U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 PM

119 posts, read 264,537 times

Advertisements

I am totally against internet sales taxes - shouldn't there be ONE PLACE that isn't taxable by anybody? The CA internet tax is not going to raise nearly as much money as they think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 AM

457 posts, read 651,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
I forgot I had started this thread Anyway, it's not JUST the internet sales tax that the article talks about - it's the fact that many business are fleeing CA for more tax-friendly states, like Texas for instance. As one poster pointed out, CA still has the most start-ups of any state, but how many of those business are still going to be there 5 years from now?

As far as the website, I actually just discovered it last week. I am certainly not "right wing" or "left wing", I tend to be in the center. I am for "whatever works", and I just think that MOST GOVERNMENT LAWS OR POLICIES ACTUALLY HAVE THE OPPOSITE OF THE INTENDED EFFECT OF WHAT IT'S TRYING TO ACHIEVE. That's almost always been the case. (Little off-topic, but hey
One thing I will point out is that the rate of right wing articles saying that businesses are moving out of CA is greater than the rate of actually business moving out.

It also is probably true that some businesses are moving out of CA due to regulations/over taxation etc. But there are two things to wonder here:
1. What sort of businesses are moving - is it a mom and pop grocery/retail/hardware store ? If it is primarily those, then it really doesn't affect CA economy as the demand for such localized products will be met by another small business resulting in no net loss in jobs. However, if the business is something like Google moving its operations out, the impact is very different since those products are not localized and can be produced elsewhere

2. Is the rate of businesses moving greater than the rate of businesses being created?

3. Taxes and regulations are not the only, not even the primary driver for business re-locations. Think about the two fastest growing economies in this decade - China and India - they have the worst red tape, unpredictable business environment, funky regulations, big government situation. If you think CA taxation/regulation is bad, go and live in India where there is no transparency in governance and $40bn was stolen off the treasury a few months back. As much as right wing propaganda machine will try to make you believe that taxation/regulations are everything, business expansion, start-ups are driven much more by factors such as clusters, availability of high skilled talent/cheap labor, proximity to customers/supplier network etc.

This board has become tiresome with the same repeated rants and without the simple grasp of business decisions. It is a political board.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,653,690 times
There are 2.7 million corporations in California.

According to State records 200 corporations left the state in 2010. Pretty insignificant.

I do have a problem with this, how can we increase the number of corporations and attendant employees that leave the state?

If we could figure out how to get 2/3s of the population to leave, that would be a plus, leave the state for those who like wide open spaces.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 AM

5,113 posts, read 4,951,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
One thing I will point out is that the rate of right wing articles saying that businesses are moving out of CA is greater than the rate of actually business moving out.

It also is probably true that some businesses are moving out of CA due to regulations/over taxation etc. But there are two things to wonder here:
1. What sort of businesses are moving - is it a mom and pop grocery/retail/hardware store ? If it is primarily those, then it really doesn't affect CA economy as the demand for such localized products will be met by another small business resulting in no net loss in jobs. However, if the business is something like Google moving its operations out, the impact is very different since those products are not localized and can be produced elsewhere

2. Is the rate of businesses moving greater than the rate of businesses being created?

3. Taxes and regulations are not the only, not even the primary driver for business re-locations. Think about the two fastest growing economies in this decade - China and India - they have the worst red tape, unpredictable business environment, funky regulations, big government situation. If you think CA taxation/regulation is bad, go and live in India where there is no transparency in governance and $40bn was stolen off the treasury a few months back. As much as right wing propaganda machine will try to make you believe that taxation/regulations are everything, business expansion, start-ups are driven much more by factors such as clusters, availability of high skilled talent/cheap labor, proximity to customers/supplier network etc.

This board has become tiresome with the same repeated rants and without the simple grasp of business decisions. It is a political board.
I like how you respond with a politcal liberal spin and then you accuse the board of being political.

This board is about California and the hot topics currently in our state are about taxes, jobs, businesses leaving and the declining economy.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 PM

12 posts, read 22,313 times
I think there are some problems with sales tax, but since local governments demand to be independent they have to effect some sort of revenue. The problem with trying to enforce a localized consumption tax on Internet purchases is a pure nightmare. People can easily hide where they live, and to ensure it would work would require delivery watchdogs.

If sales tax is going to be done online, it will be a disaster because counties have varying degrees of sales tax. Coding it is a difficulty. This simply cannot be done effectively and fairly yet, so I think it would be a good idea to wait another five years if you want to do it in a localized way.

OR, a consumption tax on internet prices could be paid by the business, but not the consumer so it is always correct. OR it could be a national tax since it is a national issue. Either way, not this year. Coding nightmare. Too easy to skeeve by. Not something to be done with some flight of fancy. California needs to hit up some programmers first to see if it feasible to do without fraud, and then ask how the system could be set up.

Because they can't target one business, they have to target them all. And the problem is, is that internet businesses are in numerous locations, so it seems to be that localities should tax the business to ignore those problems. But... sales tax would not work in states without Internet businesses years down the road.

Geez, I can't think of how this would even work. Not right now, it's impossible without significant planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or