U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM

7 posts, read 6,559 times

Advertisements

I need some help on where in CA is
My beat option. Coming with a mate in April 2012 Looking
At doing a bit of traveling but doing some work
As well and have a good time obviously.
Any info on
Transport

Etc would be great

Cheers guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,932,032 times
To live?
ocean? mountains? desert?
Or to have a vacation?
California is a big state and it's diverse both culturally and naturally.
What are you wanting?
To have a vacation and to pick up odd jobs here and there?
I assume you are aware of the economic situation in CA and in the U.S. in general?
More is info needed for better replies.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:41 AM

Yeah. Looking for work initially as soon as we arrive so we can also find somewhere to live as a base to go off every month for a few weekend and see different parts of the country via car or plane. So somewhere to keep up entertained I gather wih the beach and a good music scene to keep busy at night. We will be 21 and 22 when we get there of that helps. Obviously have a bit of cash to get started on getting a job and then once we do that. Find a decent neighborhood to get a place. Is that a pratical plan in CA?
My buddy would be possibly looking at studying so that may force our location decision further more. Any feedback is help as it's overwhelming where to start ad u could imagine. Thank u so much for the reply

Old 06-29-2011, 11:51 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,723,254 times
You really need to narrow down what you're looking for. CA is a huge state. Maybe start by picking a major metro area and start looking from there. That's where the jobs and entertainment options will be. It's hard to give advice when there are too many unanswered questions.
Like I said, CA is huge and the lifestyle in Eureka isn't remotely similar to say San Francisco, which isn't remotely similar to Fresno, which isn't remotely similar to San Diego...make sense? I think a lot of people from other places only see CA as palm trees and beaches and have no idea how different some parts of the state are.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:08 PM

8,177 posts, read 11,060,504 times
Will you have legal permission to work? Like a green card?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,932,032 times
I'll assume then that you'll want to be on the coast and any place on the coast that you want to have as a base that will meet your criteria will be very expensive.
Craigslist is a good way to get a sense of the rental scene in any given community.
I don't know if it's a good resource for employment however.
And like someone else asked, will you have legal permission to work?
craigslist: santa cruz classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
I recommend either the Monterey Bay area (like Santa Cruz) or the San Francisco Bay area.
These two bay areas will place you in an ideal location to explore coasts to the north and to the south and to explore the Sierra range (for example Lake Tahoe, Yosemite).

Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 PM

574 posts, read 1,177,721 times
i recomend LA or other southern california cities

Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 AM

I do understand that CA is the 3rd largest in the states after texas and alaska and i have no real image painted aprat from what friends have told and pictures i have seen. I know its just overwhelming where to start as I have never been. I am pretty flexible and understand nothing works out how u want. Both MB area and SF area are ideally where I have thought about as it's not as close to LA which would mean it's less expensive yeah? Umm I would sort out the green card before I go, so I would have he option to work and be able to move around a bit. I am going to apply for a transfer with the hotel I work at now for a place over there which is a long stretch but I'll give it a go. Failing that I will save enough to apply for work over there just when I arrive. I also imagine that we will be able to know if anywhere is not suitable for us upon arriving. Does this seem un common for people to do or is it not that strange for foreigners to come and chill and work etc? Also are any of u from those areas that could help me out with more specific info on those places. Thanks so much guys for the replies. Appreciate it!!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:31 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,013,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamvirtue View Post
I do understand that CA is the 3rd largest in the states after texas and alaska and i have no real image painted aprat from what friends have told and pictures i have seen. I know its just overwhelming where to start as I have never been. I am pretty flexible and understand nothing works out how u want. Both MB area and SF area are ideally where I have thought about as it's not as close to LA which would mean it's less expensive yeah? Umm I would sort out the green card before I go, so I would have he option to work and be able to move around a bit. I am going to apply for a transfer with the hotel I work at now for a place over there which is a long stretch but I'll give it a go. Failing that I will save enough to apply for work over there just when I arrive. I also imagine that we will be able to know if anywhere is not suitable for us upon arriving. Does this seem un common for people to do or is it not that strange for foreigners to come and chill and work etc? Also are any of u from those areas that could help me out with more specific info on those places. Thanks so much guys for the replies. Appreciate it!!
#1 Get the green card if you can.
#2 Follow your job. If you can get work through a connection from your current job, then do it.
#3 Depending on where you work, look to the local suburbs in that nearby area.
#4 Try to live under your ability to earn because things are expensive out here. Los Angeles is considered 40% more expensive to live than the rest of the country on average.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the help RCCCB
That doesn't surprise me about LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California