U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,247 times

Advertisements

So I've done some research on city-data forums and have been compiling information regarding a lot of different aspects on this move. First off, I'm aware New York is a great place and I've lived there all my life but I need to try being out of my element. I'm 25 years old, hispanic male, and just acquired a great job that's based in Costa Mesa, I have one friend out there who lives in downtown LA (the art's district). So the first question is on commuting from downtown LA to costa mesa (which I've read could be between 1-2 hours each way), i know it's not 100% sane but is it so crazy, all the responses make it sound very intense? I like the idea of being in the city of LA more so than the OC. Second question would be if I decided to live closer to work, where in the OC would be a good place for a young, single guy from NY? Thirdly, does anyone have any general experience on a move like this (or this), I'd appreciate any insight or anecdotes. Thanks, this forum has been very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,801,440 times
What's your budget?

I am 99% sure you will be able to find something you like within a decent commute distance, as long as your budget isnt' too low. There are lots of happening places as well as quite suburban places within 10 miles of Costa Mesa.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,311,403 times
Like Charles asks "budget"..often that determines where you live. You do not want to commute from downtown LA to Costa Mesa. Often, people think long commutes can't be as bad as we make them sound, but they really are. Having a long horrible commute will change your life and not in a positive way.
I would suggest living close to work and then just go see your friend on the weekends or maybe during the week at times..but don't try to do the commute.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,308,030 times
Forget living in downtown LA. You will enjoy it much more visiting after work and on the weekends. You just need to go during non rush hour times and the drive won't be too bad (relatively speaking). A happy medium area might be to live in Long Beach, possible Belmont Shore. From LB you could be in downtown LA in not too long. Closer to Costa Mesa you could live in Huntington Beach or Fountain Valley (more suburbia).

Derek

Old 07-03-2011, 08:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,875,875 times
If you want something more urban, Long Beach is a lot closer but keep in mind that the AM traffic is very, very heavy south on the 405.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What's your budget?

I am 99% sure you will be able to find something you like within a decent commute distance, as long as your budget isnt' too low. There are lots of happening places as well as quite suburban places within 10 miles of Costa Mesa.
$1250 - 1450 would be a comfortable range, if I have to I could definitely go up to $1500 - 1600.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:16 PM

4,941 posts, read 6,328,319 times
One option is to live in Fullerton and commute to Costa Mesa. That would also make it a bit easier for you to travel to Downtown LA to see your friend during the week if you wanted, or for him to visit you.

You could get a place in Downtown Fullerton and then walk to the Fullerton Transportation Center for a direct train link to LA.

You might want to consider getting a short term rental, maybe with a roommate, to see if it works for you. It shouldn’t be hard to find a roommate because there are a lot of college students in the area. There’s also plenty of nightlife, relatively speaking, in the downtown area, but it's not close to being like NYC.

In fact, you’ll really have to adapt if you decide to live in either Long Beach or Huntington Beach, as well, because they are also very different from New York City. The first thing to do is not expect OC or LA to be anything like NYC.

Last edited by pacific2; 07-03-2011 at 08:36 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Thirdly, does anyone have any general experience on a move like this (or this), I'd appreciate any insight or anecdotes.
I moved here from Manhattan (Upper West Side), but I’m a lot older than you. You will experience culture shock, but that’s natural, and you will find yourself wondering why you ever made the move; but, resist the temptation to return without giving CA a fair try.

You’ll miss everything about Manhattan, the good and the bad, as you gradually carve out your own niche on the west coast. Your friends will help with this, so it’s good to stay in close contact with them.

After a while, believe it or not, you will start to appreciate things about California, like the good weather (NO SNOW!! ), comparatively low housing costs, relatively inexpensive food and natural beauty. Oh yeah, did I mention there's no snow?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,308,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
.... After a while, believe it or not, you will start to appreciate things about California, like the good weather (NO SNOW!! ), comparatively low housing costs, relatively inexpensive food and natural beauty. Oh yeah, did I mention there's no snow?
Unless you miss it. Then you can visit the snow, which is a quite different from living in it. Because you when you come home back to the beach its mild weather again (60s/70s).

The redwoods in the snow are really nice. Here is a shot from this Spring:

And if you snowboard or want to learn how there are many options in Big Bear and even better = Mammoth.

Derek

Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Unless you miss it. Then you can visit the snow, which is a quite different from living in it. Because you when you come home back to the beach its mild weather again (60s/70s).

The redwoods in the snow are really nice. Here is a shot from this Spring:

And you snowboard or want to learn how there are many options in Big Bear and even better = Mammoth.

Derek
Beautiful picture as usual! YEP! California is a huge state with a lot of options and wonderful areas to explore. You might even find yourself becoming less interested in restaurants/nightlife, if that's what you like, and more interested in sports and outdoor activities.

Last edited by pacific2; 07-03-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California