Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A seemingly logical way to view this. However, in every day commerce, you wouldn't travel to Seattle to buy a $20 book. While in Seattle in any case, you would pay sales tax at the point of purchase.

The internet sale across state lines avoids paying sales tax anywhere. Seattle doesn't get it, California doesn't get it (nor Texas).

I hate to think about the Feds trying to change this. The money would inevitably end up in Washington and there is no way it would be allocated correctly. Somehow - the states should get together and agree on a uniform way to do this. But that seems unlikely too - since each state is fighting with each other to attract/keep businesses.
Also highly unlikely as there are federal laws which govern interstate commerce which states have no superseding power to subvert. So, they can get creative all they want in ways of trying to 'snag' internet businesses but so long as there is that federal law they all can just go pound sand ...

As someone already stated, the money is already taxed ...
I get taxed out the ying yang when I make the money by the state...
They tax the other guy on his profits when he makes the money from me...
and they go ahead and tax me to spend my money.. if no more money was made today and there were only transactions, money would literally be taxed out of existence...

For all the injustice people are ranting about in respect to internet companies not being taxed.. they are taxed a hellavuh lot .. as is most money.. sorry for not having sympathy for near 50-60% effective tax rates after state/federal is done w/ every dollar spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Brown is something else. Is he mentally challenged ? I also hate that vehicle registrations will increase $12.00 but the liars, thieves & whores say its not a tax increase but a fee. UGH !!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Brown is something else. Is he mentally challenged ? I also hate that vehicle registrations will increase $12.00 but the liars, thieves & whores say its not a tax increase but a fee. UGH !!!!!!!
He's not challenged.. He like other politicians at the Federal/State level just do wtf they want.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:10 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,064 times
Yes, mine was cancelled too. Thank you, Jerry Brown, and the legion of numbskulls who elected him.

I suppose in a way this will take the sting out of tax time when they take away 50% of my income just for being a small business. No more sting, no more income. Ouch! I guess the only justice is no more taxes for them.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Yes, mine was cancelled too. Thank you, Jerry Brown, and the legion of numbskulls who elected him.

I suppose in a way this will take the sting out of tax time when they take away 50% of my income just for being a small business. No more sting, no more income. Ouch! I guess the only justice is no more taxes for them.
I really didn't like the thought of Meg Whitman being governor, but I guarantee she would have brought internet business into the state rather than scaring it off.

BTW... TODAY Brown will also be signing into law a bill that forces all public schools in Cali to teach about gay history. One CA rep just claimed that Harvey Milk was just as important as Dr. Martin Luther King! The rep went on to say that teaching about homosexuality and transexuality is as important as the 3 Rs. This will include all grades from kindergarten up, so they will be indoctrinating five year olds. I just about fell over in disbelief. When they teach about the accomplishments of great men in history it should be based what they did they did, not how they practiced sex (who they did). This is getting out of control.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Amazon told me they will start collecting sales tax as of july 1st 2011. Does Ebay collect sales tax as well & what websites dont ?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I've got extra popcorn !!! and I like to share
Awesome, I'll bring the melted butter (low salt of course)

Old 06-30-2011, 12:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Amazon told me they will start collecting sales tax as of july 1st 2011. Does Ebay collect sales tax as well & what websites dont ?
eBay doesn't sell anything directly. You're buying from an individual or company.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Somehow - the states should get together and agree on a uniform way to do this. But that seems unlikely too - since each state is fighting with each other to attract/keep businesses.
Being worked on via the Streamlined Sales Tax.
Streamlined sales tax
I think it is now at 23 or 24 states that have ratified agreements to follow this if Congress changes the law to let states make out of state companies collect sales taxes.

California has a bill to ratify this program but has not passed it yet.

Amazon claims, at least publicly, that they support this solution.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,791 times
I'll be curious to see what the courts do with it, up to now they've been pretty consistent about the business presence rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California