U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 PM

35 posts, read 51,719 times

Advertisements

It's a shame.

While I would never have done something like this - mild acrophobia assures that - I have occasionally done something upon which I looked back with a realization that it was very foolish and could have turned out poorly, to put it mildly. So I'll pass on being judgmental.

Besides, they paid a price far out of proportion to a momentary lapse of reason. The curious thing is that thousands and thousands of other do the same every year, and pay no such price.

Such is chance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 05:08 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,022,519 times
I worked there during the summer while in college and the stupidity of "tourons" never ceased to amaze us workers (and people were continually getting killed doing foolish things like this). In spite of the crowds its not Disneyland, its wilderness and dangerous. Railing and signs are there for a reason.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 PM

248 posts, read 506,737 times
The water level is real high this year due to the record snow fall in the Sierra's. Sometimes by the end of summer in dry years there is only so much as a trickle of water going over the falls and people have climbed over the barrier to stand above the falls. Still seems stupid to me. I have also seen some crazy people climbing on the outside of the cables on the way up to Half Dome. I just hope to never witness someone falling to the death in Yosemite. That image would haunt me forever.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 PM

1,585 posts, read 3,173,340 times
Yikes, my stomach gets queasy just thinking about that platform, let along climbing over the barricades!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:47 PM

11,436 posts, read 17,157,275 times
I was just in Yosemite last week for a few days, I just don't understand what people are thinking. it's a sad situation.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:07 AM

5,706 posts, read 8,132,783 times
It'd be nice if evolution would remove the feeling of invincibility in young people. When I was a young teen we lived in a small town with not much to do. There was a water tower in a patch of woods and that gave us something to do.

We climbed to the top and hung out. As a dare, we'd all walk to the edge of the tower and stand there with half of our feet hanging in mid air off the tower. One tiny mistake or gust of wind and down we'd gone onto a pile of rocks. That was just one case of "I should be dead" incident I had.

At that age, you're pretty much brain dead when it comes to understanding the consequences of your extremely stupid actions.

The kid who jumped the railing and went over the falls was older, but not yet out of the feeling invincible age.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 AM

16,439 posts, read 22,376,391 times
When I first heard this story of two guys and a girl going over the falls, I got really worried. I have three friends, two guys and a girl who are backpacking there right now and the girl is sick. Glad it wasn't them but I feel for the families who lost their loved ones.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,322,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
It'd be nice if evolution would remove the feeling of invincibility in young people.
Funny thing, that's exactly what these three people did. They evidently had excess feelings of invincibility and depleted levels of caution, so they did stupid stuff and it got them killed... Thus removing their genes from the human gene pool. This is a case of Darwinian evolution at its best! Those of us with more reasonable caution are living on, and presumably having children who are also more reasonably cautious.

Unfortunately if any of them had children then the exercise was wasted.

By the way, having some individuals who do not have reasonable caution is good for humanity. They're the explorers, the risk takers, the ones who explore the extremes and then either kill themselves taking risks and caution the rest of us to not repeat those risks, or sometimes they find new lands, new foods or new civilizations.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,978,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
Man, how about the person who jumped the railing to try and help? Terrible.
I feel sorry for him. His instinct was to help and probably reacted without thinking. I don't feel sorry for the others who chose to venture out there.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 PM

7,115 posts, read 19,065,595 times
my understanding was that 2 of the 3 hikers went over the railing to help, which means that one person's bad decision killed three people. really, really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California