U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,379 posts, read 7,932,405 times
Reputation: 6635

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgatoloco View Post
Go ahead and let the door hit your in the ass on the way out.
Update: May 12, 2010 California Loses 25% of Manufacturing Jobs Between 1990-2007, 129 Companies Leave.




Is there still a door?

You think the states broken now, just wait until another few million leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
 
Location: In Transition
1,632 posts, read 1,605,365 times
Reputation: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Thank you, don't let the door hit your in the ass on the way out.
Will the last person who's ass is hit by the door when they leave California please turn off the lights? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,422 posts, read 22,270,715 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Look, I've lived here all my life. (Majin?) I love this state, I don't love what it is becoming. We are the 9th largest GNP in the world and we have failing schools, wacko liberals running the government, arguably the worst Governor we ever had re-elected following the 2nd and 3rd worst governors. First Moonbeam fires all of the pro charter schoolboard members and replaces them with the same croanies (including the ex-superintendant FELON). Every city is having their share of political corruption. Bell, Oakland, Vernon, and the imbeciles handling our tax revenue is a joke. Most of them are democrats, the same ones that claim to hate big corporations and capitalism. They don't seem to have a problem stealing as opposed to earning the cash they hate so much.

Just a sampling of local news event:

San Diego Union Tribune Supervisors, opponents ended year with debt
San Francisco Chronicle Many Herrera staffers contribute to his campaign
Bloomberg Business Week Bell, California, Races Pit Out-of-Town Donor Against Unions
KCRA Sacramento Schwarzenegger Makes Last-Minute Appointments
San Francisco Chronicle Schwarzenegger hands out lucrative jobs on way out
L.A. Weekly Bernard Parks Was Targeted as Union Object Lesson
The Daily Breeze Zine may step down from LAX contract vote due to relationship with lobbyist
Ron Kayela Blog LA’s Man of the Year: Dennis Zine — Symbol of City Hall’s Deceit and Dishonor
Los Angeles Times Zine didn’t always recuse himself from votes involving lobbyist girlfriend
Los Angeles Daily News Special interests still find backers
Santa Cruz Sentinel Lobbyist-driven legislation continues unabated in Sacramento
San Jose Mercury News Good-government groups call for reforms after Mercury News investigation
Times-Standard Sponsored bills: Outside interests reign during dismal session in Sacramento
Bakersfield California EDITORIAL: Shine more light on lawmakers’ activity
Pasadena Weekly Breaking bread: Gifts to politicians attract new scrutiny
Sacramento Bee Viewpoints: State pension officials must be above reproach
CBS Sacramento 13 On The Money: Trade Secrets
ABC News 10 Legislative leaders approve raises for some staff
San Diego Union Tribune Horn’s development rights could increase
Los Angeles Times New state ethics watchdog may seek end to posting allegations of wrongdoing

I mean seriously... maybe a few years away from this would be good for the soul.
Good points but putting the blame solely on liberals is not accurate. San Diego's issues, and it has many are not caused by liberals. I would imagine several other cities on that list such as Bakersfield and Pasadena aren't either. These issues go much deeper than mere political philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,880,636 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
So let me get this right:
- We based our budget partially off taxing the Amazon Associates Program. The Associates program is simply online websites/businesses that imbed widgets and advertisements to Amazon products in their web page and then the business that imbeds the Amazon widget gets 15% of the revenue.

- California then planned to tax any sales that occured through the Associate based in California and use that as revenue to fill the budget gap.

- Instead Amazon retaliates and ends the program for California based businesses all together (there are 10,000 of these that partner with Amazon that may close)

- Californians still get their Amazon stuff and can buy it online, but do so from an associate online that is not based in California and we get no tax.

- California web businesses that were in the Associates Program lose revenue, fire some people, and contribute to unempoloyment.

- California gained no tax revenue because Amazon refused to sell

-----Am I right about this???? Seems like this just makes the budget problems even worse and people will just buy via an associate not based in California.
Pretty much sums it up .. But hey, the people who Californian's support don't see it this way.. No problem.. Californian's will just pay for their mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 PM
 
2,311 posts, read 2,880,636 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Update: May 12, 2010 California Loses 25% of Manufacturing Jobs Between 1990-2007, 129 Companies Leave.




