Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Yep. I will openly say that there as Asians who are racially discriminatory towards others.

But I deny that racism is exclusive to Asian groups only, just like I deny that African Americans are not racists. Just because I see one African American being racial discriminatory to someone doesn't mean the entire African American group are racists.

I had a diverse childhood while growing up on the coast. Some of my good friends had parents who are both Asian and African Americans.

But getting back to the original thread topic, AA has outlived its usefulness, IMO. It was sorely needed back then during an era where racial discriminatory was prominent. I'm one of those who believe it was justified back then, but should've been tapered off. Instead of instituting AA, we should be focusing on the other side of the education system where every student enrolled in preschool and K-12 should have equal opportunity. But there will always be cases where students will perform better due to parental involvement.

If some institution or company wants to hire me because of AA policy, I will reject it. I don't want an handout at the expense of another qualified applicant.
Racism coupled w/ position of power...Don't forget that important detail ...
It's kind of hard to inflict damage w/ your racist views when you have no power... OFC we all are.. Not all of us are in a position of power though to impact 'opportunity' for others. If Purple were the dominant race in America and their racist views impacted opportunity for others, the same would apply.

No its not just Asians who are racists .. I just thought I'd point that tidbit out as the bay area of full of them.. Namely, recent immigrants and 1st gen immigrants... They harbor a lot of racism... It takes them time to get past such ignorant views...

The civil rights movement wasn't too long ago .. It was in 1955-1968.. My grandma (god rest her soul) was able to tell me about people getting hosed down and beaten.. People act like this occurred 200 years ago. My dad can tell me vivid stories about direct racism he encountered in the work place and school...
How long do you think it takes for a people to rebuild themselves after you have systematically destroyed their culture/identity and systematically prevented them access to opportunity..? I have living relatives who were beaten ..

I had a diverse childhood as well. Some of my good friends' parents are both Asian/African, white/black, hispanic/black, etc.. People in my family are as well...

So back on topic ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...5%E2%80%931968)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desegregation
Here's some pictures for you :

http://brassinews.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/civil.jpg (broken link)

The civil rights movement was 43-56 years ago... You have people still alive who lived through this time... What 'usefuleness' are you talking about that doesn't exist for a generation still impacted by this? What 'usefuleness' are you talking about when a society of people don't understand the damming impacts of culture/identity assassination? and figures a people who were enslaved and who were treated as 2nd rate citizens in recent history should just rise up?

Back then? LOL, my dad was alive during the civil rights movement .. and the garbage after the resolution of it lasted long into the 70's and 80's .. right about when I was born. What do you mean 'back then'?

Handout.. LOL, hand a 'people' back their identity and a my parents a check for the sh*t they went through. Oh wait, AA tries to do that to some extent...

I am often shocked w/ some of my friends come off the mouth and are like .. Why are 'x' people so 'y'. I tell them to go pick up a history book ... Maybe they might learn something.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 07-12-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Because people seem to have no concept of time and knowledge of history here ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...5%E2%80%931968)

Affirmative action - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Origins

The term "affirmative action" was first used in the United States. It first appeared in Executive Order 10925, which was signed by President John F. Kennedy on March 6, 1961, and it was used to refer to measures to achieve non-discrimination. In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued Executive Order 11246 which required federal contractors to take "affirmative action" to hire without regard to race, religion and national origin. In 1968, gender was added to the anti-discrimination list.[2] Matching procedures in other countries are also known as reservation in India, positive discrimination in the United Kingdom, and employment equity in Canada.
[edit]Purpose

Affirmative action is an attempt to promote equal opportunity. It is often instituted in government and educational settings to ensure that minority groups within a society are included in all programs. The justification for affirmative action is to compensate for past discrimination, persecution or exploitation by the ruling class of a culture,[3] and to address existing discrimination.[4] The implementation of affirmative action, especially in the United States, is justified by disparate impact.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
How long do you think it takes for a people to rebuild themselves after you have systematically destroyed their culture/identity and systematically prevented them access to opportunity..? I have living relatives who were beaten ..

I am often shocked w/ some of my friends come off the mouth and are like .. Why are 'x' people so 'y'. I tell them to go pick up a history book ... Maybe they might learn something.
Good advice to your friends. I hope you take it as well.

As for "rebuilding," why don't you ask my relatives who survived. You have living relatives who were beaten. I have living relatives who were also beaten, starved, tattooed and worse. I also have seven relatives I know of who were killed - gassed, baked, whatever you wish to call it. It was known by most as the Holocaust. To the victims it's known as the Shoa.

Strange thing, the bulk of the survivors did just that, they survived, many prospered and very few let the events of the past drag them down or their progeny either.

People can cry, wallow in their misery and use the past as an excuse for the failures of today or they can swear to "never forget" and get on with their lives and the business of making better ones for their children. Excuses are easy to make. Successes are a bit more difficult.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Good advice to your friends. I hope you take it as well.

