Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 04:27 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
When people from Phoenix post articles from right-wing propaganda sites....yes it is.
The publication clearly has a right wing orientation, however the author of this particular article is a PhD and teaches at a California college.

So, he isn't someone who has no background in the area, and can critically discuss the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 PM

253 posts, read 349,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Which must be the reason why more new start up companies are formed in California every year than in any other state

Per capita?

I actually ask in honest interest b/c I can not find "the data" (not just blog posts) to support your assertion.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
This may be considered a blog, but the reach for the data is contained in it.

Is California still the startup capital of the U.S.? | California Watch

Old 07-09-2011, 08:03 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Which must be the reason why more new start up companies are formed in California every year than in any other state

How many of those "start ups companies" are consultants (aka laid off white collar workers)?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:06 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,139 times
I heard about that new law, like taxing you for stuff that you buy on amazon. So let me get this straight, not having to pay for sales tax on amazon, but having to pay shipping cancels itself out in my eyes. Now California wants us to pay shipping and sales tax? I don't get too mad at the political crap, but this one did catch my attention, bs.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cava1990 View Post
how many of those "start ups companies" are consultants (aka laid off white collar workers)?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Looks like old Jerry Brown and his crony liberal legislators are on a roll with passing bill after bill that is bad for California business and consumer confidence. At this rate the state economy will collapse before the next gubernatorial election. Jerry must be taking lessons from Obama.

Our politicians are idiots

Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,883 times
This was the most obviously stupid law passed in a long time. Amazon was kind even to tell CA IN ADVANCE of passing this law they would stop doing business with all the affiliates and not collect sales tax on CA purchases. So not only does Amazon STILL not collect sales tax, CA loses all the income tax, sales tax and economic buying power of former Amazon affiliates.

Furthermore they actually marked money in the budget from Amazon collecting sales tax, despite them telling CA they would not collect it. Just LOL.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Now California wants us to pay shipping and sales tax? I don't get too mad at the political crap, but this one did catch my attention, bs.
Now? California, like other states, has required people to pay sales tax on out-of-state internet purchases since the internet has been around. Its called "use tax"....the problem is that few pay it.

Anyhow, tax-free internet transactions aren't going to last, within the next few years online businesses will be charging sales tax for anybody that is in a state with sales tax.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:20 PM

63 posts, read 116,070 times
Quote:
lol and how many of those start up companies will fail in the first year?

Before you answer highnlite, let me guess, 49?

As for the original post, California is not the only state to have a Sales Use Tax. This has actually been in affect in many states for a long time, they just never enforced it. It also isn't only for internet purchases, it's for all purchases made out of state to be used within the state of residence. It's typically a tax that they have been trying to get residents to be honest about since 2007 (have an old tax return? look for the space to add in your out-of-state purchases). "California Use Tax law became effective on July 1, 1935. Section 6201 of the Revenue and Taxation Code established the use tax to eliminate the price disadvantage of California businesses when California consumers purchase taxable merchandise from out-of-state retailers."

As For AZ; "The purpose of a use tax is to prevent the avoidance of sales tax made possible by purchasing tangible property from out-of-state vendors. Such purchasing habits put in-state vendors at a disadvantage and leads to loss of revenue for the state. Arizona's use tax was enacted in 1955 to "protect sellers in the state of Arizona from inequities that would result without a use tax.""

The above quote is from the Financial Services Office at the University of Arizona. Here's a link to the page (http://www.fso.arizona.edu/tax/AZ_Sales_and_%20Use_Tax_Facts.pdf - broken link).

So, the issue isn't a democrat/republican one, California just decided to be a bit more proactive in it's pursuit of what has been rightfully its by law since 1935. The Governor of CA in 1935 was Republican, I don't know about the Representatives or Congressman, but CA was a fairly conservative state back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California