U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:50 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,653,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Right because the Democrats in Texas are magical people where as the Democrats in California are all evil trolls....

So, when ya moving back to Texas again?
None of the above is accurate. I would not call the Texas Dems magical and I don't see the CA Dems as evil trolls...

I'm here to stay for a little while baby...they pay me and my partner very well for our professions.

Actually you should thank us for pulling the weight in taxes that the majority don't pay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:53 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,613,082 times
Quote:
Actually you should thank us for pulling the weight in taxes that the majority don't pay!
Perhaps you can tell us who doesn't pay taxes, and how they manage not to.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 AM

63 posts, read 97,336 times
There are still several fine states that don't charges sales or use tax: AK, OR, MT, NH and DE. If you don't like CA taxes, feel free to move. Keep in mind, though, that what you save in sales tax will be made up for in property and income taxes.

If you really want to dodge the taxman Idaho and Alaska have some great property where no one will ever find you. You'll have to give up all the comforts of a town and go Grizzly Adams, but hey, it's worth not giving any money to the gov't, right?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 AM

5,113 posts, read 4,925,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoNative View Post
There are still several fine states that don't charges sales or use tax: AK, OR, MT, NH and DE. If you don't like CA taxes, feel free to move. Keep in mind, though, that what you save in sales tax will be made up for in property and income taxes.

If you really want to dodge the taxman Idaho and Alaska have some great property where no one will ever find you. You'll have to give up all the comforts of a town and go Grizzly Adams, but hey, it's worth not giving any money to the gov't, right?
It always amazes me that some fellow Californians, knowing Californians are among the highest taxed in the nation, knowing that California is ranked one of the worst for business environment, and known for corrupt politicians who are in the pocket of big public unions ... are tickled pink to be proud of all this, welcomes more tax on Californians and tells the sane responsible Californians who question all the corruption and anti-business ... to leave the state. It's no wonder why California is in such terrible shape.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,386,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I'm here to stay for a little while baby...they pay me and my partner very well for our professions.

I'd rather they just socialize the California medical system and send ya'll packing.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:24 AM

63 posts, read 97,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
It always amazes me that some fellow Californians, knowing Californians are among the highest taxed in the nation, knowing that California is ranked one of the worst for business environment, and known for corrupt politicians who are in the pocket of big public unions ... are tickled pink to be proud of all this, welcomes more tax on Californians and tells the sane responsible Californians who question all the corruption and anti-business ... to leave the state. It's no wonder why California is in such terrible shape.
I'm not disputing you on any of your points, I'm a moderate conservative who is disgusted by many of our public officials. But the fact is, the use tax was put on our tax books in 1935, before my grandparents were even married. It was nearly impossible to enforce up until the internet age. It was added to the tax law during a republican administration (I know, what were they thinking?) Well, it was backed by businesses to keep people from shopping out of state, to keep the money in the local economy. It was the Great Depression, there was incentive for keeping the money local.

The California Constitution allows the voters in the state to vote on this, to repeal it. If it hasn't already begun, I suppose you could start a grassroots campaign to collect signatures to get it on the ballot. I'm afraid that it wouldn't pass the election, though. All the proponents would have to do is bring up how much of our money is already going to out of state/country manufacturers "keep California's money in California". You'd have to have some really good PR. But I guess it would be worth a try.

And despite its legal quirkiness, I do really like this state. It's doing a lot better than Colorado (where I'm from), and if I get tired of it, I'm very comfortable in the Pacific Northwest. As far as telling the sane, responsible Californians to leave the state, it was just a suggestion, since I don't see an alternative other than voting out the Dems with whom people are unhappy. Since I have lived in several states (OR CA NV UT CO TX) for me moving isn't a problem. I fit right in where ever I go. And moving to where the grass may be perceived as greener shouldn't be a problem for anyone else. You have to ask yourself, what really keeps you here?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoNative View Post
I'm not disputing you on any of your points, I'm a moderate conservative who is disgusted by many of our public officials. But the fact is, the use tax was put on our tax books in 1935, before my grandparents were even married. It was nearly impossible to enforce up until the internet age. It was added to the tax law during a republican administration (I know, what were they thinking?) Well, it was backed by businesses to keep people from shopping out of state, to keep the money in the local economy. It was the Great Depression, there was incentive for keeping the money local.

The California Constitution allows the voters in the state to vote on this, to repeal it. If it hasn't already begun, I suppose you could start a grassroots campaign to collect signatures to get it on the ballot. I'm afraid that it wouldn't pass the election, though. All the proponents would have to do is bring up how much of our money is already going to out of state/country manufacturers "keep California's money in California". You'd have to have some really good PR. But I guess it would be worth a try.

And despite its legal quirkiness, I do really like this state. It's doing a lot better than Colorado (where I'm from), and if I get tired of it, I'm very comfortable in the Pacific Northwest. As far as telling the sane, responsible Californians to leave the state, it was just a suggestion, since I don't see an alternative other than voting out the Dems with whom people are unhappy. Since I have lived in several states (OR CA NV UT CO TX) for me moving isn't a problem. I fit right in where ever I go. And moving to where the grass may be perceived as greener shouldn't be a problem for anyone else. You have to ask yourself, what really keeps you here?
California is my home, born and raised. California is where we raised our kids and now where our grandchildren are being raised. Except for military service I have always lived here and have always held a job since the age of 16. I have been at my current company for over 34 years and progressed from entry level to an engineering management position. I have never received unemployment, welfare or any social service hand out. I have always paid my taxes and bills and never once defaulted or went to collection. You would think I'm the kind of citizen California wants to keep but in the past decade California liberals has done everything possible to get rid of people like me. Why ... because I'm conservative and California liberals hate conservatives with a passion. So I ask myself ... why do I stay? I've been thinking about that question a lot lately.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:47 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,386,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
You would think I'm the kind of citizen California wants to keep but in the past decade California liberals has done everything possible to get rid of people like me. Why ... because I'm conservative and California hates conservatives.
California hates, at least as a whole, conservatism and what it results in nobody hates the people themselves... Last time I checked liberals weren't rioting in conservative cities to keep people to leave....

Leaving is a great idea though! I hear Texas is great this time of year.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:09 PM

30,455 posts, read 33,242,202 times
California doesn't hate conservatives and isn't trying to get rid of anyone. Geeze, the rhetoric!

California is pretty darned conservative in many areas.

People like to feel persecuted when they see things they don't like. But the truth is whatever you see, someone isn't going to like it.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
California hates, at least as a whole, conservatism and what it results in nobody hates the people themselves... Last time I checked liberals weren't rioting in conservative cities to keep people to leave....

Leaving is a great idea though! I hear Texas is great this time of year.
You know what ... I have not changed my beliefs, views, or morals over my lifetime. My conservative characteristics came from being raised in California by my mom and dad. Back in the 70's, 60's, 50's and before then, the conservative lifestyle (republicans and democrats) was the norm. People today would call the democrats of that era conservatives. Back then people went to church on Sundays, people raised their kids to be responsible adults in life, and people had pride in America and would fight for American freedom. We have not changed. The progressive liberal movement didn't exist back then. Today's progressive liberal movement is not the democrats from yesteryear. The progressive liberal movement is hell bent on changing our society which has led to a great divide in American society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or