Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times

Advertisements

There is all sorts of "anti public employee" sentiment, especially on this board. Everytime something negative comes out, thread after thread starts. NO ONE ever says the positive aspects of public employees; it seems to be "left out" of every discussion. Why? Because they get something you don't.

UPDATE 1-Calpers posts 20.7 pct return in June-ended year | Reuters

"The California Public Employees' Retirement System, the biggest U.S. public pension fund, said on Monday its investments earned 20.7 percent for the year ended June 30, marking its best performance in 14 years.
The Sacramento, California-based fund, known as Calpers, said in a statement that over the 12 months ended in June its assets increased to $237.5 billion, marking ongoing progress in a recovery to their all-time high."

CalPERS adds $12 billion to California economy, study says: CalPERS adds $12 billion to California economy, study says - Los Angeles Times

"The California Public Employees' Retirement System pumped nearly $12 billion into the state's economy last year through benefits paid to retirees and other beneficiaries, making it "a significant economic engine in most California communities," a new study says."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
There is all sorts of "anti public employee" sentiment, especially on this board. Everytime something negative comes out, thread after thread starts. NO ONE ever says the positive aspects of public employees; it seems to be "left out" of every discussion. Why? Because they get something you don't.

UPDATE 1-Calpers posts 20.7 pct return in June-ended year | Reuters

"The California Public Employees' Retirement System, the biggest U.S. public pension fund, said on Monday its investments earned 20.7 percent for the year ended June 30, marking its best performance in 14 years.
The Sacramento, California-based fund, known as Calpers, said in a statement that over the 12 months ended in June its assets increased to $237.5 billion, marking ongoing progress in a recovery to their all-time high."

CalPERS adds $12 billion to California economy, study says: CalPERS adds $12 billion to California economy, study says - Los Angeles Times

"The California Public Employees' Retirement System pumped nearly $12 billion into the state's economy last year through benefits paid to retirees and other beneficiaries, making it "a significant economic engine in most California communities," a new study says."
One trick pony

Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
One trick is all they need so long as they can meet their oligations to the retirees.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
One trick pony
I wonder what the "pony" would look like, without that 12 billion dollars? You complain about your "tax dollar." Well, that tax dollar would have to be made up somewhere, now wouldn't it? If the state's budget were down another couple of billion, where do you think its going to make up the difference?

Not too mention, all that money being spent at local stores, goods, etc. ALL of which help out EVERYONE.

As I have said before, I shall say again: The issue isn't so easy. Its very complex and people have a tendency to oversimplify it.

CalPERS is extremely solvent. The fact they have made a 20% increase means less the state has to give them, if anything at all. They are, once again, almost completely running on their own, without any outside help. They have also taken measures not to allow what occurred in 2007; once again, not needing the state or anyone else to bail them out.

Employee's who haven't paid money into the system, now are (I've paid 12% for 22 yrs). Almost every police/fire union has voted to pay more into PERS, and increase their retirement age for new employee's.

People get what they asked for and its still never enough for them.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
A lot of folks who don't work for the state don't begrudge pensions, and I'm one of those who support pension plans for everyone (including non-Gov't workers).

However, I think that folks who complain when the shortfalls require dips into the General Fund have legitimate concerns/objections, and the public payment of health insurance in retirement is an issue for some folks too.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
If Calpers gained the money then the state does not have to pay a penny and shouldn't.

I contend that Calpers is full of corruption, fraud and I believe that news article about as much as I believe the states is run by conservatives.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times
Everyone in the investment world knows Calpers doubled down on risky sh*t and got lucky :
Calpers Hopes Riskier Bets Will Restore Its Health - NYTimes.com

Had things not went their way, they'd be up in smoke now... Remind you of anything? Yeah, 'Wallstreet' mantra 'too catastrophic to fail'. You should know 20% returns aren't normal and of course came w/ a crap ton of risk.. The thing you must note is June-early July exhibited a lower high and is probably the top for the market for the next year or so ... Lets see how much the fund returns now...

I think its great that they got lucky .. Means great things for the pension holders/California.. But lets keep it real and note that they rolled the dice... lost ... Then decide to put the car/house keys on the table and got extremely lucky they didn't loose everything.

Heads they win .. Tails you loose.. If you're o.k w/ boasting about those terms (the same ones wallstreet used to bankrupt America) .. by all means cheer it on !

Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
loose/lose

Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
loose/lose
well now wait a minute ... some folks have loose tails

Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Yup, a blind man throwing darts at the stock page could have made 20% over the last 2 years. Really since the plunge in March 2009 I have made close to 39% returns for the two years on my retirement investments. That puts me at just over 11% of 2008, which is what my long term rate of return is averaging going back to 1985. So all that run did was make up for what I lost and then put me back on track for my average rate of return. However two years of stellar returns does not make a fund viable for the long term.

All my retirement investments are self funded and sustainable without requiring any money from the taxpayers. When CalPers can boast about that then I will give a crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California