As for "rebuilding," why don't you ask my relatives who survived. You have living relatives who were beaten. I have living relatives who were also beaten, starved, tattooed and worse. I also have seven relatives I know of who were killed - gassed, baked, whatever you wish to call it. It was known by most as the Holocaust. To the victims it's known as the Shoa.

Strange thing, the bulk of the survivors did just that, they survived, many prospered and very few let the events of the past drag them down or their progeny either.

People can cry, wallow in their misery and use the past as an excuse for the failures of today or they can swear to "never forget" and get on with their lives and the business of making better ones for their children. Excuses are easy to make. Successes are a bit more difficult.
Sadly the two are not equal .. As it isn't equal to most people's struggles.. Of course it doesn't stop people from suggesting .. X made it out of conditions Y .. Why hasn't Z made it out of A. All the while ignoring A!=Y. I have a good knowledge of history .. Why don't i refresh you on your jewish history...

#1 - The holocaust didn't happen in America now did it?
#2 - As I recall, jews were given all sorts of passages into countries and a lot of economic support in order to 'get on their feet'.. You didn't do it on your own.. Nations came and battled for your freedom.... When one of your people decided the way to reunify your people was in a homeland and created the zionist movement.. Many nations came to help you fight the Palestenians to create what is now known as Israel ... Cultural Identity is an important thing.. You'd be amazed at the detrimental effects it has on a person when you systematically destroy it and the history of it ... This was done many times over to African Americans .. over a period of over 500 years....

As for Israel, In case you forgot :

In 1947, the United Nations Special Committee on Palestine (UNSCOP) recommended that western Palestine should be partitioned into a Jewish state, an Arab state and a UN-controlled territory (Corpus separatum) around Jerusalem.[37] This partition plan was adopted on November 29, 1947 with UN GA Resolution 181, 33 votes in favor, 13 against, and 10 abstentions. The vote led to celebrations in the streets of Jewish cities.[38] However, the Palestinian Arabs and the Arab states rejected the UN decision, demanding a single state and removal of Jewish migrants, leading to the 1948 Arab–Israeli War.

After your people were freed from the holocaust which in no way lasted as long as slavery did for African Americans... The world came to your aid in basically slicing through Palestine in other to create a 'motherland' and mecca of your culture/identity...

When you came to America, your people came under protection, nourishment, and freedom... You came of a free mind and of an industrious intelligent background.... My people came as slaves.. See the big difference?

#3 - Germany paid your people in reparations and still to this day have programs to right the wrong behind what they did .. I spent over a month in Germany getting a great history lesson in it...Your modern day German is ashamed of such history and is humbled by it .. Whereas, in America, given the big fruit bowl of cultures/races we have here ... No one seems to really give a crap or care about what African Americans endured long before their behinds got here. We basically built this nation under slavery w/ our blood sweat and tears.. The nation of opportunity that immigrants come and now thrive in... look around w/ total ignorance of the history and ask .. wtf is wrong w/ you people...

Germany Has Paid Out More Than $61.8 Billion in Third Reich Reparations
Germany Has Paid Out More Than $61.8 Billion in Third Reich Reparations
Reparations Agreement between Israel and West Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
#4 - Slavery and Racial discrimination against African Americans was kicked off in the late 1500's ... Try 500 years of holcaust to destroy your culture and identity ...

The first African slaves arrived in the present-day United States as part of the San Miguel de Gualdape colony (most likely located in the Winyah Bay area of present-day South Carolina), founded by Spanish explorer Lucas Vásquez de Ayllón in 1526.

#5 - You retained your culture/heritage.. It wasn't destroyed over the long period of time slavery was.. and continued to be systematically stunted via laws that made us 2nd rate citizens all the way into the 1970s...

#6 - Many nations helped you rebuild your motherland

... Anyway, I don't care to rattle on anymore.. the two are not equal .. Blacks never got reparations.. We endured systematic hell for over 5 centuries ..
500 Years Later - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The two are not equal and its nothing but pure ignorance to equate the two.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 07-12-2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
The two are not equal and its nothing but pure ignorance to equate the two.
You're right. They're not. Six million blacks weren't slaughtered in a short time span after having been divested of all their wordly belongings.

The pure ignorance comes from the cult of victimhood, with accompanying attitude, steadfastly maintained as a ready excuse for not having gotten on with their lives.

I have worked with brilliant people of every race and nationality whose successes make mine pale in comparison and the one thing they have in common is a vision of the possible, a drive to achieve it and a "can do" attitude that brooks no excuses.

You are now free to wander around the cabin and continue with your whining!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
You're right. They're not. Six million blacks weren't slaughtered in a short time span after having been divested of all their wordly belongings.
No they weren't .. instead, over 200 million+ were sent to hell on earth for over 500 years. I would expect you to confuse which will have a greater long term effect .. Especially when you reflect on the fact that jews came to America not on slave ships but of their own will. They took their worldly belongings.. But you kept your culture, your soul.. your knowledge, and you're identity ... Over the short span of time your people were tortured over the period of the holocaust .. You were able to retain the foundation from which you could rebuild from... Try going through that for over 500 years and see how the hell you turn out.

