Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 15,332 times

Advertisements

Also need a place where there is easy access to public transportation. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,488 times
Catalina Island or maybe Santa Cruz....but neither is directly comparable to Key West.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
There's nothing like that in Alta California. Closest would be down in Baja.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the replies! Any input on San Diego area? What about Ocean Beach?

Old 07-17-2011, 10:44 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsterling527 View Post
Thanks for the replies! Any input on San Diego area? What about Ocean Beach?
Can you be more specific? In which ways?

Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 PM

Ocean Beach is a neighborhood in San Diego. A large city.

Key West is a small city on an island.

I agree with MtnSurfer. You need to spell out what aspects of Key West you are looking for.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Hi. Thanks for the responses! What i particularly loved about key west, and jamaica is of course that caribbean feel. Not expecting that, but want to live near the beach, warm weather is completely important to me. Have lived in Oregon all my life and cant take another winter. Social and cultural tolerance is very important. Particularly like the idea of living near a marina, with open air restaurants, and outside music. I also like the idea of living in a specific neighborhood, within a city. Like to know my neighbors and a tourist area where I would meet people from all over would be great. Thats why I was thinking San Diego. Sounds like the little cities that make up SD have unique characteristics, and definite borders? So, trying to get inside info about the different areas. Cant tell you how much I appreciate the insights....

Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 PM

Of course, you realize So.Calif. is NOT even remotely tropical. The ocean water is warmer than Oregon but still very cold. See this thread below. So. Fla or Hawaii might be a better fit for you if you want that tropical flavor.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...r-so-cold.html

As for California, San Diego does have a laid back beach town flavor. Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach (neighbrhooods in San Diego) are worth a visit to see if they match what you want.

Of course, San Diego is laid back but its politics & culture have always been more conservative than LA or San Francisco. Key West has always had an independent streak. S.D. is laid back surfer types but less esoteric than Key West or San Francisco.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
The Castro...................................
on a hot day.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:09 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsterling527 View Post
Hi. Thanks for the responses! What i particularly loved about key west, and jamaica is of course that caribbean feel. Not expecting that, but want to live near the beach, warm weather is completely important to me. Have lived in Oregon all my life and cant take another winter. Social and cultural tolerance is very important. Particularly like the idea of living near a marina, with open air restaurants, and outside music. I also like the idea of living in a specific neighborhood, within a city. Like to know my neighbors and a tourist area where I would meet people from all over would be great. Thats why I was thinking San Diego. Sounds like the little cities that make up SD have unique characteristics, and definite borders? So, trying to get inside info about the different areas. Cant tell you how much I appreciate the insights....
If you want Key West, then you need to go to Key West. California may seem Florida like cosmetically but it's nothing like Fl. at all. Anyway within the San Diego area, the closest possible thing is Coronado. Check out the Hotel Del Coronado and the adjacent beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California