do you think the president and his party couldn't get things accomplished the way they wanted when they were in control.
Why? Filibuster. Plus they did get some things accomplished, in particular, the affordable health care act.

Quote:
Do you really think if eveyone in gov't was a Dem. all our problems would be magically go away or be solved? Seriously?
All the problems? No, the problems related to unemployment, the poor distribution of wealth, and huge government deficits on the other hand would be solved.

Quote:
causing some of the worst deadlocks we have seem in our Gov'ts history. No one wants to give an inch.
Firstly, why would you want to give an inch if its wrong? Just so you can be "bipartisan"? Secondly, one side has given many inches and another side has given none.

Republicans will not agree to any significant revenue increases, why? Because they are ruthlessly trying to starve the beast, they have no intention of reducing the government deficit, they want larger deficits as that is the only way they will be able to achieve their political goals. They want to dismantle the social safety net, nothing more nothing less.

Anyhow, bipartisanship is vacuous, the Republican party and Democratic party are pursuing different and mutually exclusive goals. The Republicans are attempting to return the US to pre-1930 policies, that's just the fact of the matter. The Republican's primary goal since the 1930's has been to rollback the social safety net erected during the great depression and today they have a reasonable chance of doing it so long as they can starve the government of revenue, hence their primary political priority right now is not increasing revenue.

The Republicans are responsible for California's deficits, its part of their strategy and has been for awhile now...

Last edited by user_id; 07-09-2011 at 02:05 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 02:48 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
or driven the back roads so he wouldn't get weighed.
Once again, CA has a 40' kingpin to rear axle setting that makes it difficult to have weights up to 45k-46k in the trailer.
All other states I drive through, I don't have to worry about that kingpin setting, or the 55mph speed limit imposed just on semi-tractors here.

However, I take it neither yourself nor Fontucky have driven anything larger than a pickup truck with a toy-hauler attached so I'll leave it at that.

Anywho, it's not only CA I have a problem with doing my current job in, but all states along a coast.
You feel happy at work and it won't even feel like work at all!!!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Leave it to you to make it a partisan issue out of nothing.

Childish act on your part.
So you can play the blame game (blame all boomers now!!!!), but when he does it, it's "childish"?

Old 07-09-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
So you can play the blame game (blame all boomers now!!!!), but when he does it, it's "childish"?
The childish part I was referring to was his fixing my original quote to better suit his views. You at least should have read that part of the exchange again before typing your previous reply to me.

And if you have a disagreement with my general comment about baby boomers then start another thread topic about it instead trying to point out my hypocrisy and then failing miserably at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California