Is there still a door?

You think the states broken now, just wait until another few million leave.
I've found the elusive door :


I'll be careful to help others not trip on it on the way out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,379 posts, read 7,932,405 times
Reputation: 6635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Good points but putting the blame solely on liberals is not accurate. San Diego's issues, and it has many are not caused by liberals. I would imagine several other cities on that list such as Bakersfield and Pasadena aren't either. These issues go much deeper than mere political philosophy.
I'm not placing the blame solely on liberals. Both sides are to blame for the ills of our situation. I blame greed more than anything else. It is the driving force behind all of the problems, regardless of political agenda. Unfortunately this state is in a Liberal stranglehold.

I found this stunning:


The exodus and influx of people to/from Los Angeles



San Francisco

Much in the same way we used to have white flight, these maps appear to be supporting conservative flight. Notice we have a very large influx from the most liberal areas of the country. The red (moving away) lines show a spread, some to the northwest but but mostly through the bible belt and midwest.

I have family who run walnut farms in Visalia and the farmers in the San Joaquin Valley (the central valley) have been screwed by the politics of northern Cali. Their water has been virtually shut off for political reasons.

I wonder if the people who came through the door are the ones saying to not let it hit me in the ass on the way out, seeing as how I was born here. What's another red line in the scheme of things.

Last edited by steven_h; 06-29-2011 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 PM
 
25,631 posts, read 30,314,036 times
Reputation: 23111
Once again to many libbers not getting that fact that no one is bashing California. Only the ****ing morons who are running it and their idiotic policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,422 posts, read 22,270,715 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I'm not placing the blame solely on liberals. Both sides are to blame for the ills of our situation. I blame greed more than anything else. It is the driving force behind all of the problems, regardless of political agenda. Unfortunately this state is in a Liberal stranglehold.

I found this stunning:


The exodus and influx of people to/from Los Angeles



San Francisco

Much in the same way we used to have white flight, these maps appear to be supporting conservative flight. Notice we have a very large influx from the most liberal areas of the country. The red (moving away) lines show a spread, some to the northwest but but mostly through the bible belt and midwest.

I have family who run walnut farms in Visalia and the farmers in the San Joaquin Valley (the central valley) have been screwed by the politics of northern Cali. Their water has been virtually shut off for political reasons.

I wonder if the people who came through the door are the ones saying to not let it hit me in the ass on the way out, seeing as how I was born here. What's another red line in the scheme of things.
I've seen these maps before and you do bring up some good points and thanks for not being passive aggressive about it as well.

What I really see going on here is a problem being created that's much bigger than California. This map shows that California is becoming more and more liberal. It also indicates that the conservative areas are becoming more conservative as well. This relocation could very well be at least partly responsible for the overwhelming polarization the country is undergoing right now. The blue states have problems as they get bluer. Likewise, the red states will too. Different problems quite likely but problems all the same. It's never good when any political entity becomes too liberal or too conservative. When one has absolute majority over the other, corruption is almost inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 5,369,691 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
- We based our budget partially off taxing the Amazon Associates Program. The Associates program is simply online websites/businesses that imbed widgets and advertisements to Amazon products in their web page and then the business that imbeds the Amazon widget gets 15% of the revenue.
-----Am I right about this???? Seems like this just makes the budget problems even worse and people will just buy via an associate not based in California.
No, its not taxing the Associates program. Its collecting a sales tax on purchases like a store.

A California resident by law owes a state use tax on products bought out of state or on the internet. The use tax is generally on the same products as the state sales tax.
Your Use Tax Responsibility - Board of Equalization (http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqusetax.htm#11 - broken link)

Since Californians are basically cheating on taxes by not declaring their online purchases on their income tax returns, the state wants Amazon and other pure online retailers to collect the sales tax just like a physical store in the state would.

I guess the state can always just increase the number of tax audits and collect the sales tax revenue that way since people don't declare it and Amazon et al won't collect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,715 posts, read 18,360,102 times
Reputation: 6416
Its ashame but you people voted for that clown jerry brown. History does repeat itself with that loser. I wonder how many goody two shoes do report online & out of state purchases to the FTB ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top