Quote:
The pure ignorance comes from the cult of victimhood, with accompanying attitude, steadfastly maintained as a ready excuse for not having gotten on with their lives.
I'm not a victim.. LOL, far from it. I speak though about those who are.. Don't get the two confused. Thanks also for ignoring all the huge differences between African Americans and jews who happened to settle in America. I don't even want to get into the large religious base of Christians in America who are taught that Jews are god's gift to the earth.

Quote:
I have worked with brilliant people of every race and nationality whose successes make mine pale in comparison and the one thing they have in common is a vision of the possible, a drive to achieve it and a "can do" attitude that brooks no excuses.
I too have. I'm one of them. No one ever got in the way of my success in life. If they did, I steamrolled them. Jews got reparations out the whazzo from Germany, maybe I should fly over to Israel and tell them to give it back.. After all, it's all about attitude right...

Quote:
You are now free to wander around the cabin and continue with your whining!
You're free to be ignorant as well.. After all, everyone who doesn't have anything in life has a personal problem. 500 years of slavery .. Just given rights 40-50 years ago.. Yeah, within one generation you expect all the impacts to go away. You speak of no understanding at all.. And I frankly don't care to give you any more of mine.

Strong rebuttal that makes you look like a fool = whining .. Fine, we all get it ..
Have a great day

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 07-12-2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
He kind of isn't. Regardless .. Affirmative action is here and here to stay for a while... Go google and find that facts that he is drawing reference from. Nothing is debunked until you debunk it w/ good facts/data.. Which I don't see anyone doing...

Life is about aptitude, drive, opportunity, and a whole host of other things.. W/o opportunity, you're just a kid w/ a dream... Due to many human factors and just the fact that people are racist/biased (you just are) ... Sometimes, an overarching body/rule needs to step in to make sure the U.S doesn't turn into brasil .. where the darkies (minorities) end up in slums and the light skinned people in A/C offices towering above them... If you think this is a great outcome, you're more than welcome to pull together groups of people and push out AA... Something tells me though, your dollars will just be redirected into Armored cars and personal body guards.

I attended a magnet school when I was young.. It made the world of the difference in how I turned out .. My grades... just as good (once I was given the opportunity).
Welcome to America, you create your own opportunity. Now quit whining.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Welcome to America, you create your own opportunity. Now quit whining.
My people were welcomed here over 500 years ago on slave ships and built America.. Welcome to the land we built. I've built my opportunity. As America attempts to repay pitifully a people w/ pennies on the dollar (via : AA/etc) from what they took, how about you quit whining about it and go .. Create your own opportunity. This whole thread is full of whiners against AA .. Take your own advice, move on and quit whining if you don't understand the history of the country and the modern day programs that are attempting to pay in part for what it did to a group of people.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
You speak of no understanding at all.. And I frankly don't care to give you any more of mine.

Strong rebuttal that makes you look like a fool = whining .. Fine, we all get it ..
Have a great day
Thank you, I will. And you're right. There's no sense discussing it because it's certainly not going to change your claimed 500 years of inbred victimization. By the way, this country isn't quite that old and much of the slavery that existed was inter-tribal, but let's not let facts stand in the way of a good whine.

Have a great evening!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I will. And you're right. There's no sense discussing it because it's certainly not going to change your claimed 500 years of inbred victimization. By the way, this country isn't quite that old and much of the slavery that existed was inter-tribal, but let's not let facts stand in the way of a good whine.

Have a great evening!
Pure lies... One of the biggest pieces of propaganda centered around enslavement of Africans .... You are collapsing three types of people in one stroke : perpetrators, collaborators, and victims..

There were Africans who collaborated w/ the Europeans .. People are corruptible. There were jews who collaborated w/ the Nazis .. The jews aren't declared as responsible for their hollocaust because a few corrupt people collaborated w/ the Nazis .. Neither are you going to sit here and suggest that Africans are responsible because a few collaborated w/ the European perpetrators of slavery.

Inbred victimization.. Yeah, and by your logic.. the jews endured inbred oven roasting....

You have no facts and I dare you try and find some. All you have is some propaganda story you've probably been fed by someone who is equally ignorant..

As far as the first slave arriving in Modern day America.. Here's my source :
San Miguel de Gualdape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The first group of African Americans to set foot on what is now the United States were brought by Ayllón to erect the settlement. The employment of African slaves in the 1526 colony is the first instance of African slave-labour within the present territory of the United States. Upon political disputes within the settlers, there was an uprising among the slaves, who fled to the interior and presumably settled with the native American people.

Where's yours for your claims?

You have a good evening. I sure am having mine. I am enjoying the good whine from people complaining about pennies on the dollar that are justifiably being given back to people they were taken from.

http://youtu.be/4gTYC-lJZvY?t=3m40s

Having some good laughs by the way.. Thread is full of winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California