Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Sorry, I don't follow, its rather easy to use statistical models to adjust achieve scores in relation to some set of variables (e.g., socioeconomic status, etc)...
True. Let's take college Basketball, for example. African Americans are disproportionately represented among the ranks of college teams. We could use a statistical model to adjust the performance of rich white folks so they would be more appropriately represented on those teams. Ditto for sprinters in track and field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Yes, just not enough to actually fully fund your benefits. You're a taker of government revenue, yet you think you're a contributor. Its odd.... Paradoxically, you'll post numerous negative posts if California tries to raise revenue to actually pay for all its inflated obligations, yet you'd be similarly outraged if California cut your welfare check. As always, everyone wants the $$ but nobody wants to pay for it.
Clearly your span of reading as well as your reading comprehension could use some real assistance. If a contributory pension is "welfare" in your eyes then doubtless you'll never participate in one nor draw any benefits and will likely end up on the dole.

Since you have no idea what I did in and for the state, your attempt to belittle my contribution to its residents is a clear sign of not just your ignorance but the truth that there is no percentage in attempting to discuss anything with a complete cretin woefully lacking in life experience.

Now I believe you're past due for your milk, cookies and nap!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:15 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
True. Let's take college Basketball, for example. African Americans are disproportionately represented among the ranks of college teams. We could use a statistical model to adjust the performance of rich white folks so they would be more appropriately represented on those teams. Ditto for sprinters in track and field.
Are you even trying to make a serious argument? There is no analogy here, access to higher education is critical to social mobility, on the other hand being on a basketball team is not.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If a contributory pension is "welfare" in your eyes then doubtless you'll never participate in one nor draw any benefits and will likely end up on the dole.
The comment about welfare is referring to part of your benefits that exceed your contribution, as you should know your pension benefits are not fully funded and if your benefits aren't cut the tax payer is going to have to make up the difference at some point in the future. This is not to mention the union derived inflated salary you received while you were receiving a salary.

State employees are receiving more "free cheese" than any ghetto kids, yet the stereotypical welfare queens are supposedly low-income Hispanics, blacks, etc. Strange world....

Old 07-10-2011, 02:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
State employees are receiving more "free cheese" than any ghetto kids, yet the stereotypical welfare queens are supposedly low-income Hispanics, blacks, etc. Strange world....
::::sigh:::: A significant differentiation obviously totally lost on you (why amd I not surprised?). State employees actually work for their "chese."

The only thing strange is your complete and utter lack of common sense.

Now once again, I'm done with you. You're a waste of time and band width.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
State employees actually work for their "chese."
No, they work for part of their income and benefits, the other parts were extorted by public unions and this portion of their income/benefits is essentially middle-class welfare. So I guess middle-class welfare is good, but welfare for the poor is bad? Hmm.... Maybe you should send back 20% of your benefits each month? Ya know...in fairness to the tax payers and all.

I lack common-sense? Thank you, its almost always wrong!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:28 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
This won't stand up in Court. The voters were clear with prop 209.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,421 times
How will the affect the enrollment opportunities of Asian kids from middle and upper class families?

Why do Affirmative Action advocates refer only to rich white kids?

What are the chances of a student with inferior academic credentials graduating from a college, let alone one that has higher-than-average academic standards?

Where are the stats that show the attrition rate of students admitted based on racial or economic favoritism v. those admitted based only on their academic credentials?

How many better-academically-qualified students will lose their enrollment to an less-academically-qualified student because the latter is given preference based on race or culture?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
How will the affect the enrollment opportunities of Asian kids from middle and upper class families?

Why do Affirmative Action advocates refer only to rich white kids?

What are the chances of a student with inferior academic credentials graduating from a college, let alone one that has higher-than-average academic standards?

Where are the stats that show the attrition rate of students admitted based on racial or economic favoritism v. those admitted based only on their academic credentials?

How many better-academically-qualified students will lose their enrollment to an less-academically-qualified student because the latter is given preference based on race or culture?
If you ever worked in admissions and were privy to the close proximity of qualifications between one applicant and another for which affirmative action or just campus diversity played a part in their admission you wouldn't be asking such questions... The academic different is negligible.. There are many criterion used for admission... At the high ranking University I attended there were interviews.. Mine lasted 2-3 hours .. It was w/ a fellow alumni .. Beyond the academic record, they wanted diversity and they wanted people w/ drive and passion ...The alumni feedback played a heavy part in admissions... So, beyond your grades and goofy SAT score, a lot of other things mattered... This creates for a diverse and amazing campus experience. If you aren't capable, you typical wont make it past freshman year... At least from what I could tell from the University i attended... I saw black, white, japanese, korean, Cambodian, chinese, indian people all flunk out the same..

At a private University they could give a rats arse about what you think about their admission practices.. It works, they have their reputation to protect and they do a good job out of it.... and the experience they create is reflected on by the student body... I loved the diversity and wouldn't have it any other way.. Attending a University where everyone looks the same might sound exciting to some people but I definitely wouldn't want to be caught dead at one.. The world is full of a diverse set of people.. If I didn't go to school w/ a good diverse group, I'd feel the the only one disadvantaged was me.

People are acting like they are letting minorities w/ F's into the top Universities whereas its maybe two students w/ all the same stats and the preference is given to the minority... Or.. something like same grades/drive/etc .. sat score .. 1370/1600 (minority) .. 1500/1600 (non-minority) .. preference to minority...

You might think 1370 vs. 1500 is going to make a difference but trust me it doesn't.. I've seen eggheads w/ 1600's flunk out of their major (disqualified due to GPA) by end of freshman year. Let the people who know what they're doing do what they do... One of the reasons I am glad I attended a private school.. They didn't have to deal w/ half the garbage these public schools get railed for.

P.S - I dont agree w/ user_id at all on a lot of things but he's making strong points backed by reason/facts/data on this thread.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 07-12-2011 at 01:54 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,775 times
Quote:
Trying to help disadvantaged groups is the worst form of discrimination?
Who's disadvantaged?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California